Honda designates AA to replace UA as a preferred carrier

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Saw this posted elsewhere. Industry leading discount incentives. Uh-oh.

American Airlines Replaces United Airlines as a Preferred Carrier

MAR. 20 - As was announced in an email to all associates last week, effective April 1, 2007, American Airlines will replace United Airlines as a preferred carrier for the Honda Companies of North America. After several months of extensive negotiations, Honda and United have mutually agreed to discontinue our contractual relationship.

Why Honda is Changing to American Airlines

Essentially, United's proposal reduced the discount offered to Honda's traveling associates and required unrealistic goals for HAM, AHM and HMA.

American Airlines offered Honda industry leading discount incentives to our international and domestic destinations with potential savings of more than $1,000,000.00 annually.

American Airlines is the largest carrier in the world with 4,000 flights daily.

American Airlines is the only major U.S. carrier not to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection.

American Airlines ranked among the top 5 U.S. carriers for service in 2006 versus United's 9th place ranking. (Wall Street Journal, February 6, 2007)

American Airlines is a long time supporter of Honda sponsored activities including, among others, the L.A. Marathon and Acura L.A. Bike Tour, the South Bay Classic and the Rose Bowl.

How this affects Miles/Status

To ensure a smooth transition, the North America Travel Team will work with American Airlines to match your frequent flyer status levels in United programs. For instance, if you are a Premiere Executive member with United Airlines, when you transition to American Airlines, you will automatically be given their equivalent status level.

Any existing miles you currently have on United Airlines will remain with United. Associates can still earn United miles by flying All Nippon Airlines, which is still a Honda preferred airline in the Star Alliance.

"American senior executives have personally visited with Honda and assured us that they will make this transition as seamless as possible for our business travelers," said Charles Franklin, manager of Corporate Procurement. "They have demonstrated a sincere commitment to customer service and provided us full access to their top level of management."

Honda Preferred Airlines
All Honda associates traveling on company business are required to fly on preferred carriers. Effective April 1, our preferred carriers are:

Air Canada
All Nippon Airlines
American Airlines
Delta Airlines
Japan Airlines
Northwest Airlines

Interesting. Wasn't losing the bid for the Honda account one of the main reasons AA dropped ORD-NGO so quickly? Perhaps it will resurface?

Interesting. Wasn't losing the bid for the Honda account one of the main reasons AA dropped ORD-NGO so quickly? Perhaps it will resurface?

Perhaps, but I thought that UA beat AA for a Toyota corporate contract in late 2005, leading to the quick demise of NGO (which the press releases blamed on 2005's fuel price spikes). B)

Ah, yes, it was Toyota. Those Japanese car companies all look alike to me.

Leading discount on what may be high fare tickets to begin with are likely better than something from Orbitz taking the seat...what are you trading to get this traffic is a better analysis. Not sure what Honda's top O&D's are but that's more important.

I guess this new Accord will be a good Fit for AA. I'm sure the Pilots will agree :up:

I guess this new Accord will be a good Fit for AA. I'm sure the Pilots will agree :up:

:up:

Civic minded individuals setting out on a transpacific Odyssey probably see this as a Prelude to further cooperation.

"American Airlines is the only major U.S. carrier not to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. "

Southwest is not a major U.S. carrier?

Not in Honda's eyes. They appear to have written the press release.