He Does It AGAIN-- Art's Latest WN Trip

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
A little commentary on my most recent WN experience--for me the only weak spot is standing by for earlier flights, but you can't have everything. Thanks WN!

I had to go to Marlyand (suburban DC actually) for a big meeting Wednesday morning, so I have another chance to sample WN. Booking the trip was effortless, and since it was less than 7 days out, only two fare buckets remained-of course I chose Business Select again. I was able to check in yesterday at the 24 hour mark with no problem, but I was already no. 9 in the A group.

I was prepared to clean up a little in preparation for my wife's return, and do another load of laundry, but last night Lauren called in a panic that she accidentally sat on her PC and broke the LCD screen. I spent three hours on the phone with Dell (never again), and after all that they refused to send a tech to repair the unit on site since they could not troubleshoot it. I paid for the MOST expensive service program offering 24/7 service ON SITE, but after 3 hours I just gave up. She has to send the machine back. DOH.

In any case more time this morning, a full day work in 4 hours, and off to ISP. It took a whopping 20 minutes door to door and I walked into an empty terminal and breezed right through security and off to Gate A2 where I met my associate Chris. We had a few minutes to relax before boarding began, and even with A9, I was able to secure the exit seat without the seat in front (a fave). Again it is amazing how they can board a full airplane in less than 25 minutes, with few if any issues, and still close up 5 minutes ahead of scheduled departure.

I notice that WN taxis on 2 engines all the time, and that they taxi slightly faster than others--in a few minutes we do a rolling start on RY 6 and off we go. The departure is smooth and as soon as able, the FA's are up delivering beverages (STILL free), followed by a snack service. This flight was 48 minutes runway to runway, and they managed a full beverage service with a followup snack basket..

A beautiful day on the Eastern Seaboard, we were able to see the airport pretty far out, and flew a close pattern with a dogleg approach and landing, then right to the gate for an early arrival.

All in all it was another great experience--and I have already checked in for the return, and again have A1!

After a very successful meeting in Beltsville, we headed back to BWI around 3PM, quite a bit ahead of schedule. Our colleague was on UA back to LAX, so we said goodbye on the rental shuttle and went inside to see if we could get on the earlier flight (4:45 vs. 6:25). We made it to the counter and a lovely agent, who told us we were the nicest ISP people she had met (says alot for NY doesn't it?).

She tried to move us up as we were both on Business Select tickets but there was no availability. My employee chose to go on the standby list, but I declined, as I refuse to be the last person on the plane and find a center seat and no overhead space--I have been very adaptive of late (flying WN in the first place is an example of that), but I draw the line at center seats.

We went through security, and to the gate, and plugged in (they have those work stations every couple of gates). The earlier flight was indeed sold out, and my friend did not get on, although they claimed they called his name (they didn't as I was sitting right next to the podium). So we decided to go to the diner in the WN terminal and had a nice dinner.

Unfortunately the flight scheduled to leave at 6:25 was pushed back to 8:00 due to a late aircraft. We later found that the plane had originated in Omaha that day, and took a weather delay there, which rippled right down through the entire day's flying for that particular aircraft. They did, however, make regular and informative announcements, with many apologies, and told us when the inbound from RSW was in range, etc, and that they would try to do a 20 minute turn to get us out.

The plane finally arrived around 7:38PM, and a whopping 26 passengers got off! Almost immediately we began boarding. I had boarding number A1, so right after the wheelchair passengers, I got on, and took my exit seat. Believe it or not, at 7:59 PM, the door was closed, and a FULL flight to ISP was ready for pushback.

Quick taxi out, and we were on our way. Taking off to the east cut about 10 minutes from the flight time, and we headed northeast toward Sea Isle, and on into Islip. Again, a FULL service was managed, along with a snack basket, on what wound up being about a 42 minute flight.

All in all, with three trips under my belt now, I have to say I have yet to meet a rude or unhelpful WN employee, and despite a glitch or two, I have really had no issues with them. I am not sure I would use them for a transcon, but they just may see more of me in the near future.......now who ever thought you'd hear me say that?

Art, I have no idea of how tall or short you are...but right now I think you must stand about 6'10". Ut takes a big man to admit that he might have been wrong about something. Kudos to you.

All you are seeing is what a lot of us have been telling you all along --- nobody gets treated as "elite" but everyone gets treated well. They know how to run an airline.....even during irregular operations and if you keep flying 'em sooner or later you will run in to bad day at black rock. It happens on everyone. My experience has been when just about everything that can possibly go wrong is going wrong, the WN folks keep you informed and try to maintain some semblance of a sense of humor.

WN still offers value. I am flying to North Dakota the hard way next week (WN from Love Field to Denver, Great Lakes from Denver to Williston) and even though F9 was a few bucks cheaper, and even though both UA and F9 will thru-check my bags and I wouldn't have to deal with them in Denver....I am gonna fly the ugly plane people.

They've earned some loyalty.

PS I hope you are getting your extra credits for Business Select on Rapid Rewards. A few more trips and the postman will bring you that round trip ticket not to mention the much coveted drink coupons.

Good Luck & Thanks Again, Art, for being honest.

All in all, with three trips under my belt now, I have to say I have yet to meet a rude or unhelpful WN employee, and despite a glitch or two, I have really had no issues with them. I am not sure I would use them for a transcon, but they just may see more of me in the near future.......now who ever thought you'd hear me say that?

I have to agree with Art, the SW 'product'* is more or less perfect for short-haul flights such as ISP-BWI-ISP.

* product = easy/friendly www site, simple pricing, friendly staff, clean Boeing 737 aircraft, consistent inflight service

... We made it to the counter and a lovely agent, who told us we were the nicest ISP people she had met (says alot for NY doesn't it?).

ROFL :)

Art, I'm at least six inches taller than you, and I'm comfy in a regular WN seat, so don't worry if something goes wrong one day and you don't get an exit row seat. Thanks for the trip report!

Latest posts