How Song can beat JetBlue at it''s own game!

Jul 13, 2003
Song has the correct idea, except for one small detail. The 757 is not the aircraft that should be used. What''s needed is smaller planes than the A320''s used by JetBlue. Smaller planes will eat away at JetBlue''s market share (albeit with less of an impact than larger planes) and will have higher average fares than larger planes. Smaller planes would allow Song to bypass JFK on some routes and take away connecting passengers from JetBlue. Routes like BUF-FLL, BUF-TPA, BUF-LAX, BUF-SJU, etc.

By using larger aircraft, Song is forced to go head to head with JetBlue strictly on price and volume.

Song should use A319''s or 737-700''s (with blended winglets). Lighter planes also have reduced landing fee costs and faster turnaround times.

Throwing a bone at some wholesalers and travel agencies wouldn''t hurt either. You would be surprised how anti-JetBlue some travel agencies are due to the screw you attitude JetBlue has towards travel agents.

Take your medicine, you're starting to ramble again. BUF-SJU? Take some extra medicine!

"You would be surprised how anti-JetBlue some travel agencies are due to the screw you attitude JetBlue has towards travel agents."

Not a travel agent, but that one is news to me. How do you figure jetBlue has a desire to screw travel agents? What does jetBlue do, that other airlines do not? Not many airlines left that pays commision.
jetBlue get a majority of ticket sales online, it keeps the cost down and passes savings on to the customer. In this day and age, I do not know of very many people who uses travel agents, unless they are going on cruises, have interesting destinations or multicity travel itineraries.

Care to expunge on your claim?

JetBlue knows this. Why do you think they bought the Embraers'? They're all not going to be flying from JFK.

----------------
On 7/28/2003 8:07:12 AM Farley wrote:

Take your medicine, your starting to ramble again. BUF-SJU? Take some extra medicine!

----------------​

Do you think this person might live in BUF?

----------------
On 7/28/2003 8:31:22 AM Diesel8 wrote:

Not a travel agent, but that one is news to me. How do you figure jetBlue has a desire to screw travel agents? What does jetBlue do, that other airlines do not?

----------------​

The major U.S. airlines do not pay commissions to most of the agencies. The large agency chains and the larger, corporate travel agencies do still get commissions and override payments. Also, the major carriers offer bulk/net fares to wholesalers and tour operators. If you do not believe this, pick up any newspaper on Sunday and check out the package deals that include airfare. The only way to offer these deals, is to have prenegotiated rates. How else could you offer a price that includes airfare?

JetBlue's stated goal is to get zero business from travel agents. As per a recent ATW (Air Transport World) article, they are getting 3% of their business from travel agencies.

On 7/28/2003 10:26:52 AM AAplanesareold wrote:

If you could travel nonstop from BUF to Florida nonstop (the Embraer can't reach the West Coast)...

Based upon what? The Embraer 190's range is almost 3000 air miles. Distance from JFK to LAX is 2462 air miles. Maybe too close for comfort, but it can be done.

Now if on top of that, the aircraft is more spacious (unless you believe Neeleman's garbage about the Embraer having more room than an Airbus), which would you choose? An A319 or 737-700, instead of an Embraer 190? Again, let's be real. Neeleman conveniently forgot to mention one very important aspect. The reduced carryon room on the Embraer 190 aircraft.

The Embraer 190 is a new aircraft which is larger than the F100 that AA is still trying to get rid of. How do you know that roll-aboards can't be accommodated? Even on the Fokker we were able to get "most" carry-on bags aboard--with the exception of the body bags some pax insist "fit on their last flight."
9.gif

AND, the Embraer 190 has 2 and 2 seating. No middle seat! To someone who non-revs mostly in the middle seat that is a major plus!!!!

Jim
AA f/a furloughed 01July03

First off, I don't need medication. Second, I don't live in BUF. Third, just use common sense. BUF is the second largest population center in the state of New York. BUF provides the most connecting traffic through JFK for JetBlue. Everyone knows this (including the folks at Song).

If you could travel nonstop from BUF to Florida nonstop (the Embraer can't reach the West Coast), versus connecting at JFK; would you prefer the convenience and time savings? Or would you believe the JetBlue, koolaid induced mantra about passengers going out of their way to fly on JetBlue? Let's be real. If the service is the same and the price is the same, passengers will go for the convenience of nonstop travel. Period. End of story. Now if on top of that, the aircraft is more spacious (unless you believe Neeleman's garbage about the Embraer having more room than an Airbus), which would you choose? An A319 or 737-700, instead of an Embraer 190? Again, let's be real. Neeleman conveniently forgot to mention one very important aspect. The reduced carryon room on the Embraer 190 aircraft. I see pissed off JetBlue passengers in the future, who were used to rolling onboard their carryons, being told that they have to check in their carryons as baggage! Curbside, no less. We all know what happens when you're carryon is checked in curbside, don't we? The bags don't make the flight!

----------------
On 7/28/2003 12:03:46 PM JS wrote:

AAplanesareold:

The reason Song is using 757's is pretty simple. Delta has 757's. They don't have any A319's or 737-700's, with or without blended winglets.

----------------​

I'm aware that Delta (OK, Song), doesn't have A319's or 737-700's. I was just pointing out that the 757 is not IMHO, the best aircraft to take on JetBlue. Again, IMHO.
10.gif

----------------
On 7/28/2003 10:26:52 AM AAplanesareold wrote:

Third, just use common sense. BUF is the second largest population center in the state of New York. BUF provides the most connecting traffic through JFK for JetBlue. Everyone knows this (including the folks at Song).

----------------​
Take a look at their route map. The only possibilities for cnx through JFK are BUF, ROC, SYR, and BTV. Of course BUF will be the largest contributor to cnx traffic for jetblue but that doesn't mean that it's the best choice for competitors to use for local O&D. jetBlue is fairly smart in that they know that BUF must connect b/c they won't fill many flights strictly with BUF-FLA (or SJU) traffic.

AAplanesareold:

The reason Song is using 757's is pretty simple. Delta has 757's. They don't have any A319's or 737-700's, with or without blended winglets.

The range for an Embraer 190 is about 2000 nautical miles (even Neeleman alluded to the 2000 mile range). Rollaboards require deep overhead bins. The kind that can be found on modern, narrow body aircraft, that feature 3 x 3 seating. How can the overhead bins be of the same depth (and interior volume), if the fuselage is much narrower? FYI, the overhead bins on A320 aircraft have more volume than the overhead bins on 737 aircraft due to the fuselage on the A320 being wider. It's not a huge difference, but it's there.

I'm sure Embraer had nonrevs in mind when they designed the 190!
9.gif

----------------
On 7/28/2003 11:55:10 AM Diesel8 wrote:

Although, things could change once the EMB comes online. But BUF-SJU is doubtful I would think!

----------------​

Maybe on the weekends, for the cruise ship passengers.
2.gif

AAsflamesarecold
It's pretty clear that you won't be getting a call to join the planning department of any airline anytime soon. But in the meantime we'd love to hear all of your ideas. (no really)