IAM Sets the Record Straight about the ibt scope language

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
IAM Sets the Record Straight on Teamsters / AWA Scope Language

On October 20, 2005 the Teamsters posted on their website the following AWA Teamsters scope language, which would mislead you to believe that their scope language protected their member’s jobs.

Article II Scope of the current AWA agreement states that all maintenance work performed in-house by Teamsters mechanics shall remain in-house and be performed by Teamsters mechanics. Management is prohibited from subcontracting; this has been tested and upheld trough the grievance procedure,

Here is the entire Article II Scope clause from the current AWA Teamsters agreement.

Article 2 Scope

2.1 The Company hereby recognizes the Union as the sole collective bargaining agent and authorized representative for those employees of America West Airlines, Inc. composing the craft or class of Mechanics and related employees as certified by the National Mediation Board in Case No. R-6420 on April 19, 1996 and as clarified in Case No. CR-6618 on January 13, 1998.

2.2 All Aircraft maintenance work, facilities maintenance work and ground equipment maintenance work performed for the company shall be within the jurisdiction of the Union and shall be performed by employees on the America West Airlines Mechanic seniority list except as provided in Section 2.3 below.

2.3 The parties agree that the Company may continue to (a) contract out work heretofore customarily or historically contracted out (B) return equipment parts or assemblies to the manufacture or to a manufacture-approved repair station for repair or replacement, © contract out work when the Company’s facilities and equipment are not sufficient, or qualified personal are not available, or where employees available do not have the experience and the ability to perform the work required, (d) contract out work at any location where such work has not heretofore been performed by unit employees on a regular basis, or at any location where the Company has not heretofore maintained permanent maintenance facilities or employees. The Company shall not, however, contract out work if such contracting out would result in a reduction in force for any employee covered by this agreement. Nothing in this article, however, shall prevent the Company from implementing a furlough for economic reasons unrelated to contracting out.

2.4 If the Company needs to contract out work presently performed by employees covered by this agreement and not described in paragraph 2.3(a) through (d) above, the Company will so notify the Union by written notice. If after the effective date of this agreement, the Union believes the Company is abusing the right to contract out as provided in this Article, the Union shall initiate discussions with the Company on that issue within ten (10) days of notice. Not later than ten (10) days after the conclusion of such discussions (as may be indicated in writing by one of the parties(, the Union may seek resolution of any alleged violation by filing a grievance using the procedures set forth in Articles 6 and 7. The Union shall file any sub-contracting grievances directly with the Company’s Vice President – Maintenance and Engineering, bypassing Steps One and Two of the Grievance Procedure set forth in Article 6.

What Does This Say

2.3 (d) says that the company can open as many stations as they want and do not have to staff Mechanics. They can out-source the work. In fact the Teamsters agreement allows supervisors to be staffed in some stations to oversee vendors that perform scheduled maintenance on America West Aircraft.

Sounds like very weak Scope language.

2.3(d) says that the company can contract out any work as long as it does not result in a reduction of employees covered by the agreement. But the company can have a furlough for economic reasons without violating the above language.

So let me understand what this means. If the company contracts out work, but does not layoff anyone this is good language.

But on the other hand the company can layoff for economic reasons employees covered under the agreement without brining back the work that was contracted out.

Sounds like very weak Scope language.

You should ask yourself one question, where would you be today on US Airways if the above Scope language was in your contract.

After two bankruptcies and the abrogation of the collective bargaining agreement by Judge Mitchell, the scope language in the current IAM&AW agreement is far superior to the America West Agreement.

You should ask yourself one question, where would you be today on US Airways if the above Scope language was in your contract.

You know it's funny. God wrote some language, his word. Most people ignore his word and why the woes of this world we struggle to survive in. This language in the union contract was not written by God, but instead by very mortal and very flawed men, some with half an education.

So we have the union talking heads begging you to believe that their "language" will make your life a better one, and that other unions language is a false language, one which will lead you to despair.

Well I submit here and now that both union languages will absolutely lead you to despair.

I received a copy of a farewell letter by one of the most passionate union leaders to come down the pike in decades. She is a well know lady that is throwing in the towel, had enough I guess and knows that all the "language" written by unions is as strong as the wet paper it was written on in today’s corporate climate. So she is moving on to saner pastures to graze in peacefully, for a change.

So the beat goes on and the argument pursued by Mr. 700 here that his fighting IAM leaders are the ones to choose to make you life a paradise.

I can tell you it doesn't matter what union you choose and in fact no union wouldn't be much different with all the bitter politics, and in fact might just be a better choice, given what unions accomplish in today’s world anyway.

Ask yourself why one man would spend an inordinate amount of time on here basically begging everyone who will read him that the IAM is the new God, what is his motivation, what will he personally gain, what's in it for him. Answer those questions and then use your God given brain and either ignore him or follow him. I would hope it’s the first choice, since it’s the only rational choice.

You have some serious issues.

I do it because I am a trade unionist and a IAM supporter.

Break any commandments lately?

huh... No layoffs at all since 95' :up: ... The rehire or offer of rehire to all terminated employees of 95' :up: . Even after 9/11 no layoffs?? :up: Ya crappy scope! :huh:
Since I started at AWA the IBT has brought back Phase checks and backshop work, structural/composite work, and has been working with the company to bring back more outsourced work ( outsourced prior to the IBT arrival) like Audio/Video work. The structures department has grieved the " What we have we do " scope several times and it has held up great.
We grieved the 737 dorsal fin inspection that they outsourced after we did one inhouse, and we won the grievance because we did it once it was no longer historically dont elsewhere. Its grey or vague but that works to our advantage. Just a difference on how your union represents your unit :shock: ( and ofcourse the state of your respective employer) with there CBA.

I'm confused on where your going with this..

WE at the new usair name only aka AWA bought your hangers and per our scope I think we now have the hangers,tools and man power too do in house C-cks.(JOBS)CALL backs... 2.3 The parties agree that the Company may continue to (a) contract out work heretofore customarily or historically contracted out ( return equipment parts or assemblies to the manufacture or to a manufacture-approved repair station for repair or replacement, © contract out work when the Company’s facilities and equipment are not sufficient, or qualified personal are not available, or where employees available do not have the experience and the ability to perform the work required, (d) contract out work at any location where such work has not heretofore been performed by unit employees on a regular basis, or at any location where the Company has not heretofore maintained permanent maintenance facilities or employees. The Company shall not, however, contract out work if such contracting out would result in a reduction in force for any employee covered by this agreement. Nothing in this article, however, shall prevent the Company from implementing a furlough for economic reasons unrelated to contracting out.

WE at the new usair name only aka AWA bought your hangers and per our scope I think we now have the hangers,tools and man power too do in house C-cks.
humm you mean the one that now has the HEINZ sighn on it,or the one Timco is moving into,ya the test cell,state of the art.And well I guess that was all your tooling auctioned off last month in Pitt.

Economic problems,how about we are at war,the price of fuel...hummm.

Nothing stops the new from selling anything they want,like the hangers we had in INDY,and then saying by by....

and before you talk about who bought what you had better take a look at all the lease agreements....yes your new A/C there leased not owned out right.Uncle Ed sold em all,then did the right thing retired,the new airlines of today lease.Except for probably southwest,smart move.

humm you mean the one that now has the HEINZ sighn on it,or the one Timco is moving into,ya the test cell,state of the art.And well I guess that was all your tooling auctioned off last month in Pitt.

Economic problems,how about we are at war,the price of fuel...hummm.

Nothing stops the new from selling anything they want,like the hangers we had in INDY,and then saying by by....

and before you talk about who bought what you had better take a look at all the lease agreements....yes your new A/C there leased not owned out right.Uncle Ed sold em all,then did the right thing retired,the new airlines of today lease.Except for probably southwest,smart move.
Dont know 4 sure what is going on but in AWA annual 2004 report stated $450 million in aircraft purchases?? This was seperate from lease/rental costs. It also forcasted $700 million in Aircraft purchases in 2005?
I kinda thought the 17 new buses were leases but where's all that money go.. Purchase /sell/ then lease back?

I dont know but I hope they buy big ones.....the more tires the better for all of us/east/west Hu woder what happened to the southern division,havnt seen them way in for a while.

Then again I could be wrong about leases,but I know we still lease alot.Gotta get out of that trap its like a car except you dont get the option to buy,just the obligation to repair and maintain it.

You have some serious issues.

I do it because I am a trade unionist and a IAM supporter.

Break any commandments lately?

Anyone who knows that Boofman is trying to persuade their actions knows who the problem child is. You can't run you own life but can dish out advice to thousands. I saw your emails, how disrespectful they were. You're from the old union school of vulgarity and threats and intimidation. I saw your emotional reactions when thrown off these boards trying desperately to get back on any way you could. You are the same person you have always been with a bone in this fight and because you set yourself up to fail, you’re desperate. I loathe your kind, little men with big mouths. You are exactly why unions are going by the way side with people of your caliber in their ranks as officials. The personalities some unions embrace only assures their total demise, the IAM being the top of the heap with you and Mr. Burger Fried and other sorry losers.

Your union God is failing you, your reactions are showing this, your life is unraveling with every post you make.

I’ll pray for you, because I am supposed to.

IAM Sets the Record Straight on Teamsters / AWA Scope Language

On October 20, 2005 the Teamsters posted on their website the following AWA Teamsters scope language, which would mislead you to believe that their scope language protected their member’s jobs.

After two bankruptcies and the abrogation of the collective bargaining agreement by Judge Mitchell, the scope language in the current IAM&AW agreement is far superior to the America West Agreement.

It has become a very difficut task for the IAM to understand and believe that the scope that is in place in the Teamsters contract is a good scope. Yes, it can always be improved. When the weak points of the IAM contract are brought to light, they scream Judge Mitchell. If Judge Mitchell was paid every time his name was written on this board he would be a rich man.

Our scope language supported by the contract has protected our jobs at AWA. The proof is......no one has lost their job. That seems to be a simple fact that the IAM cannot accept.

"Where would you be today on US Airways if the above Scope language was in your contract". "You would still have a job" is what some think the answer would be, not true. In todays world union contracts have become a very high dollar expense for the airlines. The IAM contract is a very good example. The old union attitude of "strength in numbers" has poven not to be true. It only takes one Judge to tear it down.

Yes, I know about the "victories" over the company concerning the outsourcing. All that accomplished was to push the company closer to the BK judge. The company asked for releif. The union said "hell no".

The Teamsters contract with AWA was not the highest paying contract out there, but because of that we all still have a future.

"the scope language in the current IAM&AW agreement is far superior to the America West Agreement." I can only say "tell that to the members that are unemployed" :)

Have you been through two bankruptcies in the past two years?

Every union on the property has been hit with job loss, why is the ibt not soliciting them too?

And the union did not say hell no, the company never approached the union about relief prior to them violating the IAM CBA and farming out the airbus. And the IAM came up with a proposal that gave the company relief and saved more jobs, but it was rejected.

Dont let the facts get in your way.

It is nothing to be proud of, it just shows the IAM CBA Scope language through two bankruptcies is still better then the ibt HP CBA.

So your attempts at a slam did not work.

It is nothing to be proud of, it just shows the IAM CBA Scope language through two bankruptcies is still better then the ibt HP CBA.

So your attempts at a slam did not work.

There was no slam intended just trying to understand why you are so proud of going through two BKs and then losing the "guts" out of your CBA. I would not be proud of putting thousands out of a job and then "bragging" about it. This kind of attitude worries me. I can only hope that the IAM is not representative of this kind of attitude. :)

It shows still through the bad times the IAM still managed to have better scope language then your ibt 10 year old contract.