how the twu will get their due.....

dfw gen

Veteran
Dec 1, 2011
anuary 21, 2014

TO: TWU AA Presidents
RE: Equity Distribution

A number of former TWU represented AA employees have initiated a class action seeking to represent over 2300 persons who accepted early-outs and stand-in-steads and others who left AA. By their rough calculations, plaintiffs claim that they would be entitled to 10% of the shares allocated to TWU. As you know, the Equity Distribution Plan set aside 5% of the shares for appeals, litigation liability and expenses and administration.We believe TWU has a strong case on the merits and will prevail. We believe that the Plan does not breach the duty of fair representation- that the Plan was not arbitrary, discriminatory, unreasonable or in bad faith. TWU will also contest the claims of individual plaintiffs and class members on procedural grounds. We also will oppose certification of the class and have good arguments against certification. However, litigation is unpredictable. The reserve currently is 5% of the TWU equity, which is approximately $18 million; if plaintiffs succeed in the claims they have made, TWUs liability will be roughly $18 million, AFTER the reserves are paid. This money would have to be paid out of TWU assets that have been accumulated over the years from the dues of all TWU members, and that the TWU officers have a fiduciary responsibility to preserve, so that they may be used for the benefit of all membersand not taken in their entirety for a class of people, most of whom are no longer even members.

Faced with these considerations, TWU has decided that it has no alternative other than to increase the reserve out of the day 120 distribution by an amount of shares necessary to constitute about 10% of the total distribution in order to cover any liability that might arise from an adverse decision. So in the unlikely event that plaintiffs are entirely successful in their claims, their shares would come from the equityand not from the TWU Treasury, running the risk that this case will require that TWU deplete its assets in order to pay for liability that could have been paid from the original equity would be irresponsible and indefensible.Assuming TWU wins the case, holding more shares in reserve will merely delay their distribution. We will litigate the case aggressively, and expect to win. When we do, the shares held in reserve to assure against an unlikely and unfair result in the case will be distributed according to the Equity Distribution Plan that we will be defending.

Fraternally,

Garry Drummond
Director Air Transport Division
GD:kla
Opeiu 153
C: IAC
ATD Staff

As you all can see Drummond just like the last Dir. of our Transport Division and his staff care more about protecting themselves rather than US.

Sign an AMFA card and lets remove the TWU before they screw us anymore.

When are we all going to say  " ENOUGH IS ENOUGH "

Reactions: 6 people
This is insane. 
Poof! Did ya hear that? That was another 5% of your money disappearing. Oh, they said they will give it back. Yeah right. Freaking theives.

Reactions: 6 people
pretty soon the sob are going to say we have to give back are shares that we already have. I guess they under est. the shares for this law suit!

And still what about the retire med?

Reactions: 1 person
They are magicians at the international level - at making members money disappear.  This letter from Drummond is a white wash.  I knew the TWU would try to figure out a way to justify keeping that 5% reserve, now it gets even better.  Everything the TWU touches, just turns into shite for the dues payers.  So much for the new regime being better at the international.  I have to admit, as I was reading Drummonds letter - I was fully expecting them to say that they would have to take the entire second half distribution from us due to some unforseen expenses at the TWU.  What is it gonna take for the TWU supporters to wake up, and realize they have been duped?

Reactions: 4 people
paul1 said:
pretty soon the sob are going to say we have to give back are shares that we already have. I guess they under est. the shares for this law suit!

And still what about the retire med?
Since we now have two threads on this mess...here is what I posted in the other one.

"Also, based on NYer's logic, the prefunding match was put on the back burner until the 120 day shares were settled so the retiree's could not claim some of the equity. Well, guess what, that back burner is so far back now with the suit that it could be years, if ever before anything happens with the match..."

I asked the question at the road show.
I can't remember the exact amount but, I think, it was in the 2300 range.

The TWU had this planned all along. Funny how they said distributions will be done over a 120 day period. Why? So they can skim or extort any outstanding equity for themselves. If we got all the shares at once the 5% would have been all we lost. I do say lost because you know we will never see that 5% and now it looks like 10%.

Sign those AMFA cards and lets get rid of this corrupt union before they force the ALLIANCE on us. Time for me to go hand pay.

Reactions: 4 people
I believe you guys (present employees of TWU, not retirees) do have a viable suit against the TWU.  That 5% belongs to the current employees.  No matter if the TWU wins or loses the retirees suit.  If they lose the suit with retirees, then the TWU was wrong and will have to pay up using other TWU funds, NOT what is due to current employees.   If I were you guys I would get in contact with the class action attorneys, then hire another firm to fight for the 5%.  Put your dues money to work for you.  In the mean time FIRE the TWU!!! (all suits will still remain active against TWU)  Let those two class action suits, one from retirees, and one from current employees at that time, drain the TWU's coffers after the new union is on the property.   This is beginning to look just like the Self-implosion of the teamsters here at SWA when we fired them.  Have you guys had enough yet???

Reactions: 3 people
Rumor has it the lawsuit was stated out of SFO. My guess would be it was started by a recently retired union representative amt. Now that's just a guess I wouldn't want to sully anyone's reputation.

The whole thing is ridiculous, but not in the way you claim. A special Committee of Local leaders was formed to determine how the equity was to be distributed. They decided that those taking the early out are not eligible for any of the equity. Almost everyone on this Board, including me, agrees. The International supported that decision. They then get sued by the retirees alleging they are entitled to ten percent of the equity. The only logical thing to do is to hold back the amount the retirees’ claim they are entitled to until the court rules. Hopefully in a timely summary judgment, so as to not delay the final distribution. 

To all,

Like I said before, I was very skeptical of the TWU not wanting to divulge all of the data that was in the distribution formula.  Now we can only imagine all of the possibilities.  Not only will the reserve be raised to 10%, but any additional shares can and possibly will be skimmed.  The all in rates can be altered, if they are increased, any additional distributions will be smaller.  Additionally, LET IT BE KNOWN that the value of our distribution has reached and surpassed 70%.  If you factor that TWU is now taking an additional 5%.  We will only be entitled to about 20% more of the initial distribution value. The original individual distribution amount can be ascertained by dividing your Total  initial gross amount by 52%.  This will be the value of what you were owed. For some of us who thought we would get an additional 10K, as of today, that's now down to about 4K.  Good luck to all of you die hard TWU lovers.  You and all of us will sink to the bottom of the abysmal planes of the oceans with The Worst Union (TWU).

Please for all of our sakes get the AMFA cards going.  You know whats coming next, "TWU DUES INCREASES".

I said it once, I'll say it again.......This why I do not want STOCK as a form of COMPENSATION. Especially when the TWU has their hands all over it!

Reactions: 3 people