IAM Contract Questions

AIRWOMAN

Veteran
Oct 20, 2005
The following got lost in another thread. I really would like to have some information/feedback on these questions. Sorry..........but you'll need a copy of the IAM contract for the references.

As I purused the IAM contract I have questions and concerns.
Sorry but I cannot copy and paste the references.

1. Reference Pg. 8, lines 22 though 25 and Pg. 156 lines 31 through 33. These are conflicting statements (and I didn't search for any more) regarding "Supervisory" personnel and performing work or not performing work covered under the agreement.

2. Reference Pg. 9 & 10, beginning with line 45. Can anyone explain that?

3. Reference Pg. 18. IAM Contract with less paid holidays. A number were lost with no provisions to reinstate the loss.

4. Reference Pg. 34, lines 8 through 11. There are people on furlough accrueing seniority for 5 years. That's a long time.

5. Referrence Pg. 51, beginning with line 35. Vacation time lost, again, with no provisions to reinstate the loss.

6. Reference Pg. 56, beginning with line 15. Sick time lost, again, with no provisions to reinstate the loss.

7. Reference Pg. 58, beginning with line 18. Involuntary furloughed employees have travel benefits for themselves and eligible family members for 3 years. Nice for them but how will that affect current employees from both sides?? This would be a great argument for first come, first served.

8. Reference Pg. 67, lines 24 through 34. Rented uniforms? Pay to rent and launder?? Rented uniforms and someone else launder them, sure wouldn't be my choice.

9. Reference Pg. 72, lines 1 through 5. Sounds like the "guarantee" of insourcing work is no such thing. Think about it, as noted before, there was a HUGE auction in PIT and CLT, of US Airways assets. I'm sure that the auction process did not pay the cost to repurchase this equipment in the future. So based Pg. 72, lines 1 through 5, there isn't any guarantee of anything..........it's a huge loop hole for the company.

10. Reference Pgs. 74 through 76. Hourly base rates...........steps? What is the criteria for moving from one step to another? Time with the company? Time in the position? Based on performance reviews? Based on one's relationship with the boss? Someone please explain? And based on this scale, the wages are lower in some areas and higher in others.

11. Reference Pg. 85, lines 11 through 13. Pension Plan? Is that true?? Who manages that? Who holds the combo to that safe?

12. Reference Pg. 88, lines 1 through 14. This contract is and shall remain in force until December 31, 2009 unless and until reopened in accordance with the Railway Labor Act. Seems to be a good way to better both contracts.

13. Reference Pg. 92, lines 17 through 26. Doesn't seem to be all that great since there are statements such as "the company may..........." Another open door. And going back to my Item 9. reference. Please reference back to Item 9.

And these were just a few questions/concern that came to my mind. I have not analyzed either contract. But I feel that this is, should be, could be, must be a wake up for ALL employees. This is why the vote should happen. Maybe, just maybe, if everyone who is a "worker-bee" at this now combined airline, would calm down and really, really read the contracts, push the unions and the company for factual information, we all would be better informed. And only an informed employee can make an informed decision. There are good things and bad things in both contracts. This would appear to be the opportune time to take the best from both and press ahead. Just like everyone is told that the "company" is trying to do........take the best from US Airways and the best from America West and make the new airline, better.

Hey airwoman....you just gave 700 a homework assignment!!...Trust me...he will answer your questions....he always does!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

personally, #12 is my favorite.

Moderator Comment: Please don't quote an entire post.

Edited by Todd B 9:05 A.M.

Hey airwoman....you just gave 700 a homework assignment!!...Trust me...he will answer your questions....he always does!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

personally, #12 is my favorite.

I just hope that SOMEONE is willing to answer the questions. I did my homework and now I would expect those that have all the answers to please share them.

I'm waiting with the patience of Jobe.........NOT.

Sounds them same as the ibters who failed to answer my questions for days now.

The Question I have for 700 is. If we (HP) are brought under the US contract( which I do not want) per the statements made that the IAM is working on the transition agreement etc..., Do we have to vote to accept it? I would think that we could not be forced under a different contract against our wishes. You stated that US voted for the last concession contract, knowing full well that if it did not pass, the BK judge would have put it in against your wishes.?????

The Question I have for 700 is. If we (HP) are brought under the US contract( which I do not want) per the statements made that the IAM is working on the transition agreement etc..., Do we have to vote to accept it? I would think that we could not be forced under a different contract against our wishes. You stated that US voted for the last concession contract, knowing full well that if it did not pass, the BK judge would have put it in against your wishes.?????
NO

"4. Reference Pg. 34, lines 8 through 11. There are people on furlough accrueing seniority for 5 years. That's a long time."

It's a long time for someone to be out on the Street without a job too. I see nothing wrong with that at all. It is bad enough to be in that position in the first palce, and to lose seniority while you are gone would just be another Slap in the Face. Being a former FSA, I would already have to return to Starting rate of pay, as would any New Hires off the street. I can only hope that this little item is done away with IF the IAM is the Union at the merged carrier.

If anyone expects the group of IAM members on this thread to answer your questions, you are in for a big disappointment. Most of the answers that are given here are nothing more than a road to no where. Most of the time you will be answered with a question. :)

Why is it a no??
RANCH THIS IS ALL A IAM SMOKE SHOW I CAN SMELL IT FROM HERE. OK THAT MIGHT BE FEAR.WE GET MORE AND MORE IBT CARDS EVERY DAY!! WHY DO YOU THINK SO MANY OF THE IAM MEMBERS ARE UPSET WITH THE IAM(SMOKE AND LIES) :oops: :shock:
:p YOU KNOW THE IAM AND AWA MANAGMENT ARE MADE FOR EACH OTHER NOTHING BUT SMOKE AND LIES SMOKE AND LIES :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: SAY ITS NOT SO CAPTAIN SHE WILL SINK, LIKE A ROCK. BK-3 MR-7 CAN BE PROUD IAM SMOKE :p

Sounds them same as the ibters who failed to answer my questions for days now.

OK........days and days later. Still no answers. Mr. 700UW, would you please answer my questions.

And I apologize that the referenced pages in the beginning of this thread may or may not be accurate.........because I don't have an official copy of the IAM contract (which I WILL attempt to get with the help/information passed along to me by a certain individual, who will remain nameless because I would hate for you to think that that person is trying to HELP.....heaven forbid we should help each other out).......but since you are so well versed in the contract and the laws, I have faith in you that you can understand my questions.

And maybe, just maybe, yours will be answered too.......a showing of good faith between fellow employees WILL and should, go a long way.

Latest posts