Hours of Work

Buck

Veteran
Contributor
Aug 20, 2002
www.fairtax.org
I understand that the UA pilots average $205000 a year and 9 days a month.

Why do pilots work so few hours?

How many hours a month do flight attendants work?

Why are we all not working 40 hours a week?

Pilots and Flight Attendants only get paid for the hours they are flying, not the time they are away from home. A four day trip may only be worth about 21 hours. That''s why. To work 40 actual would not be allowed.

Man, if RV4 welded for 40 hours a week, we''d only need 1 welder for the whole damn airline!

"I understand that the UA pilots average $205000 a year and 9 days a month"

Gimme some of that!

I just finished a 3 day, paid 15:00 hours, gone from base 63 hours, gone from home 68 hours.

Buck, thats 1.5+ weeks for you isn''t it?

Take my 2 day trip from yesterday....13.08 hours of pay, but I was actually on duty for 22.05 hours between the two days and away from home for 31.35 hours.

----------------
On 3/29/2003 3:09:14 PM AAviator wrote:

Man, if RV4 welded for 40 hours a week, we'd only need 1 welder for the whole damn airline!

----------------​
I hear that once the TWU is finished, 1 welder is closer than farther to the number of welders left. The rest will lose base pay and skill premium when bumped into OSM positions. Total pay/benefit reduction for the lowly welder will be about $9-$11 per hour. Over 100 TWU Crew Chiefs will lose positions in Tulsa alone.

----------------
On 3/29/2003 2:40:21 PM Fly wrote:

Pilots and Flight Attendants only get paid for the hours they are flying, not the time they are away from home. A four day trip may only be worth about 21 hours. That''s why. To work 40 actual would not be allowed.

----------------​
Shall we add that they are not paid for the time between the mandatory sign in, an hour prior to scheduled departure, and actual block out time, nor for pre flight checks and preparations, nor for the time that the passengers are boarding or deplaning? The flight attendants are also neither paid for time spent serving pre flight drinks and hanging coats in first class nor for helping coach passengers stow away carry on luggage. Let''s also not forget that completing flight reports and meeting with supervisors is off the clock.

----------------
On 3/29/2003 6:23:41 PM FA Mikey wrote:

It would be like a Mechanic or FSC only being paid for the actual time fixing or servicing the plane.

----------------​
How about only being paid for the actual time fixing or servicing the plane and receiving my compensation?

----------------
On 3/29/2003 3:07:26 PM AAviator wrote:

"I understand that the UA pilots average $205000 a year and 9 days a month"

Gimme some of that!

I just finished a 3 day, paid 15:00 hours, gone from base 63 hours, gone from home 68 hours.

Buck, thats 1.5+ weeks for you isn''t it?

----------------
And I do not get compensated for my drive to and from work nor for clocking in early. 3 days and 15 hours, for me that is 3 days and 28 paid hours. I wonder who is compensated the most? How much do you earn for your 1.5 weeks?

I don''t want to beatch about how much a pilot makes. I do feel confident none would want to trade pay or jobs. I know pilots and Fa s are away from home but they also get to stay in nicer hotels than MOTEL 6. The FAs also get free meals on board. If they have some turn arounnd time its not a bad way to see London or New York and AA pays for hotel and cab fare. Is there also a meal allowance? I''ll bet its more than $20 a day.
As far as getting paid for actual work on an aircraft the AMT or FSC doesn''t get paid at the rate of $150/hr.
Also AMT or FSC doesn''t get paid travel time to and from work either. I wouldn''t mind living in one city and working in another where I would also have a confirmed seat on a flight to from work.
WE all have our burdens to bear. We all know what the pay is and are free to leave at any time. I don''t think anything good will come if we start fighting about each others job. You make $205K cool. You must be worth it. Soon we''ll all find out were not worth as much as we think we are, at least not in the eyes of uncle Don CAArty

Buck, I don''t understand where you''re going with this. Flight crews get paid hourly. The clock starts when the doors are closed and the brakes released. The clock stops when the brakes are set and the door is opened.

"How about only being paid for the actual time fixing or servicing the plane and receiving my compensation?"

Thats all we''re paid for. I got paid 15 hours pay for 3 days of work.

I hate to break it to you, in case you were wondering, pilots are paid more that mechanics. We get no holiday pay either.

Buck, DFWCC I never said that was pay for 68 hours. 68 hours is the time away from my wife and kids that it took to get paid for 15 hours. DFWCC no one gets paid to commute to work. And try going to London 43 trips in a row. Talk about wanting to slash your wrists.......

----------------
On 3/30/2003 7:42:54 AM AAviator wrote:

Buck, DFWCC I never said that was pay for 68 hours. 68 hours is the time away from my wife and kids that it took to get paid for 15 hours. DFWCC no one gets paid to commute to work. And try going to London 43 trips in a row. Talk about wanting to slash your wrists.......

----------------​
AAviator, I''m cool with your pay and the conditions. I know no one gets paid to commute, and no one should be paid extra because they are away from their family. The pay is for putting metal in the air and bringing it down safely. The problem I have is there are many pilots who think they are better than Fsc. Now granted we we got some groughty looking slugs out there but they have a physical job to do. Take for instance a few yrs ago when the pilots wanted a higher boarding priority for they and their families just because "we''re pilots". It was an agenda like that, that causes seperation of teamwork. I have always respected you and the job you do. All I ask, is the same respect.