Havana Flights

AA191

Advanced
Sep 17, 2002
I watch with amazement at the flights into and out of Havana on FlightView and from time to time see a CO charter flight into Havana. How does that work and wouldn't it be nice to have scheduled service to the island?

Would be great, until the Cuban (Mafia) nationals are seen for what they are this embargo drama will continue. As though it has enacted some kind of change for the better for the people, still on the island.

AA and others also are flying these charter flights. We do on and off Havana, Santiago de Cuba and Holguin.

Like being in any other Caribbean airport except for the state police who search the plane and monitor who gets on. Kind of give you an idea of what it was like when Braniff, Eastern, and Pan Am were flying the routes to Central America, and the government rebels and gorillas were fighting each other for power.

There is also flytecomm, for tracking flights world wide. Its part of OSX sherlock. Also available free on the web.

AA191 said:
wouldn't it be nice to have scheduled service to the island?
[post="250263"][/post]​

Believe CO would be out of luck, at least at first: Besides Cubana, the US carriers that would get initial scheduled authority to Cuba if/when relations are normalized would be AA, DL, and UA. Here's why: In 1961, when scheduled US/Cuba passenger flights were halted, authority was held by Braniff, Delta, National, and Pan Am. Braniff's route authority would've passed on to Eastern in 1982 when they took over BN's Latin American routes, and thence to AA in 90/91 when AA did the same during EAL's final collapse.
UAL took over PA's Latin American routes at the end of '91 when PA finally threw in the towel (NAL merged into PAA in 1980).

mga707 said:
Besides Cubana, the US carriers that would get initial scheduled authority to Cuba if/when relations are normalized would be AA, DL, and UA.
[post="252305"][/post]​

First of all this was a long time ago and as you say "if and when" relations are normalized, this will be one of those points where the government appoints who will fly there not "who had the authority" that was passed down. Second of all your "IF' is the biggest part of your statement, It might read "if some of them are still going to be around. :shock:

I think CO will still be around for a while even after 2 BKs and their current financial status.

kiowa said:
I think CO will still be around for a while even after 2 BKs and their current financial status.
[post="252385"][/post]​
The post was refering mainly to UA, but could also include DL or to a lesser extent but highly unlikely AA.

Bizman said:
First of all this was a long time ago and as you say "if and when" relations are normalized, this will be one of those points where the government appoints who will fly there not "who had the authority" that was passed down.

While my post was at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek, there was some truth in it. As the bilateral agreement between the US and Cuba that existed in 1961 was never legally rescinded by either party, to my knowledge, but merely "temporarily suspended", those carriers, or successors thereof, that had the route authority "way back when" would have the legal upper hand as far as re-establishing service, at least until a new bilateral agreement was negotiated.
It's a bit more complicated than our government simply "appoint(ing) who will fly there'!

How healthy is Castro? I think everybody has agreed to keep the status quo until he dies or steps down - there's no apparent urgency to do otherwise on either side.

US airlines are no longer allowed to fly scheduled charter service into Cuba since 2004. CO, as well as AA and other used to run charter service into Cuba all the time, but the current administration toughened the rules allowing Cuban-Americans to travel into Cuba. Under the old rules, those eligable could travel once a year to the island, now they are only allowed to travel once every three years, effectivly drying up that market.

Both AA and CO continue to run multiple daily scheduled charter flights to Cuba. There is no let up in demand, For those who can get a seat on a direct flight to Cuba from Miami use Cancun or Cayman.

Don't think so Mikey..
Neither AA or CO have permission to fly directly into Cuba since GW implented the policy change. I see no service by CO in the system what so ever (dont have acess to AA). If you are talking about flying into CUN or another Mexico destination then switching to a Mexican carrier then that is a different matter.

COX maybe the carrier flying it. AE flys twice a day to Havana and not sure if we are still doing Hoguin and Santiago.

The other cities were maily Americans using a thrid country to get in to Cuba, now seeing Cubans locked out doing the same.

Latest posts