How Can We Get The Iam To Vote Fair?

Sep 2, 2002
Lets face it, we all knew every contract would be voted in, by the way they were written. Each contract contained just enough carrot, along with plenty of sticks, to ensure it's passing.

My question is... How can the members of the IAM, force the union to use a third party to conduct their votes?

Not only is this something a real union does in this day and age, but it would also keep us from wondering if the vote was really fair. It doesn't seem suggestion is going to work, as 700 himself has stated that he has tried to get them to do this for years. Maybe if we all decided to quit paying the share of our dues, that the law allows us to do, maybe then they would start listening to us.

Oh right, AMFA, I would love it. However, the IAM has just secured the rights to dues from about 6800 of us, PLUS, ensured AMFA doesn't stand a chance for at least another 3 years! (Those on lay-off have the right to a vote, even though they never will) Nothing like being screwed twice! Hey, I love it being between a rock and a hard place!

Any ideas?

There is only 4,000 Mechanic and Related at US Airways.

If you become a dues objector you become a non-member and can't vote on officers, contracts or strikes.

I think after the results come in that number wil be almost cut in half. I too would like to see a voting system put in place such as the F/A's have.......some how I have never believed the numbers the IAM has given us after each election. As for the dues objector thing it would be no different for me as my vote has gone against the final results of the past few elections, the officers I really think make no difference as all comes down from the top, and I do not golf or am interested in the X-Mas dance. :p

Lots of talk of becoming a dues objector as that is the only way those who are left will get a raise the next few years, or should I say give up even less as I am sure the medical costs will rise again as they have each renewal period.

With the meatball mafia running the show, lining their pockets is all that is going to happen. They dont care what happens to you. six years from now you will make $2 an hour less than you are now....no thats some union power.

DR.EVIL said:
With the meatball mafia running the show, lining their pockets is all that is going to happen. They dont care what happens to you. six years from now you will make $2 an hour less than you are now....no thats some union power.
[post="240373"][/post]​
better think about that...fuel prices go up guess who'll be knocking at the door later this summer......duh. :shock:

delldude said:
better think about that...fuel prices go up guess who'll be knocking at the door later this summer......duh. :shock:
[post="240378"][/post]​

Think about it... Fuel prices go up, along with union dues!

One we can control, one we can't!

Dues will not be going up unless you get a raise, but I guess you are too busy to look into the facts and just want to spread misinformation and hate.

700UW said:
Dues will not be going up unless you get a raise, but I guess you are too busy to look into the facts and just want to spread misinformation and hate.
[post="240386"][/post]​

What about if you get paycuts or lose your what happens?

Dues are figured out every August, so this coming August the dues rate will be lower for the next year, the locals can lower dues with special dispensation from the International.

If you get laid off you have a choice of withdrawing (paying no dues), paying unemployment dues or paying full dues, that is the member's choice.

Dues won't be going up for one reason, and one reason only... Between the pay cuts, and years of increases for doing nothing, the union is almost topped out!

Oh wait, I'm wrong, they didn't do nothing all those years, there were those high level meetings in Hawaii. Worth every penny!

(Of course I'm sure the union is now looking into ways to increase dues beyond 2 1/2 times our hourly pay, without telling anyone.)

Imamec said:
Dues won't be going up for one reason, and one reason only... Between the pay cuts, and years of increases for doing nothing, the union is almost topped out!

Oh wait, I'm wrong, they didn't do nothing all those years, there were those high level meetings in Hawaii. Worth every penny!

(Of course I'm sure the union is now looking into ways to increase dues beyond 2 1/2 times our hourly pay, without telling anyone.)
[post="240397"][/post]​
here's a common TWU quote Imamech, "just be glad you have a job brother" <_<

local 12 proud said:
[post="240408"][/post]​

Your words of wisdom are wise young man! However, a job pays ME! I pay a union! See the difference grasshopper?

local 12 proud said:
[post="240408"][/post]​

The new saying is "just be glad you have a job brother, we can't help it if dues are higher then your wages you voted yes didn't you?"