Help! Hawaiian And American Won't Answer My Questi

AirDude

Feb 10, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
Our expert answers your questions about frequent-flier miles.
Question: I am a bit confused regarding frequent-flier mileage accounts. I have reservations on American Airlines (I have no frequent-flier account on that airline — yet). I do have a Hawaiian Airlines account. I want to use the mileage from American Airlines on Hawaiian Airlines. What do I have to do to use miles from AA on Hawaiian? Do I open a frequent-flier account on American, or do I give them my Hawaiian Airlines account number? I have tried calling the airlines and they each say to call the other airline. Can you help?

Answer: I think I can help, but first I'm going to give these two airlines a public scolding. There's absolutely no reason why you should have been told to call the "other" airline. It's simple customer service and if the airlines don't understand their partnerships, then they almost don't deserve your business.

Let's get to your answer. The first thing you need to do is be clear what your long-term strategy is for collecting miles. If you live in Hawaii, then it may be best for you to continue to earn miles with Hawaiian Airlines since most of its other partners will be local for you. This will give you a better way to maximize future miles earnings through restaurants, credit cards and other local partnerships. While the American AAdvantage programs offer some similar ways to earn miles while living in Hawaii, you're likely to do better with the local program.

If you do not live in Hawaii, then you might consider enrolling in the American AAdvantage program. This program ranks among the best and has a huge number of partnerships and opportunities to earn miles.

It does matter which miles you wish to earn. When flying Hawaiian, you can earn either American AAdvantage miles or miles in your Hawaiian Airlines program. Simply determine which program you wish to earn miles on and either provide that membership number when you check in or (I highly recommend doing this) call the reservation desk. You can earn HawaiinaMiles when flying American Airlines.

In the future, once you have earned enough miles in American AAdvantage for your free travel reward, simply call the reservation desk and explain that you want to use your AAdvantage miles for free travel on Hawaiian. As always, explaining the reason for your call to any customer service line will help expedite the answer. Hope this helps.

Read previous columns

Do you have a question about your frequent-flier miles or bonus programs? Randy Petersen, publisher of InsideFlyer magazine, can help. E-mail him a question at [email protected].