IAM 141 TA discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

necigrad

Veteran
Aug 21, 2007
Well, the mods didn't control the last thread, so I'm starting a new one. 700, Tim, Jester, and the rest, PLEASE don't screw this one up with your childish bickering!

Any updates on negotiations?

MODERATOR NOTE:
Will let this stand as the new thread. The other one is closed. Stay on topic & not make it personal.
FYI- We are not here 24/7 even though some of you think so & for your first comment you are border line getting time off.

Spoke to someone yesterday and heard that an announcement of some sort will be coming out this weekend, possibly today.

Well, all you have to do is look at the last T/A, bring doubletime to the front end, raises all at same time, no 6 month waiting period for the raise, and voila' there you have it. Our new T/A to vote on. I for one would hope to see more, but the last T/A was "the best that we could do". So don't expect anythimg more, even though we do deserve it. JMHO

PJ your forgetting the most IMPORTANT change that needs to be made from the last TA , and it’s not overtime , sick pay , holiday pay or any of those issues , it’s JOB SECURITY aka scope ….

We must protect our fellow brothers and sisters who reside in the field stations , hard working men and women who, like ourselves in the hubs, have given their all so this company can succeed.

This company bears the American flag , it had BETTER respect Americans and not seek to outsource decent paying jobs to the lowest bidder . AKA the service airing of America ….

Time is running out , if the company men can’t come to a reasonable agreement with our union then I fear we shall all jump hand in hand with this company and it’s unions off of that great precipice , from which there is no return .

We must protect our fellow brothers and sisters who reside in the field stations

Freedom,
Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't you one of the advocates for the outsourcing language? The sacrifice the few in favor the many type of thing. IMO it WILL be the last T/A with a few changes.

That’s right PJ , I was in favor of voting for the last TA because like a lot of people I wasn’t fully informed about the reality of the field stations getting scrapped . That whole time delay they threw into the TA really tripped me up leading me to think that the company wouldn’t “really†get rid of those stations , but after getting a more insightful view from some of the more informed people down here , I understand that those workers would have been kicked to the curb ASAP .. I was wrong about advocating the last TA but only because it lacked serious job protections for our brothers and sisters , most of it was fine EXCEPT for the scope …

In my travel’s I’ve gotten to talk to a few of the guys from the field stations , and I understand a bit more now how tough life can be out there .Not only do these guys turn our own companies planes , but they also work the mesa flights AND usually they do other airlines as well , not to mention they clean our planes when their on the ground in the field stations . These guys do a lot of work and they do it well . It would be another stupid move for this company to outsource these jobs to the lowest bidder , as I see it , if we’re going to keep this company alive we’re going to have to fight it so that it doesn’t focus on short term gain to the detriment of long term health .

For once I agree with you freedom. As you recall I was big into not supporting the outsourcing language. With that said. IMO it will be almost exactly the same as the last T/A. With a few modifications. I think this because we have an inept negotiating team in there for us. But like I said this is just my opinion.

I got good news for ya then , if you think our team is inept then it should put us about equal with the companies team , so level playing field there lol !

Well inept may not be the right word. How about a bunch of company yes men/boys. They do no negotiating for us, they take, garciously I might add, what the company want's us to have. There is no fight in them. It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight with them. They have surrendered before the war even started.

I got good news for ya then , if you think our team is inept then it should put us about equal with the companies team , so level playing field there lol !
everyone seems to think that where going to get to vote on this, I think the union is going to shove this T/A down our throats!

I would use almost the same terms to describe the negotiators I’ve seen from america west airlines . Here in PHX our companies negotiators have lost EVERY SINGLE MAJOR SERVICE CONTRACT that our company has ever had . We’ve provided exceptional service to every service contract we’ve ever had (top stats in the country usually ), in fact I once heard that the British airways flight that flys out of PHX for which america west airlines used to service , well that contract was lost because the negotiators wouldn’t budge over a push tug , so they actually lost a contract in which they were not even the lowest bidder and were going to make money out of !

HA , gone , CO , gone , BA , gone …. That and I’m sure countless other service contracts lost … I actually talked about this with a friend of mine yesterday and we hypothesized that because us airways pays it’s management so little we might not have been able to afford the sharpest knives when it comes to negotiators .

i dunno thou , i could be wrong , they could have new people doing the talks , i mean realistically that last TA wasn’t that bad ….in fact I felt it was reasonable , except of course for the scope … but who knows , this is why I hate negotiations because it’s hard for me to wrap my mind around the constant give and take and bluffing that goes on , like some messed up game of poker that involves our lives ..

I would use almost the same terms to describe the negotiators I’ve seen from america west airlines . Here in PHX our companies negotiators have lost EVERY SINGLE MAJOR SERVICE CONTRACT that our company has ever had . We’ve provided exceptional service to every service contract we’ve ever had (top stats in the country usually ), in fact I once heard that the British airways flight that flys out of PHX for which america west airlines used to service , well that contract was lost because the negotiators wouldn’t budge over a push tug , so they actually lost a contract in which they were not even the lowest bidder and were going to make money out of !

HA , gone , CO , gone , BA , gone …. That and I’m sure countless other service contracts lost … I actually talked about this with a friend of mine yesterday and we hypothesized that because us airways pays it’s management so little we might not have been able to afford the sharpest knives when it comes to negotiators .

i dunno thou , i could be wrong , they could have new people doing the talks , i mean realistically that last TA wasn’t that bad ….in fact I felt it was reasonable , except of course for the scope … but who knows , this is why I hate negotiations because it’s hard for me to wrap my mind around the constant give and take and bluffing that goes on , like some messed up game of poker that involves our lives ..
Maybe to many company lovers in PHX not enough union brothers..........................?

Here is the 2 options that I see playing out.
Option 1- The same T/A with the IOU's on the front end, no waiting 6 months to get our raises, and we stiil have to give back profit sharing, and still $19.00 an hr.
Option 2- The I'll Ask Management sez that no agreement could be reached, more talks being scheduled.

JMO though

I admit while the east side of the network is by far usually the stronger of the two , this time the west is being driven by desperation/rage , so no , we are not weak union wise out here in PHX …

Having you east guys with us is like having the proverbial 800 pound gorilla .with your brut forcefulness and our desperation /rage , I think we should be able to flesh out a reasonable TA from this company .

As for the union being able to do anything about the service contracts that’s outside of it’s legal scope … When we’re pimped out to work another airlines flights there’s nothing our union can do … But most of the guys I talked to down here in PHX were happy to do the service flights even though it was more work ..also there was the prestige involved in having some of the best stats in the country for the service flights that went out of our airport , I think for awhile there AWA was known as a really great company to have ones flights serviced by , at least on the ramp side of the operations or so I’ve been told .

Status
Not open for further replies.