How do you feel about Republic flying 130 seat airplanes for us?

PullUp

Veteran
May 22, 2010
Embraer 195 e2's dual class seating: 120, single class: 132 seats

Bombardier CS100: 130 seats in dual class; CS300: up to 160 seats

C-series demoed to Republic video: http://cseries.com/?video=4154#/

Question: what is Bedford/Republic going to do with a 130 seat airplane? He's taking 40 of them soon.

Answer: Get ready for massive pressure from mgmt in contract negotiations to push scope to 130 seats.

BOHICA!

cheers.

While union Republic is actually one of the better RJ operators. Much better than Envoy, Air Wisconsin, or Piedmont. SkyWest or GoJet are the best.

Josh

737823 said:
While union Republic is actually one of the better RJ operators. Much better than Envoy, Air Wisconsin, or Piedmont. SkyWest or GoJet are the best.

Josh
What does this have to do with anything?

Reactions: 1 person
Better check with the pilot's scope language I believe the 195 would violate their CBA.

The E195 e2 is simply Embraer's competitor to the A319 or the Boeing 737-700. If new AA were to buy it, the APA would fly that plane, just like the APA flies everything in excess of 76 seats. Anyway, the E195 e2 is irrelevant until an airline orders it (besides the ILFC order for 25 on spec).

So basically, the OP has theorized that since Republic is on the hook (currently) for 40 mainline planes it doesn't need (its C-series order), then that means that Parker, Anderson and Smisek are going to suddenly play hardball for scope exceptions up to 130 seats just so they can hire Republic to fly those 40 planes? Even though the pilots at AA, UA and DL have all held fast to the 76-seat limit and the three majors have hundreds of 76-seaters on order?

Why would the airlines order hundreds of 76-seaters if their plan is to bail out Republic by pushing scope to 130 seats? That thesis has some big logical gaps.

I think it's much more likely that Republic ends up selling those planes (or the delivery positions) to another airline. I also think it's a lot more likely that aliens will take over the earth than the pilots agree to outsourcing 130-seat planes.

What AA needs to do is to get the twu to represent the pilots.

Then AA could get anything they want!   

I wrote this as a joke; unfortunately, it's the truth!

American Airlines pilots pledge not to allow changes to its scope clause
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2014/10/its-labor-day-a-collection-of-labor-news-from-airlines.html/
“This afternoon, the full APA board met with American Airlines CEO Doug Parker. Our conversation with Mr. Parker was frank and cordial and covered a wide range of items. Foremost among them: We informed him that APA will not agree to any Scope concessions. Our actions now concerning Scope will help define the profession for the balance of our careers and for the next generation of aviators, and we are committed to securing industry-leading pay and work rules

Here are the quotes that matter: "Management has indicated a desire to dilute that limitation and obtain a below-industry-standard Scope Clause in the ongoing joint collective bargaining agreement negotiations."

"...the Allied Pilots Association board of directors – including new base officers from the US Airways bases sitting at the table – said it won’t accept any change in the upper ceiling of 76 seats or to its “scope clause,” “scope” referring to the scope of flying that AA pilots do."

The reality is that there are many 90-seat regional aircraft being flown by AA regional partners now. Isn't that above the 76 seat limit?

You can bet that 130 seat scope will be the last issue demanded by management and that it will be a deal-breaker or -maker.

BOHICA!

PullUp said:
Here are the quotes that matter: "Management has indicated a desire to dilute that limitation and obtain a below-industry-standard Scope Clause in the ongoing joint collective bargaining agreement negotiations."

"...the Allied Pilots Association board of directors – including new base officers from the US Airways bases sitting at the table – said it won’t accept any change in the upper ceiling of 76 seats or to its “scope clause,” “scope” referring to the scope of flying that AA pilots do."

The reality is that there are many 90-seat regional aircraft being flown by AA regional partners now. Isn't that above the 76 seat limit?

You can bet that 130 seat scope will be the last issue demanded by management and that it will be a deal-breaker or -maker.

BOHICA!

So what you're trying to say is that the legacy airlines want regional airlines to fly the planes with 130 seats and at the same time lose all that revenue.

That doesn't even make sense.

PullUp said:
I do not believe that is accurate. Which regional partners are flying 90-seaters? Where are they flying them? Are they flying them for their own account or are they flying them on behalf of a mainline partner?

Specifics, please.

Delta has no outsourced planes larger than 76 seats. United has no outsourced planes larger than 76 seats. US and AA have no outsourced planes larger than 76 seats.

So where are these mythical 90-seaters?

FWAAA said:
The E195 e2 is simply Embraer's competitor to the A319 or the Boeing 737-700. If new AA were to buy it, the APA would fly that plane, just like the APA flies everything in excess of 76 seats. Anyway, the E195 e2 is irrelevant until an airline orders it (besides the ILFC order for 25 on spec).

So basically, the OP has theorized that since Republic is on the hook (currently) for 40 mainline planes it doesn't need (its C-series order), then that means that Parker, Anderson and Smisek are going to suddenly play hardball for scope exceptions up to 130 seats just so they can hire Republic to fly those 40 planes? Even though the pilots at AA, UA and DL have all held fast to the 76-seat limit and the three majors have hundreds of 76-seaters on order?

Why would the airlines order hundreds of 76-seaters if their plan is to bail out Republic by pushing scope to 130 seats? That thesis has some big logical gaps.

I think it's much more likely that Republic ends up selling those planes (or the delivery positions) to another airline. I also think it's a lot more likely that aliens will take over the earth than the pilots agree to outsourcing 130-seat planes.
FWIW Delta only has a handful of 76-seats left on order) 

PullUp said:
Embraer 195 e2's dual class seating: 120, single class: 132 seats

Bombardier CS100: 130 seats in dual class; CS300: up to 160 seats

C-series demoed to Republic video: http://cseries.com/?video=4154#/

Question: what is Bedford/Republic going to do with a 130 seat airplane? He's taking 40 of them soon.

Answer: Get ready for massive pressure from mgmt in contract negotiations to push scope to 130 seats.

BOHICA!

cheers.
Wont happen. they may ask for it but you wont see the APA, UALPA, DALPA go for it. 

AdAstraPerAspera said:
My understanding back when Republic first placed the orders for the C-Series was that they were destined for Frontier.
you are correct. I will be willing to bet Republic will never see these planes. 

FWAAA said:
I do not believe that is accurate. Which regional partners are flying 90-seaters? Where are they flying them? Are they flying them for their own account or are they flying them on behalf of a mainline partner?

Specifics, please.

Delta has no outsourced planes larger than 76 seats. United has no outsourced planes larger than 76 seats. US and AA have no outsourced planes larger than 76 seats.

So where are these mythical 90-seaters?
Didn't Mesa have the CR9 in all Y (88-90 seats) 

but I think that was a hangover from the American West contract......