how bout a full page apology letter in usa today

usflyguy

Dec 14, 2005
as a f/a, i am over it. when i was hired i was told that the last chance an airline has to provide a positive travel experence was thru the crew working the flight. now we are again put in a possible conflict situation by being FORCED to charge our customers $2.00 for a soft drink!! Ithink that AFA should use some of our dues money to place a full page open letter to the public announcing our outrage at this new nickle and diming concept, letting folks out there know this is something we are strongly against and being forced to do. i would love to see doug,sherrie and scott on a flight from phx to phl on the first day we implement this new policy.....have them listen to the abuse that f/as are going to have to endure......but , of course they are aware of what our working group is going to face and they once again prove that they just dont care!!!!

Ithink that AFA should use some of our dues money to place a full page open letter to the public announcing our outrage at this new nickle and diming concept, letting folks out there know this is something we are strongly against and being forced to do.

Good idea, but AFA is to busy spending our dues money on repeatedly trying to unionize airlines that clearly don't want a union. There's not much money left in the till to actually represent dues-paying members. Pitty!

Why all the fuss? Either they pay it or they don't get a drink. Next passenger please. Why make things harder than they already are? We can't control it so deal with it.

We thought losing the closets would cause anarchy and we and the passengers dealt with it. They even hang their own coats now, some of them. Fine by me.

I'm hoping that everyone brings their own drink and gives us less work.

Why all the fuss? Either they pay it or they don't get a drink. Next passenger please. Why make things harder than they already are? We can't control it so deal with it.

We thought losing the closets would cause anarchy and we and the passengers dealt with it. They even hang their own coats now, some of them. Fine by me.

I'm hoping that everyone brings their own drink and gives us less work.
hanging their own jacket in F/C is one thing.....not getting a drink for free after sitting in a 737 for an hour on the ground in the middle of august is another....its just another bad customer service move.

I agree it may not be the best customer service move but again it's not really in our control.

I also think it will be terribly unsanitary to handle all this new cash.

Remember, these things come and go as economic conditions improve or other airlines don't match it. It's a desperate move for sure but let's keep in mind that it's survival of the fittest now.

I want to see us survive and will do what it takes.

Also, just like giving out free alcohol because of big delays we can use our discretion and give out free beverages or cups of water as well.

Well if you're not offended by being compared to a movie theatre Consession Stand Worker by the Vice President of In-Flight then you probably don't care much about the profession or the customer

Actually, I did not get offended by it. Too many people are out there looking to be offended and I would rather choose not to let every thing bother me.

As for me caring for my profession or the customer, you are in no position to judge me. You don't know me. BTW, I receive many Above and Beyond certificates every quarter and have won a Chairman's Award for customer service, so don't tell me I don't care about customers.

as a f/a, i am over it. when i was hired i was told that the last chance an airline has to provide a positive travel experence was thru the crew working the flight. now we are again put in a possible conflict situation by being FORCED to charge our customers $2.00 for a soft drink!! Ithink that AFA should use some of our dues money to place a full page open letter to the public announcing our outrage at this new nickle and diming concept, letting folks out there know this is something we are strongly against and being forced to do. i would love to see doug,sherrie and scott on a flight from phx to phl on the first day we implement this new policy.....have them listen to the abuse that f/as are going to have to endure......but , of course they are aware of what our working group is going to face and they once again prove that they just dont care!!!!
What you said is the equivalence of the IAM taking out a full page ad announcing outrage over the company charging $15 bucks for a checked bag. The stew union and ramp rat union, by constitution, are not pax advocacy groups but represent the interest of their members. Therein is the context of the organization.

IMO, it's either increase revenue from the pax, manage better, or get it from workers. I am not convinced that management will manage better, and I am not for more concessions so that leaves answer "A". How they get that extra money from the pax is a management decision and charging $2 bucks for a coke is reasonable when airports charge $3 or $4. Besides, if it reduces the amount of beverages consumed, it should free up the amount of pax walking up and down the aisles since those with small bladders won't be going to the potty as much.

How bout these smarts. Just bum the 2 extra bucks off the pax for 'warm cokes', ice not included. Charge just $1 for the ice. I mean why is ice always taken for granted, the ice man is truly offended! And to end all the argument, how bout when you pimp the extra $2 bucks that you also give the pax the "Unlimited Drinks" application which will be good for a year if $150 is tendered?

regards,

I also think it will be terribly unsanitary to handle all this new cash.
You are worried about "unsanitary" and you have a flight PHL-ATH with five passengers puking their guts out, on the aft galley floor, among other places, for seven plus straight hours? Pulease.

Good idea, but AFA is to busy spending our dues money on repeatedly trying to unionize airlines that clearly don't want a union. There's not much money left in the till to actually represent dues-paying members. Pitty!

These were my thoughts exactly.

Well Tim I'm thinking that now might be a unique time where AFA, IAM and FF'ers, regular customers along with other men of goodwill can act in lockstep as ONE VOICE.

Piss off your best customers and they leave, airline loses money, cuts jobs. Bad for Unions

Piss off the rank and file they take it out on customers, regular customers get pissed, fly elsewhere, cut backs unions lose jobs.

Repeat this circle enough times and soon you have no airline and no job.

I think perhaps the time has come for Labor and Elite Customers to work together to hold the likes of Doug Parker accountable to those who do the work and pay the fares.

What say you Tim??
Piney...I don't pay union dues every month to help the elite customers.

First off I don't agree with charging $2.00 for a soft drink, however, you just have to look at the past to see that other airlines in the past have done this. IE: People Express. This would be nothing new. This is no ground breaking procedure, other than the fact we have never done it before.

The problem lies in the fact that we think we are better than we really are. Fact is we aren't. Like everyone else, we have to make money anyway we can. If that means charging for things we have never done before, so be it. And for the people that think just not charging will do something about it and will change SandCastless mind is ludicris. If a ghost rider see's you aren't doing your reqired procedures. IE: charging for beverages, then the company has a legal action against you by you being insubordinate. Insubordination can be used as a way to target you for termination.

Bottom line, I don't like it, but I will not do anything to jepordize my employment. I suggest everyone does the same...

Just my opinion...

Well Tim I'm thinking that now might be a unique time where AFA, IAM and FF'ers, regular customers along with other men of goodwill can act in lockstep as ONE VOICE.

Piss off your best customers and they leave, airline loses money, cuts jobs. Bad for Unions

Piss off the rank and file they take it out on customers, regular customers get pissed, fly elsewhere, cut backs unions lose jobs.

Repeat this circle enough times and soon you have no airline and no job.

I think perhaps the time has come for Labor and Elite Customers to work together to hold the likes of Doug Parker accountable to those who do the work and pay the fares.

What say you Tim??
Interesting. Kindly PM me to further this discussion.

regards,
Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman, 1487, Chicago