IAM Labor Agreement successor?

Solidarity

Advanced
Aug 26, 2005
>I'm the Director of Labor Relations for the ground groups which includes
>Fleet Service so your email was
> forwarded to me to respond to your concerns expressed in your email.
>
>At this point in time there is simply no answer to the question of which
>cities may be outsourced within fleet service at the merged integrated
>carrier. It is the Company's view that the language contained in the scope
>provisions of the two labor agreements requires that the IAM contract is
>the successor labor agreement in the merger (regardless of which union is
>the final representative).
>
> When we get to the final negotiations related to the final single
>agreement for the merged carrier, both the company and the final union
>representative may make other proposals, subject to mutual agreement.
>
>We cannot get to those final negotiations for the single agreement until
>after we know which union is the fleet service representative at the merged
>carrier. And, we will not know the answer to that question until the
>National Mediation Board ( "Board") either decides that the union
>representative of the smaller group does not have a "show of interest" from
>at least 35% of the combined group, in which case the Board normally
>extends the certification of the larger union without a representation
>election, or in the alternative, determines the union representative from
>the smaller group does have the required 35% interest, in which case the
>final representative will be determined through a Board conducted
>representation election. The unions filed the "show of interest" on Feb.
>13, 2006 and after a verification/challenge period will issue a
>determination. Once we have a final union representative, we will meet
>with that union for transition negotiations.
>
>Ron

It is the Company's view that the language contained in the scope

Can someone point out what part of the scope language in both contracts addresses what contract is the successor labor agreement. Doesn't the NMB made that determination. Can the verbage and facts please be posted not any guessestimating from you know who.

Can someone point out what part of the scope language in both contracts addresses what contract is the successor labor agreement. Doesn't the NMB made that determination. Can the verbage and facts please be posted not any guessestimating from you know who.

I'm not aware of any prior case where the NMB actually made a determination that would support that the TWU's contract at AWA would be the successor. You can bank on the IAM's abrogated contract being the contract baseline in which any transition agreement will be incorporated into. Harbison is right.

Any transition agreement will cover seniority issues. And if the TWU wins an election then the IAM agreement will set in motion certain retirement issues where the company will stop contributing into the IAM pension and instead initiate contributions into a 401k.

Unfortunately, the IAM's abrogated bankrupt contract has language that subjects many of America West stations to being contracted out. IMO, other than PHX, LAS, and a couple other stations that have enough flights that come under the scope canopy language it is likely the majority of America West stations may be subject to being contracted out, unless work rules are deeply relaxed.

As a side, I have heard union loyalist now putting out rumors that the union is going to negotiate about a buck an hour raise, better health coverage, paid sick time, and more vacation. Much of that talk is equated to drunken promises in the dark and utter nonsense...unless your company actually submits to an unlikely scenerio in which it wants to open up the entire contract.

To be sure, any union can legally request to open up a contract [section 6's] but a company has to mutually agree to it, otherwise the duration stands. Again, I find this extremely wishful thinking.

regards,

TWUs position and has been their position for a while is, that if TWU is elected their new representatives that TWU cannot be stuck with the IAM negotiated contract, due to the fact that TWUs contract with the current company is ammendable. This is also the position of the Teamsters.

TWU membership will suffer severly if the IAM contract is imposed on us, not only outsourcing but paycuts to 250 members. Loss of holiday pay, loss of Double time, loss of Sick time, Loss of short term diability, loss of 401k match, loss of about 850 jobs to outsourcing, this is what the TWU membership will lose by going under the IAM contract.

And Harbison makes no bones about it, with the IAM contract there will be outsourcing, the question is how much?

It is the Company's view that the language contained in the scope

wow, i think someone else mentioned this.....

don't let the facts get in your way :lol:

these labor relations geeks dont' go to the bathroom without a plan....the day its all decided,they pull out a file and initiate it.... ;)

I do realize you everyone has their own agenda but really all I am looking for is the actual language in both seperate contracts scope provisions that Ron Harbinson uses to make his determination that regardless of which union is the final representative the IAM contract will be the successor labor agreement.

If I remember correctly HP does outsource some stations on the ramp.

CT, that is done by the NMB and the RLA as they ruled on single carrier status.

I do realize you everyone has their own agenda but really all I am looking for is the actual language in both seperate contracts scope provisions that Ron Harbinson uses to make his determination that regardless of which union is the final representative the IAM contract will be the successor labor agreement.
700uw was referring to past precedence as ron harbinson is also basing what he said.

NMB past rulings is where these guys come from.

700uw was referring to past precedence as ron harbinson is also basing what he said.

NMB past rulings is where these guys come from.

Ok I'll try again this time I will quote directly what he said in his email

"It is the Company's view that the language contained in the scope provisions of the two labor agreements requires that the IAM contract is the successor labor agreement in the merger (regardless of which union is the final representative).

I am not talking about what 700 said and I am not trying to read into his words. He didn't mention precedence or NMB rulings. He mentioned "scope language" in the contracts of both unions. I want to see and read that language he is talking about. Its that simple.

Hey charlie, your problem is what we are facing on the TWU side.

The company and IAM have no copies of their contracted in print form. They dont even have it in full on the IAM website. So what your asking for you cant get from the IAM.

TWU however go to local580.org and then contract, its in pdf format section 1.

700 the only stations that are outsourced are stations that have NEVER had HP employees employed. Once employees on the ramp were employed they can no longer contract out, only downsize. Thus we have not sold ourselves to the company, stick to maintenance, and quit talking about FS.

I can talk about anything I want too, and yes that means you outsource if the company does not staff a station where you fly into.

Funny I have touched many logbooks and read them, cant sign them off nor write in them, lol.

I can talk about anything I want too, and yes that means you outsource if the company does not staff a station where you fly into.

Funny I have touched many logbooks and read them, cant sign them off nor write in them, lol.
WOW IMPRESSED WHICH IS IT STOCK CLERK OR TOOL CRIB

He is not a mechanic either - he can't touch the logbook
who actually gives a damn??

the guy handles sensitive a/c parts....and is aware of their functionality......and their a/c applicability and you attempt to assassinate his credibilty?

a guy like him keeps stupid mech's from making stupid mistakes.....

how many times do stupid mechanics put parts on an aircraft w/o checking effectivity?

give the guy his due respect...you know i'm right...if not...KMA!

who actually gives a damn??

the guy handles sensitive a/c parts....and is aware of their functionality......and their a/c applicability and you attempt to assassinate his credibilty?

a guy like him keeps stupid mech's from making stupid mistakes.....

how many times do stupid mechanics put parts on an aircraft w/o checking effectivity?

give the guy his due respect...you know i'm right...if not...KMA!

Give 'em He11 Dell!! :up:
:up: