IAM Fleet Service topic 2/1- (MERGED TOPICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fleet Service Update: District 141 and 142 Leaders with union attorney met the company during an arbitration hearing about health insurance. Neither side could agree on issues affecting costs, therefore the arbitration will continue on a later date. Also the company was notified of contract printing errors and have yet to respond. More information can be viewed on the district website. www.iam141.org

NO such beast rogue,
the only arbitration active right now is the insurance premiums.

Rouge-
I admire your ''perserverance''. You really want this
issue addressed. You obviously are not getting answers'
or at least not the ones you want to hear. This issue can only
be addressed through the bargaining process and RC sold that
away along with the ''yes'' votes for the next 3+ years. I have no
problem with D.O.H. seniority as I'd move up some but we were
not privy to the back room deals made prior to Delaney being
voted in.

On another note I'd like to see Delaney make some strides into
restoring a union commitment in the work place, especially in PHL.
The mgt. walks around here with no reprecussions to treating the
workforce with complete disrespect. They do whatever they want.
Our local GC is non existent.

Like you ''rouge'' I have issues also. One being the grievance
procedure. Where in if you win a grievance, proving a fault, there
is no punishment or need to correct the system. A grievance should
be awarded in pay not in ''work and pay''. You sign up when available
and if bypassed you prove fault but can only be compensated if you
work a shift in return. The OT room has no fault incurred. We are the only union airline that must work a ''grievenace'' won.
We ageed to this in our previous agrrement with RC............
again sold out and cannot be discussed to bargainig.

NO such beast rogue,
the only arbitration active right now is the insurance premiums.
I can only assume that the new sick policy point system isn't being contested. As usual, they made it sound like they were going to put up a fight, and then let it slip away into the night. :blink:

I can only assume that the new sick policy point system isn't being contested. As usual, they made it sound like they were going to put up a fight, and then let it slip away into the night. :blink:

That would be an incorrect assumption. The points system issue was expedited for arbitration and will be heard next month I think. Orioleman was referring to the item that was currently in active arbitration.

My question is what happens if we lose the arbitration on the points system? Is the company free to cut anybody over X number of points?

As far as I know, they are doing that now. The point system is alive and well, and they have been going back well into last year in order to charge points to anyone that was out or late during that time.

Has anyone heard anything about the company and the iam being in arbitration concerning seniority?

Rogue

Rouge… Yew beatin’ ahh dead horse… ain’t nobody gonna lisin’! They wonder why tha East Pilots voted in another Union of their own! Seniority is paramount in this industry! The IAM continues to refuse to address DOH as far as I know… good fella… might have sum insight on this…

P.S. The date you actually started work for the Company in Fleet Service... is "really" not yer true entry date! After careful... and complex formulas are applied… this date could fluctuate by a few years or so....

(Quote: Jester, previous forum)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"ChockJockey,

Excellent observations on your behalf, in particular the sanctimonius atttitude some have as if to be above all the West pettiness over a substantial pay raise an equating it with Judas' pieces of silver. Ironically, these same people who view West FSA as some myopic rabble will be the first to complain about the indulgences of executive pay. So long as they have theirs this "brotherhood" works just fine for them, in the meanwhile, West should have been happy to have waited another 5 years for a contract. Just imagine trying to negotiate during this economic tsunami... In Solidarity in Perpetuity, Brother!

So Concurs Jester."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well... now... Mr… Jester…

I thought yew were layin’ low! Tha “economic tsunami†that you so eloquently referred to… is the by-product of the very institutions that you condone!

We have seen a full on frontal assault on labor without regard to the consequences by yer buddy “Corporate Americaâ€!

Go on ringin’ tha bell fer Management… Tha truth is… as is currently reflected by every newscast, and newspaper around the world… this Country (USA) cannot… I repeat… cannot… function as designed without ahh robust livin’ wage… that is earned… and spent by tha American Middle Class Workers!

Give me some definitive evidence that this argument is not valid!

So adamantly enters into this forum…

Roabilly

P.S. Yer BBQ has now been in storage fer over ahh year…I'll hold it till yahh give me ahh forwardin' address... Gitcha Sum!

First of all that point system $h!t should have never ever been put in place--the company only put it in after the contract had been radified. Its pure BS I also have heard that cleaning is going back to mainline. Question is what happens to those in the outsourced cities where they have 1 or 2 or so mainline jets? It wont affect me but I do have friends in some places that are in the outsourced cities.

Well... now... Mr… Jester…

I thought yew were layin’ low! Tha “economic tsunami†that you so eloquently referred to… is the by-product of the very institutions that you condone!

We have seen a full on frontal assault on labor without regard to the consequences by yer buddy “Corporate Americaâ€!

Go on ringin’ tha bell fer Management… Tha truth is… as is currently reflected by every newscast, and newspaper around the world… this Country (USA) cannot… I repeat… cannot… function as designed without ahh robust livin’ wage… that is earned… and spent by tha American Middle Class Workers!

So adamantly enters into this forum…

Roabilly

P.S. Yer BBQ has now been in storage fer over ahh year…I'll hold it till yahh give me ahh forwardin' address... Gitcha Sum!

My Dearest Roabilly,

During this current economic crisis I have comtemplated the issue you raised to the so-called "Attack on the American Middle Class Workers!" As President Obama will not likely ask me to join the distinguished Vice-President Biden on his "Task Force on the Middle Class," I will expound my ideas within this forum.

I believe there is a cognitive dissonance within the public's thinking. We believe that all workers regardless of skill set or education have "rights" so-called living wages and generous benefits, but then understand we are competing in a global economy. Somehow we think a company can be competitive paying someone $20/hour, plus benefits to lean on a broom in an American factory, while attempting to be compete against a 3rd world producer. What you called "earned" for low-skill work at a "living wage" would appear to be more of a gift.

While economists on both sides of the political spectrum would agree that a robust middle class serves this nation best, there would be disagreement on the means to this end. Will it be a middle class formed from well-trained, well-educated workforce providing high level goods and services to a global economy or will it become a protectionist Smoot-Hawley march with Luddite leaders in Washington? Before you answer, think about the last time the US attempted large scale tariffs and embargos on imported goods to the US in the 1930s.

If you are looking for validity, consider the following factoid... the current unemployment rate for those with a bachelors degree is only 3.8%, even during this terrible economic downturn. Typically speaking most economists place "full employment" at around 3.5%. Those with a decent education and skill set are not the ones being hammered during these times. Point being, My Gentle Roabilly, is for you not to look for government or even a labor union help during these and future uncertain times, but rather to improve your own job skills and education, as the reality is that mashing bags need not require much in the way of an education or a skill set.

So Advises Jester.

P.S. I visited your Carolina style BBQ at CLT and that vinegar rub needs to be mixed with a helping of tomato sauce, worcestershire, molasses, garlic, onion, black pepper, and don't drink all the bourbon first before adding it to the mix.

You type like Pat Buttram spoke, and that is quite the achievement.

That would be an incorrect assumption. The points system issue was expedited for arbitration and will be heard next month I think. Orioleman was referring to the item that was currently in active arbitration.

My question is what happens if we lose the arbitration on the points system? Is the company free to cut anybody over X number of points?

Think about it. How can a new point system be disputed and expedited for arbitration next month without an overarching 'class' grievance? Or to put a different way, please inform us which specific grievance you are referring to? I doubt they have even been striking arbitrators yet. Once it is known, 'who' is going to hear it, we may then be able to actually schedule a date.

It appears to me that DL141 has taken the position to handle the new attendance policy on a case by case basis as opposed to overarching 'class' grievance. I know many of your local chairpersons and if DL141 is going to handle the attendance violations as a class action grievance then I don't believe this has been communicated yet. You may be correct that a single or multiple attendance grievances are going to be arbitrated next month but if so, I certainly haven't heard.

I am convinced that DL141 believes certain aspects of the new attendance policy violate the terms of the agreement and will focus on nurturing specific grievances as opposed to one overarching grievance. Either path should produce at least equal chances.

At any rate, I think you must have been misinformed if you were told that this issue is going to be heard next month. Another thing in regards to your last sentence, this issue must be arbitrated immediately in a concise and focused way and without fear.

regards,
Tim Nelson
Local Chairman, 1487, Chicago

If you are looking for validity, consider the following factoid... the current unemployment rate for those with a bachelors degree is only 3.8%, even during this terrible economic downturn. Typically speaking most economists place "full employment" at around 3.5%.

I think you got the numbers right there Jester, but the static itself is wrong. "Full employment" is an overall employment figure of population. It has nothing to do with education. The 3.8% of educated workers is part of the overall unemployment rate, which is something well over 6% now. Those with BSs and BAs just added to the unskilled labor that made up the 3.5% and all the unskilled persons that have increased that number as well.

Think about it. How can a new point system be disputed and expedited for arbitration next month without an overarching 'class' grievance? Or to put a different way, please inform us which specific grievance you are referring to? I doubt they have even been striking arbitrators yet. Once it is known, 'who' is going to hear it, we may then be able to actually schedule a date.

It appears to me that DL141 has taken the position to handle the new attendance policy on a case by case basis as opposed to overarching 'class' grievance. I know many of your local chairpersons and if DL141 is going to handle the attendance violations as a class action grievance then I don't believe this has been communicated yet. You may be correct that a single or multiple attendance grievances are going to be arbitrated next month but if so, I certainly haven't heard.

From what I heard last week at my union meeting there is a systemwide grievance in place, however station chairs (incluing my own) are choosing to start a second "front" locally to try to fix the issue. Supposedly the systemwide grievance is waiting for expedited arbitration, so things are happening, just nothing that is really "progress", just moving along the timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.