Hundreds Of Flight Attendants Stage Protest!

Aug 23, 2002
The AFA, the flight Attendants represented by USAIRWAYS & United Airlines staged a loud and effective protest in Downtown Pittsburgh, on Wedneday Nov 17th...

A spokesperson for the AFA stated that if the petition to abbrogate the contracts of the AFA, CWA & IAM are not withdrawn from Judge Stephen Mitchell's court, a reign of CHOAS will follow.....The strikes could be random a few here and there...mabey a whole airline...mabey all West Coast flights...mabey all East Coast flights....can include one airline ..or could include all airlines represented by the AFA...

Here is a report from the AFA web site...

Hundreds Rally for AFA Strike Threat

Union Promises CHAOSâ„¢ if Contracts are Abrogated

PITTSBURGH - Hundreds of flight attendants and their supporters today rallied in Pittsburgh to show support for a decision by their union to call for a nationwide strike in the event that one or more of its contracted carriers abrogates its collective bargaining agreements.

"Flight attendants have been victimized for far too long by the avarice of airline executives, whose first and last instinct when times are tough is to squeeze employees to the breaking point," said Pat Friend, international president of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA. "We will not let them break us."

When a job action is implemented, it will take on the form of CHAOS (Create Havoc Around Our System)TM, AFA’s trademarked strike action that allows flight attendants to control airline schedules and operations with intermittent tactics. Flight attendants may stage a mass walkout, as in a traditional strike, for a day or a week, or strike individual flights—with no warning to management or passengers as to time or location.

Yesterday during its annual meeting, the AFA Board of Directors unanimously approved a resolution warning that union self-help is possible once any contract is abrogated. The union has begun the process of polling members at the seven carriers currently in bankruptcy to obtain their authorization for a strike.

"We are calling for a union-wide, nationwide strike, because these attacks on our craft and our contracts are an industry-wide problem," said Friend. "If even one carrier tears up its contract, it gives a green light to its competitors."

More than 46,000 flight attendants join together to form AFA, the world's largest flight attendant union. AFA is part of the 700,000 member strong Communications Workers of America, AFL-CIO. Visit us at www.afanet.org.

Flight attendants may stage a mass walkout, as in a traditional strike, for a day or a week, or strike individual flights—with no warning to management or passengers as to time or location.

Ask the AA pilots how that can be used against you in court to the tune of millions of $$ in damages. The AFA is testing uncharted waters and this may not be a wise decision at this time.

I realize the emotional situation we are all going through, but cooler heads must prevail on this one. I'd think the Railway Labor Act would apply and may prevent such action from taking place. It would destroy U & UAL , so is this the way we want them to end...?

Or would GWB let it happen to the interstate commerce..?

Flight Attendant...definition: Me. content, happy. 15 years on the job. Reading the papers, serving the cokes. 9/11. Stranded on my commute home from PHL in IND. Pilot, non-reving to see his son in CA says to me as the second tower is falling...."I'm worried what this will do to the airline industry".....Prescient wouldnt you say. Me: 2004. not content. not happy. what do I do? I retrain myself. Find other work. A sustainable income for the future.
Strike if you must....but a more definitive message to the f-wad in ala-freaking-where do you live...would be to just walk away....dont show up....call in sick...use the days before they're wiped out....Barcelona and Venice....you have the upper hand....collectively. Dont get me wrong, If you guys are willing to work for this #### go ahead, but the real beauty will be in getting a job where you can say, "yeah, I'm going to Barcelona. And I would never fly USAirways". They outsource, they treat their employees like hell and they cant make one dime for their shareholders. Oil, greed, non-sustainable #### that will kill your childrens children....Cheaper,better, faster. The human equation has been locked out. And the Bushies are at fault....It will always come back to oil, fuel, energy....we are dependent....we are at fault...and we will kill to sustain. Go to work children. Pay the bills while you can...We will never not be at war from this point on. We will kill to keep our lives SAFE. The middle east is slowly bankrupting this country...but of course our personal BK are much more important. OIL IS GOD>>>>the real god is pissed. Cheers brothers and sisters.....A happy lad in California....forgotten long ago by the ever changing GODS in CCY. Time to move on folks. Have you ever heard someone say, "Golly, I sure miss working for USAir"? I bet not once. They think this is the answer....getting rid of the workforce....but it is not....This company is doomed I say....DOOMED...Get out while you can....then take those sick days and drive to ala-fricking-wherever and park on his front porch....."Daddy?" "Who are those people sleeping in our front yard?" "Nobody sweetie, Nobody."

I see some of you out there still think its ok for companys to screw empolyees and lets see if the courts see if they are doing it right. I for one am glad that the AFA is willing to stand up, as a mech I can not believe how this is going down. There will be does that say others airline were brought down by there people standing and fighting with management. If you have a CEO who will not take a pay cut and tells others he cant because it would be hard for him then what the hell, I should not take one either.
Now that U is a leading airline we should take every pay cut and anything that U wants to do and say "Sir, can I have a nother one please, Sir ".
The way things are going we all will be beat down, kicked, jump on, piss on and then have it start over again just like a old toy at the play ground.

Lets see what happens next :shock:

The company can play fair if they want to....not be so greedy...share some of the burden of cuts...If we are all in this together as a team to save the airline, it has to include sacrafices by management...

Why do we need 45 vice-presidents to run this airline, if the idea is to be a low cost carrier that is lean and mean to compete these days...

You can't expect only someone in a union who has a family to support to take all paycuts, vacation cuts, holiday cuts, overtime cuts, 401k or pension cuts, etc....concessions..concessions..concessions,,,,and mgt sitting around FAT AND HAPPY !

I believe if there is not fair play here...there WILL BE a liquidation...around the corner....

Nobody would have thought Eastern Airlines would have exited, either...

SOME SLOGANS....

"The Wings Of Man"..."We Have To Earn Our Wings Everyday", "Fly now, Shovel Later"....

What airline used these slogans?

daybeforecommuter said:
Flight Attendant...definition: Me. content, happy. 15 years on the job. Reading the papers, serving the cokes. 9/11. Stranded on my commute home from PHL in IND. Pilot, non-reving to see his son in CA says to me as the second tower is falling...."I'm worried what this will do to the airline industry".....Prescient wouldnt you say. Me: 2004. not content. not happy. what do I do? I retrain myself. Find other work. A sustainable income for the future.
Strike if you must....but a more definitive message to the f-wad in ala-freaking-where do you live...would be to just walk away....dont show up....call in sick...use the days before they're wiped out....Barcelona and Venice....you have the upper hand....collectively. Dont get me wrong, If you guys are willing to work for this #### go ahead, but the real beauty will be in getting a job where you can say, "yeah, I'm going to Barcelona. And I would never fly USAirways". They outsource, they treat their employees like hell and they cant make one dime for their shareholders. Oil, greed, non-sustainable #### that will kill your childrens children....Cheaper,better, faster. The human equation has been locked out. And the Bushies are at fault....It will always come back to oil, fuel, energy....we are dependent....we are at fault...and we will kill to sustain. Go to work children. Pay the bills while you can...We will never not be at war from this point on. We will kill to keep our lives SAFE. The middle east is slowly bankrupting this country...but of course our personal BK are much more important. OIL IS GOD>>>>the real god is pissed. Cheers brothers and sisters.....A happy lad in California....forgotten long ago by the ever changing GODS in CCY. Time to move on folks. Have you ever heard someone say, "Golly, I sure miss working for USAir"? I bet not once. They think this is the answer....getting rid of the workforce....but it is not....This company is doomed I say....DOOMED...Get out while you can....then take those sick days and drive to ala-fricking-wherever and park on his front porch....."Daddy?" "Who are those people sleeping in our front yard?" "Nobody sweetie, Nobody."
[post="201907"][/post]​
What the?????????? :blink:

As I read this, I can't help but wonder - from a legal perspective, is it a good idea to have a trademarked name for an illegal job action?

Reservation Agent said:
The company can play fair if they want to....not be so greedy...share some of the burden of cuts...If we are all in this together as a team to save the airline, it has to include sacrafices by management...

[post="201983"][/post]​

The company has no interest in playing fair. It is a free for all, grab all, under the direction of Jerry Glass et. al. Lakefield doesnt have a clue about the business and probably doesnt know a beltloader from an engine cowling. He is just a mouth piece. CCY has it's own adjenda, make no mistake. Their forward vision only see's the golden parachutes and current salaries becoming even bigger. It has turned into pure corporate greed at it's worse, at the expense of labor. If their business plan, IMO, based on the backs of labor, is successful, they will all walk away with millions. If labor takes a stand and says we've given our all, NO MORE, they will still walk, but not with the millions they so feverishly seek.

A strike is not illegal for US Airways AFA to seek self-help after a contract abrogation.

That only applies in Section 6 negotiations, neither the union or the company are in Section 6 negotiations.

Judge Mitchell has no jurisdiction in preventing a strike, he is a bankruptcy judge, not a regular Federal District Judge.

rally3_small.jpg

Chaos is not illegal! The reason Chaos was formed was because they don't let the company know exactly what flights will be the ones targeted. Impossible to plan for. When a union goes on a normal strike, the company seems to hire replacements.....this makes that pretty difficult to do.