I worry about this new business plan!

ISN

Jan 11, 2003
Can someone explain why we are pulling seats out of key markets. Cities like RIC, ORF, GSO, CHS, ROA, CRW and so on. U has always been able to compete in these core markets, but now they belong to Delta. Northwest (DELTA''S SOON TO BE PARTNER) is adding seats from many of these markets to DTW since we started using mostly RJ’s to PIT. I’m sorry, I don’t think RJ’s are the answer, when I see Delta adding seats using MD80’s and 737’s to ATL every time we replace a big jet with a Messa plane. Will running three RJ''s to CLT to match Delta''s 737 to ATL really cut cost. Do they figuring that one 737 crew cost more than three RJ crews. I don''t think so. Not in the long run.
Another concern I have is the wage cuts have been to excessive, the employees I have spoken to are no longer onboard. They will continue to show up for work in body but not in spirit. This is a customer service business. How long can a company compete with that attitude?

It is not how big you are but if you can pay your bill that matters. If all airlines try to maximize market share they will all lose money. Given how much money Delta loses each year it is only a matter of time - - reality will set in and they will change their ways.

Another concern I have is the wage cuts have been to excessive, the employees I have spoken to are no longer onboard. They will continue to show up for work in body but not in spirit. This is a customer service business. How long can a company compete with that attitude?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Well the company being in charge will simply fire the people that are not performing their duties with a smile. I think you will see a little change in attitudes with the remaining employees.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/18/2003 8:53:57 AM REACC1 wrote:

I see...'SMILE, or we'll blow your head off'.
----------------
[/blockquote]

That's about right!!, and only the sheep with no internal guidance or no plan B's are still doing the smiling. Not a formula for success.
I'll bet my last severance check that 3/31 will not be "the magic day".

The question is the market share in those cities you listed able to sustain U cost for running 737 or bigger jets if they go out not filled.

Maybe its better to have 8 RJ flight to the hubs

Delta keeps jet where U has pulled out and still have turbo props planes because they know people prefer jets..once the jets come the passengers will come back

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]Or as they used to tell me in the Air Force, "the beatings will continue until moral improves!"[BR][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Ooops...I thought my beloved Marine Corps had the corner on that saying. And others like, "Mail call, pay and time off will cease until the morale improves".[/P]

[blockquote]
----------------

I see...'SMILE, or we'll blow your head off'. Threats and intimidation. How does one "smile" thru that?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Or as they used to tell me in the Air Force, "the beatings will continue until moral improves!"

I see...'SMILE, or we'll blow your head off'. Threats and intimidation. How does one "smile" thru that?

If you can't it's a big world out there with other places of employment.

Welcome to reality... do it or move on, there is someone else waiting for your job minus the attitude.

Cav said-"Well the company being in charge will simply fire the people that are not performing their duties with a smile. I think you will see a little change in attitudes with the remaining employees."

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/18/2003 9:18:36 AM cavalier wrote:
[P]I see...'SMILE, or we'll blow your head off'. Threats and intimidation. How does one "smile" thru that?[BR]--------------------------------------------------------------------[BR][BR] If you can't it's a big world out there with other places of employment.[BR][BR] Welcome to reality... do it or move on, there is someone else waiting for your job minus the attitude. [BR][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]
/idealbb/files/grad23.jpg

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/18/2003 9:18:36 AM cavalier wrote:

If you can't it's a big world out there with other places of employment.

Welcome to reality... do it or move on, there is someone else waiting for your job minus the attitude.

----------------
[/blockquote]

And following that logic and viewing history,another corporation can go belly up. Another dose of reality.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/18/2003 9:24:29 AM michael707767 wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------

----------------
[/blockquote]

Or as they used to tell me in the Air Force, "the beatings will continue until moral improves!"

----------------
[/blockquote]

Hey, we have that sign.
Cav-
Ive been living the "real world" since I was 'displaced' to doing CS work for a living. I will continue to be dispassionate for my employment situation as I have for the last 5 years. The pay check is all I am after at this point. It would be nice to have a spring in my step as I come to work, but I prefer to use it as a vehicle to retain my standard of living. When either it ceases to provide that, or I hear the 'click' of the hammer, I will leave.
I will continue to go thru the motions and do my job everyday, and live the lie. If you think Im enjoying this situation, I am not.......IM FAKING IT. (never thought I would ever say that....but then, I never thought that I would wake up to the nightmare that is my job)...Oh and by the way, the "you can just quit" argument is rather tiresome. I would rather hang around and let the company reap what they sow. They will never get my soul back unless the doubtful happens.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/18/2003 10:16:12 AM DELLDUDE wrote:

[dude,if U was to run an add in,say NYT tomorrow:
US AIRWAYS TAKING APPLICATIONS FOR THESE POSITIONS AT THESE PAY LEVELS-
pilot: $75,000/yr.
co-pilot:$40,000/yr.
flight attendent:$30,000/yr.
mechanic:$40,000/yr.
reservation:$20,000/yr.
ramp service:$18,000/yr.
CALL 1-800-WORK NOW
wanna bet how many would trip over themselves to get OUR jobs?with no waaa waaa?
----------------
[/blockquote]Considering that 5 out of the 6 jobs listed are below the 2001 mean individual Male and Female all races US income rate of about 40,500..3 of them WELL BELOW..(http://ferret.bls.census.gov/macro/032002/perinc/new10_001.htm), I am not so sure I'd be putting on my P.F. FLYERS to sprint out for an interview.

[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif']

And furthermore , based on experience, I ask rhetorically, what kind of long standing dedicated reliable "smiling help" do you expect to get at those lower wages?