How Could The Ramp Be Changed For The Better?

Ramp Rogue

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
My suggestion would be for the ramp to go to HIRE DATE SENIORITY. That way if USAir survives, junior agents would not be working while senior agents are furloughed. The CWA operates under a HIRE DATE SENIORITY system and there is no animosity that stems from it. You are where your seniority falls and that is it. No junior people ahead of senior people. Last hired, first fired. That is of course is if USAir makes it through these turbulent times.

Differant contracts have differant rules. Don't knock one group because they have better negotiators.

Did you know the Mechanics, Stock Clerks and Utlity have been under the IAM represented contract since 1949, the rules have been fought for over the years. It takes time to establish things. And Utility will not be a thing of the past, watch, wait and see. So you gonna book a reservation and clean a plane too? Wireless technology?

How long has Res been union?

Kev3188 said:
What do they use now? Station seniority?
[post="195683"][/post]​
If you were hired before 1980, you go by hire date.
if you were hired between 1980 and approximately 1994, you go by an adjusted classification date. which cuts your time in half.
If you were hired after 1994, you go by hire date. it doesn't matter if you are full time or part time.
Those of us that were hired between 1980 and 1994 are the only ones that had their time cut in half.
This system is very unfair. This system allows senior agents to be furloughed, while junior agents are able to keep their jobs. The bad thing about it is that USAir wants to go to a hire date seniority system, but the GNIKCUF iam doesn't want to. If we had hire date system, ccy wouldn't need as many admin people as they have right now. So you know that USAir wants to change to system, but the iam keeps saying that the company doesn't want to change it. That is why I have no respect for the lying iam.

misren said:
Every department should have been "Date of Hire."
[post="195708"][/post]​

Oh how I long for that to happen. It is just that no one has the balls to to put their foot down and do it. When there is a weak union on the property, these are the lumps we have to take. Thanks for nothing, iam.

If you were hired P/T before May 1, 1979, you didn't get anything for your P/T days. Look at the senority list and see how many 5-1-1979 dates there are. These people lost time and were all given that date for bidding purposes

This "adjusted date" was started with the IBT in 1979, so if you must put blame. you can start there.

The fence agreement was signed in 1998 and in the 1999 IAM contract there is a provision for DOH that applies to all hired after 4-1-1999

From the beginning the IAM told all, the senority system would NOT be changed during negotiations. It is there policy to NOT change senority dates among members who vote them in as a union.

At NO time has USAirways even approached the IAM with DOH ideas, so your information is incorrect about that. No one is lying to you about that fact.

Hard to have a DOH when you have PT and FT hirings, but at UAL they give you 2 dates, one for PT and one for FT. Just as Piedmont /PSA did on the ramp.

So to keep beating this dead horse is of no use, it won't be changed....

Customer Service was changed PRIOR to them becoming Union and that was done with a vote among agents. An amazing 35% returned a survey to determine what the senority would be, was that fair...?

In the 1970's, most people were hired on as Full Time. The P/T Craze came about in the later 70's and on, this is why prior to 1980 they use the DOH. The only way the Classification date can hurt you, is if you were P/T for Many years. If you look at it all based upon the total amount of hours worked, the class date makes sense. I think the reason they did away with it later was due to all the adjustments being made as a result of temporary upgrades.

How about if fleet svc employees were all floating and not tied down to one gate. That way a supervisor could staff the gates in their zone accordingly. No more of this waiting to pull into the gate as an agent sits at the nearby gate reading the paper. I know that this subject was discussed in the past. Don't tell me that it's all due to understaffing Lavman. I constantly see agents kicking up ther feet in the breakroom as their coworkers are working their asses off.

flyin2low said:
How about if fleet svc employees were all floating and not tied down to one gate. That way a supervisor could staff the gates in their zone accordingly.
[post="196339"][/post]​

It's already done this way in PHL, and has been for years. Still doesn't work when you're not given proper manpower or equipment.

Justaramper said:
At NO time has USAirways even approached the IAM with DOH ideas, so your information is incorrect about that. No one is lying to you about that fact.

Customer Service was changed PRIOR to them becoming Union and that was done with a vote among agents. An amazing 35% returned a survey to determine what the senority would be, was that fair...?
[post="196145"][/post]​

USAir was going to change all of us to DOH, the fair way to do seniority, then the IAM was voted in and that put us in status quo, so we kept adjusted seniority. After this the rest of Customer Service went to DOH, and we stayed on Adjusted date! I'm sure Pilots and FO's wouldn't like it if they only got 1/2 seniority when they were on reserve, and we have corrected the seniority error among new part timers...............DOH the only fair way!

flyin2low said:
How about if fleet svc employees were all floating and not tied down to one gate. That way a supervisor could staff the gates in their zone accordingly. No more of this waiting to pull into the gate as an agent sits at the nearby gate reading the paper. I know that this subject was discussed in the past. Don't tell me that it's all due to understaffing Lavman. I constantly see agents kicking up ther feet in the breakroom as their coworkers are working their asses off.
[post="196339"][/post]​

Take the tv.s out of the break rooms at phl...maybe/just maybe we can get planes loaded fairly close to schedule. Last sunday...20 rampers watching the Eagles on TV while the europe flltts all waited to be loaded...

Yeah.......and when the captain on my flight went in to the break room to see if he could get our plane loaded....the supervisor was close to tears and said that he had "no control over this"

And then there was the time a Shift Manager told a ramper in CLT he couldn't listen to NASCAR and work at the same time.

So the ramper went inside and sat down so he could listen to the race in peace.

Just the same as all the pilots that refuse an aircraft when the autopilot is on MEL.

Guess you don't get paid to fly, you get paid to let the computer do it for you?

Latest posts