HR 5882

U

UAL_TECH

Discussion

Excerpt:
Here's another entry in the contest to find out whether many politicians are just stupid or are cynically evil:

THE CRISIS: The feds announced last week that our official unemployment rate has soared to 6.1%, the highest since September 2003.
THE CARING RESPONSE IN WORDS: Anticipating and reacting to the economic uncertainty in so many households, both Presidential Nominating Conventions were full of promises to help the beleaguered American worker.
THE ACTUAL STAB IN THE BACK: But this week, we get to see what ACTIONS the politicians plan for us. First out of the blocks, the Democratic Leadership of the U.S. House of Representatives is responding this week by trying to shove through a bill -- H.R. 5882 -- which would provide about 550,000 permanent green cards to foreign workers next year. And those would be ABOVE the 1 million permanent green cards already planned!
Folks, this is not just rhetoric. This is the House leadership trying to pass this bill to permanently give away hundreds of thousands more American jobs to foreign workers.

Unless you make a phone call before Wednesday, this legislation is almost guaranteed to pass because it is backed by the richest, most powerful corporate lobbying interests in town, by the House Democratic leadership and by a large number of corporate-lobby-inspired Republicans.

AMERICANS NEED JOBS -- NOT FOREIGN WORKERS
Let's take a quick look at the employment statistics that don't seem to matter to Members of Congress who are pushing H.R. 5882:

The official unemployment rate soared 0.4 percentage point to 6.1%, the highest since September 2003. The unemployment rate was under 5% as recently as February. Remember that the unemployment rate only measures those who are looking for work and can't find it. Millions more have just stopped looking.
REP. ZOE LOFGREN IS THE ENEMY OF UNEMPLOYED WORKERS
There are so many Members of Congress who work primarily for the interests of the cheap-labor lobbyists, it is difficult to single out just one to be the face of all that is idiotic, cynical and callous about our immigration policies.

But Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) gets to be that face this week. She is chair of the House immigration subcommittee. She long has served on that committee, doing the bidding of the corporations in her Silicon Valley District.

But her decision to move H.R. 5882 through the Judiciary Committee is not just about getting more higher skilled foreign workers instead of hiring American tech workers.

No, this time she's bringing in foreign workers to take nearly every kind of job in America. The only criteria really is that you have a couple of years experience in the type of job you would be taking from an American worker. These 550,000 extra greencards would be for engineers, health workers, construction workers, service workers, manufacturing workers -- well, they would go to foreign workers who do all the kinds of jobs that have been disappearing!

If you -- or anybody you know -- works in any of these sectors, you had better act fast because Rep. Lofgren and her followers have every intention of giving away more of the declining number of jobs in your occupations.

If there were any sanity or compassion for struggling American workers, Congress would not be considering increasing greencards but instead would be considering reducing the already high 1 million greencards a year to something more like the traditional average of just a quarter-million.

Feel free to call Rep. Lofgren and express your opinion through the congressional switchboard at:
202-224-3121

You can also use that number to reach your own Representative and ask if he/she is aware of the insanity planned for the House Judiciary Committee this week.

FALSE PRETENSES FOR PUSHING H.R. 5882
Rep. Lofgren and other pushers of H.R. 5882 think they have come up with a really clever way to get around the general public opposition to immigration increases.

Their gimmick is "Recapturing Unused Employer-Sponsored Visas."

You see, the law was changed in 1990 to triple the number of employer-sponsored permanent immigrants each year. The upper limit was set at 140,000. In fact, the feds have violated that limit several times since 1990 and given away more than 140,000 of these greencards. But in some years, they also have issued fewer than 140,000.

The cheap-labor lobbyists came up with the idea to "recapture" the greencards that weren't issued just in the years when the numbers fell below 140,000. First of all, the law is written so that "unused" visas in one category are figured into how greencards are given in another category the following year. By current law, there are NO "unused visas."

But there is an even more important matter here. The cap was set at the extremely high level of 140,000. But, still, there is a cap. There is not a floor. That is, the feds can decide in any given year that it would not be good for American workers to give out all 140,000 permanent work visas. And the cap is there to keep businesses from getting so many foreign workers in a single year that they traumatize a whole section of American workers. The cheap-labor lobbyists claim there are 550,000 greencards that weren't given out during certain of the last 18 years and that they should be given that many extra foreign workers next year.

Every Member of the House Judiciary Committee should be phoned and told that 592,000 additional Americans were thrown onto the official unemployment rolls last month (and that doesn't count the millions already unemployed), and that the 550,000 jobs that H.R. 5882 would give to foreign workers ought to go to the unemployed Americans.

And please don't let the congressional staff tell you that these foreign workers are needed because unemployed Americans are looking for different kinds of jobs.

These 550,000 greencards would go to virtually every kind of foreign worker. And virtually every kind American worker is losing jobs right now.

B) xUT

Discussion

Excerpt:

B) xUT
Wow...who would have thought that the democrats would be so quick to pick up on a republican stratgey? I guess when a democrat does it, it's evil, but when a republican does it, it is considered "business friendly".

FWIW - I disagree with H1B's and offshoring, but what I'll never understand is why people who are union are VOTING FOR THE REPUBLICANS???? The policies of republicans have made it attractive to companies to offshore jobs and import workers to work for a fraction of what Americans are being paid. I've seen it in the WHITE COLLAR world of IT...lay off American programmers and bring in a bunch of H1B workers. And all this time, the republican lawmakers who passed the laws making it attractive to businesses are re-elected...in many cases by the SAME PEOPLE LOSING THEIR JOBS.

All because they make the grand old "I'm cutting taxes on the middle class" promise. And I guess that's not a lie, since they are cutting the JOBS of the middle class, who are watching their income drop, and as a result, paying less in taxes. Helluva program.

Or maybe they keep getting votes because you all feel that the "republicans will do a better job of protecting America against terrorists"...as they make a contract with a FRENCH company for Air Force tankers...putting YOU out of a job. I dunno. I kind of thought a prosperous middle class would make for a stronger country. I guess not.

Wow...who would have thought that the democrats would be so quick to pick up on a republican stratgey? I guess when a democrat does it, it's evil, but when a republican does it, it is considered "business friendly".

FWIW - I disagree with H1B's and offshoring, but what I'll never understand is why people who are union are VOTING FOR THE REPUBLICANS???? The policies of republicans have made it attractive to companies to offshore jobs and import workers to work for a fraction of what Americans are being paid. I've seen it in the WHITE COLLAR world of IT...lay off American programmers and bring in a bunch of H1B workers. And all this time, the republican lawmakers who passed the laws making it attractive to businesses are re-elected...in many cases by the SAME PEOPLE LOSING THEIR JOBS.

All because they make the grand old "I'm cutting taxes on the middle class" promise. And I guess that's not a lie, since they are cutting the JOBS of the middle class, who are watching their income drop, and as a result, paying less in taxes. Helluva program.

Or maybe they keep getting votes because you all feel that the "republicans will do a better job of protecting America against terrorists"...as they make a contract with a FRENCH company for Air Force tankers...putting YOU out of a job. I dunno. I kind of thought a prosperous middle class would make for a stronger country. I guess not.

The bill, HR 5882, which passed through the House Subcommittee on Immigration last Friday, was authored by Reps. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) and James Sensenbrenner (R-WI),

Ms. ZOE LOFGREN of California (for herself and Mr. SENSENBRENNER) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

H.R.5882
Title: To recapture employment-based immigrant visas lost to bureaucratic delays and to prevent losses of family- and employment-based immigrant visas in the future.
Sponsor: Rep Lofgren, Zoe [CA-16] (introduced 4/23/2008) Cosponsors (28)
Related Bills: H.R.5921
Latest Major Action: 4/28/2008 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security, and International Law.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

COSPONSORS(28),
Rep Abercrombie, Neil Democrat [HI-1] - 5/13/2008
Rep Capuano, Michael E. Democrat [MA-8] - 5/13/2008
Rep Cuellar, Henry Democrat [TX-28] - 5/15/2008
Rep Davis, Artur Democrat [AL-7] - 7/23/2008
Rep Doggett, Lloyd Democrat [TX-25] - 8/1/2008
Rep Eshoo, Anna G. Democrat [CA-14] - 6/5/2008
Rep Giffords, Gabrielle Democrat [AZ-8] - 7/8/2008
Rep Grijalva, Raul M. Democrat [AZ-7] - 6/3/2008
Rep Honda, Michael M. Democrat [CA-15] - 5/13/2008
Rep Jackson-Lee, Sheila Democrat [TX-18] - 5/13/2008
Rep Matsui, Doris O. Democrat [CA-5] - 6/23/2008
Rep Moran, James P. Democrat [VA-8] - 6/10/2008
Rep Nadler, Jerrold Democrat [NY-8] - 5/22/2008
Rep Napolitano, Grace F. Democrat [CA-38] - 6/10/2008
Rep Pastor, Ed Democrat [AZ-4] - 6/10/2008
Rep Roybal-Allard, Lucille Democrat [CA-34] - 5/22/2008
Rep Sanchez, Linda T. Democrat [CA-39] - 6/10/2008
Rep Sanchez, Loretta Democrat [CA-47] - 7/23/2008
Rep Speier, Jackie Democrat [CA-12] - 5/22/2008
Rep Watt, Melvin L. Democrat [NC-12] - 7/10/2008

Rep Carter, John R. Republican [TX-31] - 5/13/2008
Rep Davis, Tom Republican [VA-11] - 4/24/2008
Rep Gilchrest, Wayne T. Republican [MD-1] - 5/13/20
Rep McCaul, Michael T. Republican [TX-10] - 7/10/2008
Rep Myrick, Sue Wilkins Republican [NC-9] - 7/16/2008
Rep Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. Republican [WI-5] - 4/23/2008
Rep Sessions, Pete Republican [TX-32] - 7/16/2008
Rep Shadegg, John B. Republican [AZ-3] - 5/13/2008

20 Democrats and 8 Republicans co-sponsor this bill.

So who do we vote for ?

B) xUT

Hmm.............Raising minimum wage, I'm sure, had nothing to do with unemployment ! :shock:

A lower paying job is better than no job at all !

Thanks Demorats ! :down:

Hmm.............Raising minimum wage, I'm sure, had nothing to do with unemployment ! :shock:

Thanks Demorats ! :down:
Yes..I knew somehow that it would be the democrats fault. Let me ask you...Bush's tax cuts from 7 years ago were supposed to "create jobs"....where are they? Republican's were the majority in Congress for 10 years...where are the results of all their "labor friendly, job friendly" efforts? It's amazing...y'all overlook 10 years of a Republican majority and somehow feel that in two short years, the democrats can undo everything. BTW...when the H1B's first started impacting the IT area where I worked, it was smack dab in the middle of the rebublican majority...although I'm sure you'll say that it was Clinton's fault.

A lower paying job is better than no job at all !
Can the GOP use that for a campaign slogan this year??

I beleive the issue is we are insourcing from other countries while our unemployment is the highest it has been in quite awhile.

Dems or Pubs do not GAS about any of us. :down:

JMHO,

B) xUT

So we should all be happy to make minimum wage, then?

This is a joke, right?

Raising the minimum wage creates unemployment because some jobs are not worth $6.55 an hour.

If you made less than that, you should be happy to make minimum wage because it means you still have a job.

If you make more than that, then you have nothing to worry about.

Raising the minimum wage creates unemployment because some jobs are not worth $6.55 an hour.

If you made less than that, you should be happy to make minimum wage because it means you still have a job.

If you make more than that, then you have nothing to worry about.
You have nothing but H1B's to worry about.

You have nothing but H1B's to worry about.

Regardless.........Dem's raised the minimun wage and the result was many small employers...you know...the ones that make over $250,000 that Big 'O' wants to tax out the ass.....had to layoff and go to minimum staffing levels.

Obama for change you can believe in..... :lol:

Regardless.........Dem's raised the minimun wage and the result was many small employers...you know...the ones that make over $250,000 that Big 'O' wants to tax out the ass.....had to layoff and go to minimum staffing levels.

Obama for change you can believe in..... :lol:
OHMYGOSH....I am SHOCKED...truly SHOCKED at the number of small businesses forced to close their doors because they weren't paying $5 an hour to their employees. Odds are, those layoffs won't put much of an increase in the national debt, since most folks making less than the minimum wage were already on welfare programs.

Prior to this rise in the minimum wage...where were all the jobs created by Bush's tax cuts of 2000? I thought that was supposed to stimulate the hell out of the economy. And it's odd that the employers that are impacted by the H1B plans, sponsored by those good republicans who want to cut corporate tax rates, are huge corporations that are laying off 50 employees for every one a small business lays off. So for all those small business layoffs of folks who suddenly got a government orderded raise to just a little over $5 an hour...I wonder how that compares to the big corporation laying off folks making $50k or more per year in order to hire an H1B worker?

So...cut taxes on corporations AND make it attractive for them to "create" new jobs for H1B's (while eliminating jobs for Americans). You just gotta love how well the plan is working out.

Outsourcing, In-sourcing, and illegal immigration.

All factors eroding our US worker base and what politician will address these issues other than providing more pain?

Errrrrrrrrrrr………. That be none! :down:

Pubs and Dems (politic rats) continue screw ‘US’ over at every turn. :shock:

It would be ‘easy’ if one side or the other actually gave a crap, but in recent history, I do not see it.

Historically (pre Reagan) the dems fought to take care of the working man, now it is all lip service as they are all bought and paid for by the lobbyists, along with the pubs.

So, here we are trying to pick the best candidate of the two (or four) losers that I would not even have look at my taxes for advice.

JMHO, raising the minimum wage did little if any damage to the small business owner as they are hiring illegal immigrants and paying them under the table anyway.

B) xUT