How to get a job in aviation ? no experience

Adam_Ibr

May 7, 2010
Sup guys, please listen to this.

In short,
How do I approach a [entry] job into aviation ?

A few months ago, I would walk in to my local FBO asking if any positions were available about once every week. Of course they weren't hiring, but every time I went, I would drop off my resume and remind them of my name. I just wanted to let them know that I'm consistent and very interested.
Anyways, Fast forward to about a week ago or two ago, that very FBO I always went too had two positions available for "line service tech" which were posted on Craig-list. GREAT, I go visit them the very next day and the general manager pretty much gave me an 'on the spot' interview. Asked about my availability, explain in detail what I would be doing, and that there wasn't any experience required. All in all, I thought I was the perfect candidate. Soon after, I followed though with a thank you letter for interview and waited a week. After that, I called just to find out I didn't get the job, . I asked for feedback, but never got a call.

I really want to do SOMETHING in aviation, it my career path, its been my choice since I was sophomore in HS. I'm in college now and pursing an AA degree. After I would like to take flying school or some degree in Avionics.

So yea, That was my first taste of failing at getting a job into aviation.

The only thing my resume could show is my retail and customer service experiences (work in a clothing store). So I'm pretty much in the pits in aviation, I have nothing to show.

How would I go about introducing myself to get my foot in door of an aviation career?

Sup guys, please listen to this.

In short,
How do I approach a [entry] job into aviation ?

A few months ago, I would walk in to my local FBO asking if any positions were available about once every week. Of course they weren't hiring, but every time I went, I would drop off my resume and remind them of my name. I just wanted to let them know that I'm consistent and very interested.
Anyways, Fast forward to about a week ago or two ago, that very FBO I always went too had two positions available for "line service tech" which were posted on Craig-list. GREAT, I go visit them the very next day and the general manager pretty much gave me an 'on the spot' interview. Asked about my availability, explain in detail what I would be doing, and that there wasn't any experience required. All in all, I thought I was the perfect candidate. Soon after, I followed though with a thank you letter for interview and waited a week. After that, I called just to find out I didn't get the job, . I asked for feedback, but never got a call.

I really want to do SOMETHING in aviation, it my career path, its been my choice since I was sophomore in HS. I'm in college now and pursing an AA degree. After I would like to take flying school or some degree in Avionics.

So yea, That was my first taste of failing at getting a job into aviation.

The only thing my resume could show is my retail and customer service experiences (work in a clothing store). So I'm pretty much in the pits in aviation, I have nothing to show.

How would I go about introducing myself to get my foot in door of an aviation career?

Did I read your header right it says "no luggage, cleaning or flight attendant jobs"? Well if you want an entry level job with no experience the only job left if you exclude those would be ticket agent. All the others require a licence i.e mechanics or pilots or experience of some kind. Getting on the ramp as a baggage handler is probably the easiest way to get in and they usually have those jobs available atleast on the commuter or regional airline side. I took a job on the ramp as a part timer and did it for about 8 months to get my foot in the door and took a mechanics job ( GSE ground equip) as I had experience as a diesel mechanic. Then I got my A@P and became an aircraft mechanic. If you want in you need to be willing to do whatever to get it.

Reactions: 2 people
Like LineGuy said, your going to have to want to do it all. I have worked almost every position on the ground you can work from gate, ramp, ops, dispatch, load planning, wx briefer, mgmt and on board the a/c as a flight attendant and I'm trying to get my foot in the door as a pilot.

Depending on who you work for, what kind of ops it is and what size airport, legacy carrier (UA, CO, DL) or Express flights you may be required to work more than what you were originally hired for. As a gate agent working on the express flights we worked on the ramp as well, rampers came and worked on the gates etc. Legacy carriers usually have the staffing to support a person only working in one area.

You can learn more working along side or around mechanics and learn alot of things that you won't learn in a classroom but when you get into the field you will have free instructors for whatever you decide to do. I learned so much while working on the ramp and it was beneficial to others because I was also a pilot. As a flight attendant that was a gate agent I was able to teach customers how to fly, get better seating arrangements and talk to them in terms they could understand from the pilots or from the ground side. It's a win-win situation! Some of the best airline employees are the ones who have worked in other areas before working in their area of expertise.

I learned more about running an airline in 6 years than I learned in school that had a full aviation program and trust me what we were learning in class didn't work too well in the real world! There is classroom and real life and there is a big difference!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Listen to the 2 guys above son...
and be willing to do whatever is available to break in this industry.

Oh, and one other thing...don't expect to be able to put any roots down anywhere.

Reactions: 1 person
New to the boards here, great site.
I am in the same position in a way. I am changing my career from sales to the aviation industry. I am involved with LinkedIn , facebook aviation sites, aviation job agents. I am pretty much open to everything there is, though I would like to keep the ground ops to a minimum if possible. I have been applying for F/T and P/T positions at IAD and DCA. Even had my resume re done by a professional company to focus on what I want to do.
It is just a real tough economy out there and thousands of people are looking for work. I am willing to take a big pay cut and I realize that is how it is going to be but to get my foot in the door I will do it.
good luck to you.

I am in the same position in a way. <snip> I am pretty much open to everything there is, though I would like to keep the ground ops to a minimum if possible.

Keeping the ground ops to a minimum basically means that you're interested in only a pilot or flight attendant job. Pilots necessarily require training and licenses before they can be hired and thus have a significant upfront expenses. Nearly all passenger airlines of any size hire people as flight attendants and train them, so that is the easiest and least expensive route into the flying end of the industry. Keep in mind that a large airline might have 1,000 applications for every opening when times are slow and few carriers are hiring like now, so competition for a job can be intense.

Jim