How many MILLIONS will this 2 day blizzard set back USAIRWAYS?

delldude

Veteran
Oct 29, 2002
Downrange
www.youtube.com
i dunno...however i can tell you the snowblower is up and on duty here in PIT.
good 6 inches and more coming.

In CLT today i didnt see a single A-6 voucher given out(FYI thats a voucher that pays hotel/food) even for the diabetic in a WCHR who will be here until tuesday!!!

In the old days we handed them out like candy!!!!

According to one pass a flt XLD due to pilot being called up for guard duty. She was the only irate i had all day. I told her to contact Mr. Bush and complain to him!!! We have no control over an act of war.

Everybody was totally understanding of the events of the day. They seemed to take it in stride.

If I recall, the standard answer in the 90's was $30 million. It seemed every storm--be it Hurrican Hugo, or one of the countless "storms of the century" cost USAir around the same. The good news is, revenue is about half of what it was in the 90's, so maybe this storm will only cost $15 million.

US AIRWAYS CANCELS FLIGHTS DUE TO SEVERE WINTER STORM IN THE EAST
ARLINGTON, Va., Feb. 16, 2003 -- US Airways has canceled flights on many of its routes in the East due to a severe winter storm. US Airways is working closely with airports impacted by this weather to get runways and taxiways cleared.

All US Airways service at Washington's Ronald Reagan National and Dulles International airports, as well as Baltimore Washington International (BWI) and Richmond International airports have been canceled for the remainder of the day. Service at Philadelphia International Airport will be suspended today after 3 p.m., Eastern time. Charlotte/Douglas International Airport is temporarily closed due to icy field conditions. US Airways expects to cancel a significant number of flights tomorrow as well. Travelers also could see flights at other airports canceled or delayed due to the impact of this weather on the US Airways route network.

US Airways canceled more than 360 flights today with delays ranging from 15 minutes to two hours.

Customers traveling in areas affected by these winter conditions who cannot get to the airport or whose flights have been canceled or delayed will be permitted to rebook. For more detailed information on US Airways' weather reaccommodation policy, customers should contact US Airways reservations at 1-800-428-4322.

US Airways urges customers to check the status of flights online at usairways.com or by calling the automated customer service line at 1-800-943-5436.

I flew out on the 0610 departure from PIT to CLT this morning.

Weather issues forced an Acft substitution from a B737-400 to an A321.

The EQ. sub had a slight affect on things...but the Airbus developed a mechanical issue prior to push back. This created a 2 hour 55 minute delay...plus a trip to the de-ice pad.

The scheduled flying time of 57 minutes at that early hour was also affected slightly.

All in all good to be home for a day or so...I hope we rebound quickly!! This is but another issue we do not need at present.

My day was cancelled. We just repoed the airplane back to base. Got back to DAY and nearly every flight had been cancelled.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/16/2003 5:31:17 PM Non Rever wrote:

According to one pass a flt XLD due to pilot being called up for guard duty.

----------------
[/blockquote]

This is too funny. Called up for Guard duty??!! So then is U going to be cancelling 3 or 4 flights a day until this one individual is able to return from Guard duty?

Well we can't even make money when we operate, so maybe now with the fuel savings we will lose less than when we do fly..not to mention our lower operating costs. The 30 mil was based on a big airline that flew over 400 a/c. We are only a shell of what we once were.

does pit res still put agents up at the hotel next door?? Was good way to keep agents working longer hours and safer for them too. Good luck res!!!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/16/2003 8:27:48 PM drifterreno wrote:

does pit res still put agents up at the hotel next door?? Was good way to keep agents working longer hours and safer for them too. Good luck res!!!
----------------
[/blockquote]

I think you'd have a better chance of getting MRS FIELDS Peanut Brittle delivered to your door from Austin for Xmas..on 2nd thought make that equal chances...

[blockquote]
----------------

All US Airways service at

National and
Dulles International airports,
Philadelphia International Airport
Charlotte/...

many XNCLS tomorrow as well.
--------[/blockquote]

Gangwal spoke way too soon...today is a conondrum.[font FACE="ARIAL,VERDANA,HELVETICA"][font size="+7"]
!!![/a]

According to the FAA website, DCA and BWI arent set to reopen until 5pm tomorrow and PHL is currently showing 12noon. Flifo has not been updated as of yet, but anyone trying to fly tomorrow better expect lots of delays or canx even if you arent going thru one of the "affected" cities.
The news showed people stranded tonight at the Tampa airport and most seemed in pretty good spirits so far. Lets just hope by day 2 or 3 they feel the same way!

No snow here on the west coast.

Of course we chucked all that in our headlong retreat back to our "core" northeast markets; behind our Maginot Line.

You reap what you sow; so let it snow!

According to crew operational alert , Dca Bwi Lga Bos Phl have all operations suspended till noon today Feb 17 !