I would like your honest opinion

ekjkj

Feb 16, 2006
In my heart of hearts I don't think PIT maintenance will be here much after 2012 (at the very latest), with that said my wife and I are starting to look at other cities to relocate to and we are thinking of looking out west. PHX and DEN are some of the places we are thinking about looking at and I was wondering if anyone has anything they like or dislike about them or any other place the company still has maintenance. I don't want to stir the "this city against that city" pot I just would like to know the uniqueness of certain cities. Thanks

Please dont listen to anyone's personal opinion because you have to decide for yourself. I moved here (to PHX) about 1.5 yrs ago and can't wait to leave. I do love the weather but some things are quite undesireable. The crime rate is escalating, driving on the freeways is a daily challenge! Lots of illegal immigrants here. The public transportation infrastructure is terrible at best. Real estate prices are totally ridiculous! Plus if youre allergic to dust, then watch out! I could go on...I suggest you visit here and see for yourself. If you know anyone who lives here personally, get in touch with them or do your own research. Good luck in your quest!

If you want to simulate PHX weather to see if you can stand it, turn your oven on for 15 minutes, and then open the door and stick your head in it. If you don't throw up or faint, then consider PHX. ;)

If you want to simulate PHX weather to see if you can stand it, turn your oven on for 15 minutes, and then open the door and stick your head in it. If you don't throw up or faint, then consider PHX. ;)
I just about pissed myself reading that! I am out here in PHX on a 40hr layover and I am so over it! Was only able to lay at the pool for an hour, and the walk to dinner just about did me in. Thank god the A/C works so well in this hotel!

Moved tp PHX from back east 12 years ago and love it. My Family is still in PA and I can barely stand a visit back there. As for PHX or DEN if your staying with US Airways I don't think there is to much oppurtunity or security long term in Den. PHX may eventualy get some Heavy MX back in the Hanger. I see PHL, CLT & PHX being the long term MX bases with PIT getting phased out. There is also lots of other aviation jobs in the area too.

I was in PHX this past June and am thinking of moving there after retirement. I found that their 108 was more comfortable than our 95 and humidity in CLT...It did reach 114 one day and that was unbearable, thank god for cold beer and a pool....and a/c.

Phoenix sucks as it reminds me of one big, hot, dusty truck stop, especially with some of the nefarious people. The downtown has greatly improved over the years, and "the right suburbans" aren't so bad, but there is little to avoid the brutal summers and the current housing mess. Not sure what are the opportunities in Denver, but if you prefer snow to heat, then it is a clear choice in that regard.

So Figures Jester.

I enjoy my layovers in PHX. I am one of the few that still rents a car and floats down the salt river on a hot day. If you can stand the desert, PHX is your place. I love DEN though. The mountains are beautiful and the people are great. It's always nice working at the ski resorts part time for some extra cash and benefits too. I don't know what is the best for you position, but both places are decent choices. My friend from Lake Tahoe recently relocated to PHX and loves it. It is just what your preference is . Visit both and decide for yourself and your family.

I think you have to consider what is important to you. I can take or leave PHX in the summer, but the winters are amazing!! Also, one needs to venture out of PHX and head north for some amazing scenery. Sedona is beautiful and if you want to escape the heat, a trip to Flagstaff will do. Like any city, there is good and bad and you will have to weigh it out. My concern with you is the housing market. If you were moving from PHX-PIT, you would do better, but PIT-PHX could be costly.

If you want to be around other 'burgher, Charlotte is the place to be. The winters are mild and the while the cost of living is keeps going up, there's nothing like being around those that remind you of home or a fellow fanbase, if you.

Good luck, regardless.

Phoenix is hot 3-4 months a year, but it is generally more comfortable than east coast 90/90 days and you do not need to worry about snow which, to me, was a major pain in the rear. The other months are absolutely wonderful. Also, there is so much sun that folks actually relish rain events out here.

The major issues to Phoenix, long term, are water availability with the degree of building that has occurred and commuting (time, distance and cost).

I'm out in Phoenix right now for some meetings and I miss my 2 years here, but Florida is my home. The weather here is very nice if you HATE humidity... there have been days in Florida where its only 80 out and i'm absolutely miserable because of the humidity.

Traffic in Phoenix blows, as others have stated. They're presently adding another lane to the 101 (East loop) but that won't help too much cause once its opened, they'll have to look at adding another lane.

the other thing that blows chunks about PHX are some of the red-light zappers. If you approach an intersection, look to the right side and you'll see a wierd -looking box with a camera inside. If you don't see one, just look down at the intersection for red lines.

I had some friends who left Phx for Den two years ago because they couldn't stand the heat. Now they are begging to come back to Phx because they hate the cold and snow in Den and say the summers are hot in Den too. So the grass always looks greener somewhere else but in reality it is not.

I had some friends who left Phx for Den two years ago because they couldn't stand the heat. Now they are begging to come back to Phx because they hate the cold and snow in Den and say the summers are hot in Den too. So the grass always looks greener somewhere else but in reality it is not.
If you have children, I would recommend moving to Denver. I miss my Beautiful hometown. You will always get 4 full seasons a year, and the falls are beautiful. The school sytems are great, and cost of living managable. People are very nice and your neigbors talk to you. :up:

PHX sux! People are very rude! Hot, polluted, murder and crime skyrockted over the last few years. Illegal immigrants everywhere without insurance, irrate drivers, immense heat, dust, dust, dust. Sky Harbor airport is to congested, always wait for gate. Pool drownings, hot from May to Oct. Would never raise my kids here!!! :down:

I'd recommend CLT.

There are those who would disagree but I think it's a nice city. And you don't have to reside in the city limits. There are small towns around Charlotte where you can live and still be within 30 to 40 mins. of the airport.

The city is growing and is having it's fair share of growing pains such as traffic snarls but they are being addressed.
And the schools have made big improvements. A good realtor will of course inform you of the best school districts.

Living in the piedmont area gives you a lot of choices for fun things to do also. You would only be within a few hours drive to the mountains or the beach. And I for one think The Great Smokey Mountains are the most beautiful ranges on the east coast. Carolina beaches are lovely also. Kitty Hawk and the Outer Banks are my favorite. But that's more than a few hrs drive. Any of the beaches here are great. And the nice thing is because the Gulf Stream runs so close to the coast so the water is warm and the fishing is great. ( I like to surf fish )
Boating is really big around here too because we have so many lakes and rivers.

And if you like Nascar, you'll be in hog heaven. ( not my cup of tea )
:lol:

Come on down. The weather is great.

I'd recommend CLT.

There are those who would disagree but I think it's a nice city. And you don't have to reside in the city limits. There are small towns around Charlotte where you can live and still be within 30 to 40 mins. of the airport.

The city is growing and is having it's fair share of growing pains such as traffic snarls but they are being addressed.
And the schools have made big improvements. A good realtor will of course inform you of the best school districts.

Living in the piedmont area gives you a lot of choices for fun things to do also. You would only be within a few hours drive to the mountains or the beach. And I for one think The Great Smokey Mountains are the most beautiful ranges on the east coast. Carolina beaches are lovely also. Kitty Hawk and the Outer Banks are my favorite. But that's more than a few hrs drive. Any of the beaches here are great. And the nice thing is because the Gulf Stream runs so close to the coast so the water is warm and the fishing is great. ( I like to surf fish )
Boating is really big around here too because we have so many lakes and rivers.

And if you like Nascar, you'll be in hog heaven. ( not my cup of tea )
:lol:

Come on down. The weather is great.

and we have a Realtor here on the forums IntlSnn :) She's a darling and surely will tell you where to move in CLT. Maybe she'll give you the airline rate too.

Latest posts