hiring in DTW/STL

Any fed mechanics on the board any hiring in DTW or STL let me know pm me thanks

I haven't seen any postings for these two stations in a while. LAX, EWR, OAK, MEM is the quickest way into a FedEx AMT job. You could always get in as a handler in MEM or a local station to get your foot in the door.

I would love to work for fedex as an AMT, and reading to your post, you suggest to start as a handler ?? but what kind of handler you mean ?? those guys that work loading and unloading the airplanes ?? or the guys that sort packages around the cities ?? thanks in advance...

TPAA&P

Ok, DTW and STL have not posted any openings for a very long time. I haven't checked the Sr list for those two, but with no openings they very likely have pretty high senority. What job does a "handler" do, you ask? Well, that seems to be a pretty generic job title at fedex. A handler loads plans, loads trucks and works the belt. The stations that hire off the street are LAX, OAK, MEM, IND, EWR. Sometimes ANC goes to the street and last year HNL hired off the street. Some people that have border line experience will take a jop with fedex as a handler and just keep putting in for amt jobs at whatever station comes up, an after a while they make it. The catch? What ever job you take as a new hire you are locked into for 18 months. After that you could start bidding amt jobs since ALL openings are posted internal first and than go to the street.

ohhh I see, so you have to spend 18 months as a hamdler before you put in for a internal posting huh ?? Am I understanding you correctly ?? and by the way, what do you mean with "some people with border line experience" ?? Sorry for my ignorance....I didn't understand that. Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

TPAA&P

Many A&Ps have taken PT or FT jobs with FedEx as handlers or box throwers. Min. time as a handler is 1yr ( I think) before applying for open internal AMT jobs. Any current Fedex AMT has priority over non-AMT fedex emp. on AMT openings.

I know of several A&Ps with 10+ yrs hanger experience who box handled and during AMT openings where denied line positions and were forced to wait for hanger openings. Only certain stations have hangers-IND, OAK, LAX, MEM maybe other cities?

IND may never go to the street due to the ex-UAL A&Ps in the area box handling or AMTs transferring back to Indy.

Once becoming a Fedex AMT, 18 months at station until eligible to bid. OAK maybe 24 months at station.

Hopefully that information helps..

Best regards,

JG

ohh I see now....not too easy.....

I wonder how and/or where you can apply for an AMT postion directly....Do you know??

TPAA&P

How to get in to FedEx? That's actually a good question. When I hired in eleven years ago, things were not the same as they are now. Back in those days if you had a buddy that worked there as an AMT and would vogue for you, an interview could be had with the local station hiring manager. Pending the required acft type experience and how much influence your buddy had it was a piece of cake. Well things have changed and line managers can not hire like that anymore due to some discrimination lawsuits from people that wouldn’t qualify for the job any way. I’m not sure how it is now, but I would have to say that it still wouldn’t hurt to buddy up with someone that works for FedEx as an amt in your area.

I do not know anybody that works for Fedex..... :down:

That's the problem.... :blink:

TPAA&P :ph34r:

fedex careers on the website. you can search jobs or once logged in with a profile, you may receive email alerts when street openings happen. fedex express is the division.

not the best employment site to navigate.

best regards,

johnny gearpin
I agree about the site comment.

Indy needs combo A&P/Machinist. I know this because I registered with that site years and years ago only to be asked about coming for the application process recently. If this would have been several years ago I would have jumped on it, now things are different in my life and FedEx will never be part of it, one of many reasons, I am now too old to, Do It Again.

Good luck to FedEx finding talent......

I agree about the site comment.
Indy needs combo A&P/Machinist. I know this because I registered with that site years and years ago only to be asked about coming for the application process recently. If this would have been several years ago I would have jumped on it, now things are different in my life and FedEx will never be part of it, one of many reasons, I am now too old to, Do It Again.

Good luck to FedEx finding talent......
Were you at USAirways??

Were you at USAirways??
I retired at 53 out of Pit...Thanks be to the IAM...not that hack outfit called U. I enjoyed the job but hated the company for what they did to the employees. I now work for a great company, the biggest on the planet.

I retired at 53 out of Pit...Thanks be to the IAM...not that hack outfit called U. I enjoyed the job but hated the company for what they did to the employees. I now work for a great company, the biggest on the planet.
GE?

Myself and several other [former] U employees plus several went to the engine facility down south. Miss the people and the work at times but not the mental brutality of working for an airline who exploits their work force with government backing via bankruptcy laws.