How Many Layoff's if Delta Takesover

Borescope

Veteran
Jan 10, 2003
It's a sure bet if Delta takes over, they are going to need the entire route structure. This could mean lots of furloughs ala American. What's going to go? Heard on CNN this morning that DL wants to have a done deal in 2 weeks with either UA or NW.

It's a sure bet if Delta takes over, they are going to need the entire route structure. This could mean lots of furloughs ala American. What's going to go? Heard on CNN this morning that DL wants to have a done deal in 2 weeks with either UA or NW.

I think you missed a word in your first sentence, ace. Anyway, an analyst's report I read stated they believe a UA/DL deal would mean SLC closing, and a NW/DL deal would mean MEM and CVG closing, due to proximity. Who really knows what the feds will demand.

The question I think really matters is, what will happen to the employees of the airlines not involved in any merger who now have to compete with the new super carriers?

Not any more or less than the upcoming recession will bring. With labor unrest at the ‘Lazy U’ over the shareholder dividend and what UAL had to pay out to make it happen has not made their employees very happy. :eek:

JMHO, the only part that UAL has in this DL/NWA/UAL merger mania is to acquire the CO ‘Golden Share’ to press CO into a deal. Delta and NWA are a better pair up as their pilots are both docile alpo, the NWA AFA’s don’t know which union they want (if any) and the M&R are pretty much non-union scabs. :down:

Good fit for the Delta workforce. :shock:

AT UA, most unionized workgroups have a final say in any merger and/or acquisition agreement and the only way that will happen is if the partner/acquirer is willing to pony up a bump in pay and benefits, good luck on that!!! :p

Possibly after the UA M&R Union gets decertified (AMFA –vs- IBT) then CO would be a good fit for UA.

Then we could all be ‘Continentally United’. :up:

B) UT

Delta may want to own the World in 2 weeks but.... it ain't gonna happen. There may be a Merger proposal presented to the BODs of all participants but..... Let's not forget what any Merger would have to go through. DOJ! They are still working on the Midwest / PBJ-NW Deal in order to get the best Chocolate Chip Cookies available to all parties that fly the Best Care in the Air. Now, take into consideration the Magnitude of two very large carriers, or more, combining in some way, shape or form.... an Election year approaching.... our economy diving faster than a Pearl Hunter and Jet A prices rising faster than a Horny Prom Queens Dress and I'd say you have just approached "Stall"! Now if... all the legacy Carriers were to align themselves in the best possible scenerios, there might be a chance for someone in Washington DC to realize.... this may work..... Don't hold your breath! Of course, this is just my opinion as my Crystal Ball was used as a christmas tree ornament that the cat broke! Flame away... seems to be the MO in here lately!

Paid for by my own internet Billing!

Don't concern yourself with that question. Delta and NW are going to merge. The larger question is what will happen when UA/CO merge?

Delta may want to own the World in 2 weeks but.... it ain't gonna happen. There may be a Merger proposal presented to the BODs of all participants but..... Let's not forget what any Merger would have to go through. DOJ! They are still working on the Midwest / PBJ-NW Deal in order to get the best Chocolate Chip Cookies available to all parties that fly the Best Care in the Air. Now, take into consideration the Magnitude of two very large carriers, or more, combining in some way, shape or form.... an Election year approaching.... our economy diving faster than a Pearl Hunter and Jet A prices rising faster than a Horny Prom Queens Dress and I'd say you have just approached "Stall"! Now if... all the legacy Carriers were to align themselves in the best possible scenerios, there might be a chance for someone in Washington DC to realize.... this may work..... Don't hold your breath! Of course, this is just my opinion as my Crystal Ball was used as a christmas tree ornament that the cat broke! Flame away... seems to be the MO in here lately!

Paid for by my own internet Billing!
I think they are only looking for a final proposal in two weeks for the BOD. They don't want to take months deciding between NW/UA. The deal inself will take months. I think they are in a hurry to get it done before the elections.

I think they are only looking for a final proposal in two weeks for the BOD. They don't want to take months deciding between NW/UA. The deal inself will take months. I think they are in a hurry to get it done before the elections.

Yea, I'm sure there were never discussions before now ... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't bet on a quick trip through the DOJ, certainly not before the election. As the funny QA4JetA said, they are still working on the Midwest / PBJ-NW deal. In addition the XM/Sirius combo has been going on for over a year and those products are looked at as luxury items that only a few pay for, not the National Transportation System. I think these mergers announcements coming within the next few weeks will drag on and on and even then will take years to implement. There is one thing I know well about UA and that is even the best layed plans are always completely screwed-up through poor execution.