IAM Paycuts

wts54

Senior
Sep 16, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Judge orders temporary pay cuts for UAL machinists
Friday January 10, 9:19 am ET
CHICAGO, Jan 10 (Reuters) - A U.S. bankruptcy judge on Friday ordered temporary 13 percent pay cuts for unionized machinists at United Airlines, buying the airline more time to negotiate broad concessions at its entire unionized work force, said a source familiar with the matter.
United, a unit of UAL Corp. (NYSE:UAL - News) and the world''s second largest airline, filed for bankruptcy on Dec. 9.
Since then, four of the carrier''s five unions agreed to temporary pay cuts to help the airline reorganize. But the International Association of Machinists, representing about 37,000 workers, argued the airline had not shown why the cuts were needed now.
U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Eugene Wedoff issued his ruling this morning, agreeing the pay cuts were necessary.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/10/2003 10:44:16 AM novaqt wrote:

FYI...the Judge ordered 14% to average 13% since the first of the year. Who has fuzzy math now? 10 days does not add up to an additional 1% pay reduction until May 1. So in actuality, the lowest paid Public Contact Employees in reservations are being hit the hardest.
----------------
[/blockquote]

10 days X 13% (no cut) = 130
130/ approx 110 days = approx 1% per day

FYI...the Judge ordered 14% to average 13% since the first of the year. Who has fuzzy math now? 10 days does not add up to an additional 1% pay reduction until May 1. So in actuality, the lowest paid Public Contact Employees in reservations are being hit the hardest.

Arguably this action could be better than being locked into a concessionary contract that would last longer than the current emergency. Is it just pay cuts, or were language and work rules also effected?

Come on now!! Everybody shouldn't be so surprised. The IAM knew that the Judge was going to rule the way he did. The IAM had nothing to lose by taking it to the Judge, this was only a temporary reduction. It was either bring it to the membership for ratification, which had a great chance of not passing, or let the judge do the dirty work. That was to show the stubborn members who thought the Judge was going to give us a better deal.

I know the IAM and the Company will come to an agreement for a permanent contract modification rather than take it to the Judge again for an ultimate rejection of our contract.

I am a mechanic from AA:

My question: 13% across the board? Why are the mechanic license premiums part of this cut?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/10/2003 9:32:19 PM ual747mech wrote:

Come on now!! Everybody shouldn't be so surprised. The IAM knew that the Judge was going to rule the way he did. The IAM had nothing to lose by taking it to the Judge, this was only a temporary reduction. It was either bring it to the membership for ratification, which had a great chance of not passing, or let the judge do the dirty work. That was to show the stubborn members who thought the Judge was going to give us a better deal.

I know the IAM and the Company will come to an agreement for a permanent contract modification rather than take it to the Judge again for an ultimate rejection of our contract.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Anyone who has any knowledge at all about the history of Chapter 11 courts knew that the judge was going to give UAL what they asked for in wage concessions by the IAM.I admire the IAM for not voluntarly giving up wages and forcing the judge to do the dirty work.The history is LONG of the sheep following the shepherd to slaughter in the Chapter 11 courts.Braniff-Eastern-Pan Am-Peoples Express-TWA-.The UAL management will be back again and again for more concessions to compensate for their mismanagement of the Company.They are just like politicians who take more money from the taxpayer to attempt to fix budget problems.They have no viable plan for saving the company,just blame labor costs for all their problems.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/10/2003 5:32:20 PM Borescope wrote:

My wrench seems to turn 14% slower now.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I hope your kidding. Right???

Should I fly 29% slower? Or maybe just 29% less efficiently?

Should the F/A's work 9% less?

Why don't the gate agents and CS board the flight 13% slower?

This is ridiculous. If everyone subscribes to this kind of attitude we will soon ALL be 100% out of work.

Now is the time for us to be putting 150% into our jobs for the sake of our paying customers.

Now that they have the paycuts watch how fast they blow through the money. The first thing they've done is add another Executive VP position.
What's that now - 45?
The high priced consultants are already lining up with ideas on how to get rid of that "breathing room" cash.

As for me, I'll continue to work 100% as always
but I'm soon going to be voting...

with my feet.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/11/2003 6:35:57 AM HI-LOCK wrote:
[P][/P][BR]The management still will be back for more money even if everyone gives their best effort to save the company.I think giving your all until they come back again is a good idea then everyone should walk off the job.As one post said vote with your feet.As I learned in school something times zero is still zero.
[P][/P]----------------[BR][BR]Have you voted yet or are you still on the campaign trail. Perhaps you should take advantage of the early voting option and head on out the door. [/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 12:22:41 AM 767jetz wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/10/2003 5:32:20 PM Borescope wrote:

My wrench seems to turn 14% slower now.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I hope your kidding. Right???

Should I fly 29% slower? Or maybe just 29% less efficiently?

Should the F/A's work 9% less?

Why don't the gate agents and CS board the flight 13% slower?

This is ridiculous. If everyone subscribes to this kind of attitude we will soon ALL be 100% out of work.

Now is the time for us to be putting 150% into our jobs for the sake of our paying customers.
----------------
[/blockquote]

The management still will be back for more money even if everyone gives their best effort to save the company.I think giving your all until they come back again is a good idea then everyone should walk off the job.As one post said vote with your feet.As I learned in school something times zero is still zero.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 6:52:03 AM KCFlyer wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 6:35:57 AM HI-LOCK wrote:

[/P]
The management still will be back for more money even if everyone gives their best effort to save the company.I think giving your all until they come back again is a good idea then everyone should walk off the job.As one post said vote with your feet.As I learned in school something times zero is still zero.

[/P]----------------

Have you voted yet or are you still on the campaign trail. Perhaps you should take advantage of the early voting option and head on out the door. [/BLOCKQUOTE]

[/P]
----------------
[/blockquote]

I'm still on the campaign trail.