How Long Until All -700 Have Winglets.

Feb 11, 2004
How many -700s are getting winglets a week?
How long will it take to get all -700s the new updated engines?

For the other Airlines that wonder how SWA does IT. This will show You. Winglets and new engines will go a long way to lowering costs and getting trancon range from airports like ISP and PVD.

I believe the winglet mods will be done by the end of the year. 24k thrust engines upgraded from 22K will be completed by July.

The only difference between the 22K and 24K lb. thrust engines is software? Interesting! Why did SWA originally order the 22K engine? Is there a significant difference in fuel economy over the 24K engine? If so, why are they now going with the 24K engine in these days of high fuel prices?

ngneer said:
The only difference between the 22K and 24K lb. thrust engines is software? Interesting! Why did SWA originally order the 22K engine? Is there a significant difference in fuel economy over the 24K engine? If so, why are they now going with the 24K engine in these days of high fuel prices?
Money............. The 22K engines are more than enough for the airframe. The lower thrust rating saves money on maintenance and OH costs. The 24K software will allow the aircraft to show better performance for the transcons, "high and hot" and short fields.

Thanks, Capt! Since WN keeps a very close eye on the bottom line, I'm a little surprised that they would do something to raise costs. But I guess the long-haul market has proven to be lucrative enough to overcome the increased maintenance costs. Also, with the winglet and engine mods, SWA has an aircraft that can go to anywhere, from anywhere in their route system and that's powerful ammunition.