I LUV NY

Barfbag

Veteran
Oct 30, 2006
- New Yorkers who make frequent flights to Chicago and Washington, D.C., are about to find themselves paying less for airfare.

On Tuesday, Dallas-based Southwest Airlines (LUV) said it would begin eight daily flights from New York City's LaGuardia Airport to Chicago Midway and Baltimore-Washington airports, beginning June 28.

The low-cost carrier also offered historically low ticket prices on its LaGuardia routes, with one-way flights to Chicago for $89 and to Baltimore-Washington for $49. That's bound to put pricing pressure on rivals like AMR Corp.'s (AMR) American Airlines and UAL Corp.'s United and JetBlue Airways (JBLU) .

Many carriers out of New York City have offered similar fares during sales over the past three months to increase demand in a recessionary economy,

I never thought that beast would fly anywhere other then ISP, and here it is, and here it begins, the hardest airline to fight a fare war with. All the major's in NYC will suffer as the men and women in booty short's, smile allllllll the way to the bank....... <_<

Could the SW presence at LGA be a blessing? Doesn't the SW effect stimulating traffic? There may be more than enough customers for SW and the others. All AA has to do is offer/match some SW fares on 5 out of the 16 daily LGA-ORD flights departing close to SW departure times.

AA/AE no longer fly DCA-LGA so no big worries on the $49 LGA-BWI route. And as far as Washington is concerned BWI is convenient for only some parts of the District, PG and Montgomery counties. I doubt those needing to be in DC (inside the Beltway) would fly to BWI then continue the commute to DC. Although only ~30 miles it isn't as close as it sounds.

There is 1 token AE flight BWI-JFK, and 4-6 JFK-DCA flights - but aren't those AE flights more for connecting to AA international flights out of JFK?

It may be that other carriers, like US which suffer (i.e. US flies Dash 8's & RJs on the BWI-LGA routes). And at least judging from these forums US customers are pretty peeved of at US and willing to jump ship compared to CO, AA, DL frequent flyers.

I never thought that beast would fly anywhere other then ISP, and here it is, and here it begins, the hardest airline to fight a fare war with. All the major's in NYC will suffer as the men and women in booty short's, smile allllllll the way to the bank....... <_<

The beast in this story is NOT Southwest, it's LGA. LGA just may be what topples southwest. Two things you can be sure of in NY: 1. you can't beat the Van Wyck 2. If you're leaving out of or flying into LGA it's NOT going to be on time.

No need to worrry, we will just have to take more concessions do undercut SWA fares. And once again, AA management will tell us it's more shared sacrifice while they sign another multiyear PUP deal with the irreplaceable executives.

WN didn't exactly kill off US when they entered PHL, and they haven't killed off UA or AA at ORD by being at MDW. We don't need to mention STL. They didn't kill TW (they did that all by themselves), they didn't really do a lot of damage to AA while it was still hubbed, and they still haven't done a lot since AA pulled back.

And the little myth about WN always having the lowest price? Not true. In a lot of cases, you can find lower fares on the network carriers, but they'll have restrictions. Where WN are truly different is that they don't put as high a markup on the last minute fares. That's not such a big deal in the NYC-ORD market, where even today you can get a walkup fare for about $300, which is entirely reasonable at 50c per mile.

nooobody mentioned schedule. Business travelers love frequent flights. SW's 5 flights a day ain't cut'in with the biz travelers. If such and such is done with a bidness meet'in early, he can show up early and fly stand by to get home to Chi-town. Thats hard to do if said airline only has 5 flights a day.

nooobody mentioned schedule. Business travelers love frequent flights. SW's 5 flights a day ain't cut'in with the biz travelers. If such and such is done with a bidness meet'in early, he can show up early and fly stand by to get home to Chi-town. Thats hard to do if said airline only has 5 flights a day.

This is just to get their foot in the door. WN is known to attract business travelers due to their high frequency. One reason why their Load Factors are lower than networks. When load factors get high they add another flight. Look at DAL-HOU for example. Flights on the hour and half hour at times. See intra FLA and Calf. This is their bread and butter, high frequency in the Southwest. Midwest and West between business destinations.

Once they get established and foot in the door they will do what they can for more gates. Don't forget BWI, PHL Midway, LAS PHX all started with just a few gates.

There's already some speculation on who will be the first to blink and sell slots to WN. US and DL both have huge slot holdings, and with the shuttles becoming more and more outdated (thanks, Acela), either one of them could sell off a couple pair without really hurting their overall presence at LGA.

There's already some speculation on who will be the first to blink and sell slots to WN. US and DL both have huge slot holdings, and with the shuttles becoming more and more outdated (thanks, Acela), either one of them could sell off a couple pair without really hurting their overall presence at LGA.

Maybe the unions can give the company more concessions so AA could outbid WN and buy up every slot allowed by law..

What do you think, Eric?

Then the executives can give themselves more bonus $$$$$ for making that masterful decision to screw the workers even more.

Translated: Nothing worthwhile to contribute, still bitter, so must grind axe.......

Translated: Nothing worthwhile to contribute, still bitter, so must grind axe.......

You just don't get it do you....WE WERE SCREWED ROYALLY WHILE THE GREEDY FATCATS WHO YOU ADMIRE ARE STILL GETTING THEIRS. I'm at the point where I could care less.
You are a real hypocrite, Eric.. You blame union leadership for not winning a better contract, and when we demand it here and now, you call us unrealistic AND GREEDY. I'm GONNA keep grinding the axe till this company is dead and you lose your frequent flyer miles.

Planes fly when they're airworthy NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES.

By the way, Eric...I'm at work right now on this website answering your posts on company time........hehehehehehheheheheheheheheh