How Much Do We Take?

TravelGirl21

Nov 7, 2003
Inthe SOUTH
Visit site
I work on the front lines.. dealing with all issues every day.. yes that is my job,, but there comes a point and time in which I can only eat so much CRAP... when we filed BK the first time ... the comments flew out of the mouths of the passengers when they were pissed off at us..... but now with a second BK... passengers think they can abuse us ... the other day a passenger..got pissed at me because the flight was late and the monitor was not undated.... (my fault because i have control of the monitors and what they say.... not!!!!!!!! as he was walking away.. he made a smart comment /........ do i want fries!!!! Now we all know what that means..... you know I treat all passengers fairly.. and I really wish that they would keep their comments to themselves... I wouldn't speak to their wives or their mothers that way and I don't deserve to be spoken to that way..because I am someones mother...Nor would I speak to any person like that...I deserve that respect too..........................At what point are one of US going to SNAP.....

I would say the answer is totally up to you and you alone.

Like piney is famous for saying whether one considers it harsh or not it's true and that is: Is anyone holding a gun to your head?

Cav,

I dont think Piney would expect a person to walk off the job, and that would be the only alternative when your reserves are zapped.

I totally understand, I had 3 people in F class on the same flt call me the other night from the plane in PHL as they were waiting for a gate and going to misconx to Europe. I did all the nice things, and even though not supposed to call OPs and found out what gate had just been assigned, told px 1 and 2 and that they would be OK. Px 3 a DM2 member came on screaming (all these calls had been escalated to CSD). I understood he was angry, frustrated, but when he told me I would be arranging his hotel accomodation and a free transatlantic upgrade in no uncertain terms and at a loud volume and when I attempted to explain that all compensation had to be done at the airport as he was aware, he then demanded the CSS name and ph nbr as he wasnt standing in any queue for anyone, all the while the other passengers were laughing in the background. Then he proceeded to belittle and ridicule me as I didnt know the CSS name or phone nbr on duty and put down the company, talking over the top of me as I was defending the company.

I totally understand the level of frustration of the passengers, however when it is constantly a belligerent tirade from the mouth of a rude person who wont even listen or process the reality of what you are saying it becomes tedious. You cant just hang up or walk off. Yes, you do have a choice to find another job, but to be in the job market you also have to be assertive, alert and with estress not stress or distress and at the moment for some of us that is not a reality.

Just curious...What would happen to these passengers if they would start a tirade like that with a pilot or flight attendant? Screaming, yelling and calling them every name in the book...would that be tolerated? Again, just curious what the procedure would be in handling this type of "out of control" passenger.

It just shows that ticket agents have one of the hardest jobs in the airline biz. That sort of behavior would never be tolerated on the airplane, bobcat is right. I'm a flight attendant and used to date a ticket agent - her 'horror' stories were always much more interesting than mine. My hat's off to ticket agents for putting up with those select few who really ought to just stay home.

PlanetKyle

I work on the front lines.. he made a smart comment /........ do i want fries!!!! Now we all know what that means..... you know I treat all passengers fairly.. and I really wish that they would keep their comments to themselves... I wouldn't speak to their wives or their mothers that way and I don't deserve to be spoken to that way..because I am someones mother...Nor would I speak to any person like that...I deserve that respect too

Skyhigh states: The behavior of the PUBLIC will never change. We've had generations of children watch their parents at airport counters get verbally abusive. In department stores. At sporting events. Being Rude has become acceptable behavior by some.
Travelgirl, what you need to do is NOT go down to their level. Dont let the outside world affect your INSIDE world. Remain calm. Many want a reaction from you, dont allow them that. It's their anger, dont join them in their emotion!

No, I repeat no, employee at any job should have to listen to or take that kind of abuse. There should be some kind of policy in place on how that type of passenger should be dealt with whether it be on the phone, at the gate or ticket counter or on an aircraft. It shouldn't be, just stand there and take it and then just let that out of control abusive passenger walk away. That seems to be company policy. Again, management has no respect or one bit of compassion for US employees.

In Res, the agents are never to hang up on anyone no matter how abusive a passenger or potential passenger is. As human beings why are they forced to listen to that crap and sit there and take the personal attacks? Just a for instance, and I can't recall the exact wording but, not too long ago, an agent got a call and the first thing out of the guys mouth was screaming at the top of his lungs "Get me a f---ing superviser now!". She was in shock at that point but, as is procedure, she asked politely for his record locator so CSD would have some information when the call was transfered. He proceeded to say "I said get me a f---ing superviser now you f---ing, c--t, whore, you c-m sucking slut!" and then he hung up. Now what kind of person should have to listen to this obscenity? She probably would have hung up on him but she was totally in shock at that point. It's disgusting! This past spring, very few agents brought their kids to work on Bring Your Kids to Work Day because they were afraid to let their kids hear how passengers talk to them on the phone (they listen in on calls). That is pretty sad.

I have never worked for a company where this behavior from customers was tolerated or where the employees had to be subjected to this kind of behavior. Every single company that I have worked for had the policy that the second a customer became abusive, out of control or used profanity, you hang up. If they became that way in person the GM or superviser would come out and ask them to leave and told them that their business was no longer desired or needed. In some cases the police were called and the customer was hauled away. These companies have respect for their employees and back their employees 100%.

US management has no respect for their employees and never will! I think it's getting to the point where most have taken all they are going to take. Some ask why all the employees are not willing to do what it takes to save US. They can take only so much abuse before they see the light and most have finally seen the light after all these years.

I have found that sometimes when you agree with the out of control pax if does work. Had one guy yell at me "I think you are a MF and what do you think of that!!!!!". My reply was "Flattery will get you no where". He growned and hung up the phone. My favorite reply to those how scream on the phone about the change fee when they have booked the reservation on dot.com "If you would of click on to the fare rules you would of been aware of the change fee". It has become painfully pbvious to me that the general passenger wants you to fix the choices that they have made. Guess it is the way our society thinks and still refuses to take responsabilty for their choices and actions.

It gets down to the "ME" factor in this society. Most folks are only after something for themselves. And they rarely want to take responsibility for their own actions. As long as they can find a finger to point at someone else, it's never their own fault. What a shame and what is says for the values and morals of society today. Working the front lines at the airport, I hear all kinds of sad tales and stories and rarely, does anyone ever say, "I screwed up". It's "gimme, gimme, gimme."

I see it everyday in the automotive industry. Everyone wants something for nothing. They go to the Attorney Gerneral if their warranty is expired or does not cover a certain part. Then when the A. G. tells them you are not in violation of the law, they sue you. I hate people, they are evil. It is a hard life out here in the service industry.

I have to add my words of appreciation to those of Piney Bob. There is no excuse for some of the behavior I have seen from some of my fellow travelers..I have seen many examples, and have intervened more than once to get an irate passenger out of an agent's face.

One thing that I have noticed is that while there are poorly behaved frequent fliers, I tend to see that most of the beligerent behavior comes from those once a year fliers...those with little or no understanding of what causes problems and delays, who just choose to take it out on an agent who is the closest employee they can find.

That said, I just finished a two week trip, in which I flew 12 segments in 11 days, and I must say ALL employees I came in contact with were absolutely outstanding. I had a very nice chat with the crew at the Shuttle ticket counter in BOS yesterday morning--they are representative of the great employees who are going above any beyond every day despite all that is happening.

I guess all I want to say to Travel Girl is to hang in there if you can--for every cretin you deal with there are hundreds of us who truly appreciate what you do--so all I can say to you and your colleagues is..

THANK YOU.

My best to you all......

One thing that I have noticed is that while there are poorly behaved frequent fliers, I tend to see that most of the beligerent behavior comes from those once a year fliers..

Sky High states: We are to blame, partly. How many years did we, as airline employees REWARD the complainers? The whiners got the upgrades, the coupons, the additional frequent flyer miles. We went out of our way to appease them. We rewarded the behavior!!

<NEWSFLASH>.............WE SEE RIGHT THROUGH THIS NOW.

thanks art at isp ...
you are right ......many times over ... there are the ones that appreciate all you can do .... and my policy is that the nicer you are the more you'll get from me.. you treat me like crap instant #### is what i become...

again thanks to all the ones that realize our jobs are hard enough without all the crap......

Well, it seems like that show "Airline" on A+E shows the most successful airline right now (SWA) with the same problem.

A mean person is a mean person no matter what, or whom thay happen to fly upon.

Keep your head up and realize that "they" have to live their life "being them", with no hope of escaping themselves. :D

The passengers that thank you, or even moreso the ones that are silently satisfied are the ones that matter most.

There is no reason for bad behavior....alot of times it comes from furstration and having no alternate afffordable solutions, our fare rules and restrictions have become so complex...the general public who travels once a year doesn't understand how it works or why their exception can't be made. Change fees and things can be difficult to hear especially when it's a family of five.