IAM Talking Tough at USAirway

AMFAinMIAMI said:
This is copied from the USAirways site.

http://www.iamdl142.org/Bulletins/2014/USA_2014-M-AND-R-21.pdf

Isn't it a shame that they may talk tough but when all is said and done are they going to be like the TWU?

The IAM & TWU are working together and have signed a agreement to form an alliance, how can they even think about causing such a
disturbance? 
I especially like the part about not entering into a partnership with the TWU......They never should have agreed to it in the first place.

Reactions: 3 people
I am sort of torn. I do encourage an AMFA drive at US Airways. But now with talks of trying to get released. We may have a big fight on our hands that will need solidarity. Any suggestions AMFA in Miami

Reactions: 1 person
Jetmech321,
One should have nothing to do with the other. You can have disagreements and conversations with fellow mechanics about union representation. And also have solidarity when it comes to a potential strike against your company.
It doesn't hurt to collect cards while you are preparing for what might happen next. The issue of representation is not going away, and something you guys are going to have to face.

Reactions: 4 people
JetMech321 said:
I am sort of torn. I do encourage an AMFA drive at US Airways. But now with talks of trying to get released. We may have a big fight on our hands that will need solidarity. Any suggestions AMFA in Miami
jetmech321

I'm glad to hear that you are open to the thought of an AMFA drive at USAirways.

But preparing for a potential strike there as whoop whoop has said one has nothing to do with the other. You guys collected cards had a vote to remove the IAM all at the same time that you were in negotiations with DP. What has the IAM done for you?
The same thing the TWU has done to us. It's time for a change. I am NOT going to say that AMFA is the save all. But we both AA and US need a change. The Industrial machine has taken our dues and made all the top union officials rich while we loose.

They are appointed, a good Ole boys club. we have a chance to make a change that will make a difference to our craft now and for the future mechanics.
AMFA will also separate us from the ramp & stores. The same negotiation team won't be working for us as with them. We also can attend negotiations which you can't do with the IAM, TWU, or IBT. only a select few get to go with them and then again they only are allowed to hear some things.

If you have read this board you know what has been going on here at AA. With the TWU as our union we have lost so much it is just a mistake to keep the here any longer.
The association that the TWU/IAM has formed will only hurt our class and craft even more. This alliance is a big mistake and it would be a good thing if you and your fellow mechanics get started collecting cards.

If you need help getting cards and want to know what is required contact an AA mechanic at one of our class 1 stations each has a organizer. We also have been in contact with guys from PHX, CLT, PIT. 

This is for all of the NEW AA's mechanics.  aircraft/facilities/automotive. 

It is time we stand together in this endeavor. 

Reactions: 3 people
Just read the IAM release. Not good. My concern is that if the company allows USAir Techs to proceed with self help AA will force us to work on their aircraft since they will claim we are the same company. Has anyone heard of or know if any AA guys are working on USAir metal as far as contract calls? I know we have overlapping stations but not sure of the major hubs on the USAir side. If it gets to this point the TWU has to take a stand on this issue if and when it happens. I know I said the TWU has to take a stand, I tried not to stutter when I typed it.

You are not the same company, still two separate airlines both owned by AAG.

And you cant touch a US plane unless you have gone through training by US and approved by the FAA.

Reactions: 2 people
700UW said:
You are not the same company, still two separate airlines both owned by AAG.
And you cant touch a US plane unless you have gone through training by US and approved by the FAA.
Well sounds good but we have and do work on US planes.

What we need is something like this:

“We will do everything in our power to make sure a strike is successful,” said Transport Workers Union Local 100 President John Samuelsen.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/twu-president-backs-lirr-strike-article-1.1557993#ixzz2sqBAdC6Y

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/twu-president-backs-lirr-strike-article-1.1557993

AMFAinMIA;

Sometime less is more.

"It is time we stand together in this endeavor."

Should have left it at that.

This might turn out to be disastrous. If the TWU continues on their present course then I can see AA guys forced to work on USAir metal especially if there is a self help job action.
If all it takes is a CBT course and a so called rubber stamp the TWU will probably say they can do that.

Does your CBA contain language about performing stuck work?

The US IAM CBA does:

The Company shall not perform “Struck Work” of Wholly Owned Carriers. “Struck Work” is Mechanic and Related work traditionally and regularly performed by a Wholly Owned Carrier where and during the period the mechanic and related employees of that Wholly Owned Carrier are engaged in a lawful strike, and where the Company has not previously  performed the work in question. There shall be no prohibition against a  concerted refusal of employees of the Company to perform “Struck Work”.  Moreover, the Company will not hire employees of Wholly Owned Carriers to perform Mechanic and Related work at the Company during a period when the Company’s Mechanic and Related employees are engaged in a lawful strike.

700UW said:
Does your CBA contain language about performing stuck work?

The US IAM CBA does:

700UW

The company will do what ever it feels it needs to do to provide service to its customers.
The members of the TWU will work on US aircraft its all about the money.

They don't even support no overtime here at AA. 

The IAM works on struck work as well, the NWA guys went on strike and the IAM crossed that makes them SCABS.

Even back in the day the IAM had scabs at Eastern, and Continental. No matter whats in the CBA people are going to do what they feel is better for them and them alone.

The IAM Ramp had the language in their CBA to perform ancillary duties, fact.

And you didnt answer what I asked, does the TWU CBA have language to prevent struck work being performed.

And we went on strike in 1992, and only a handful of people scabbed, a few stock clerks, one avionics guy, a couple of utility and mostly GSE mechanics.

Did you fix planes when AA's FAs went on strike?

And the Trump Shuttle AMTs performed struck work when we went on strike in 92.

We tried our scabs and they were fined, several of them did pay to become a member in good standing again.

And the others were treated accordingly.

Business as usual when the F/A's went on strike back in 93. The other unions on the floor where given directives (Federal) no sympathy strikes. Won't happen here because we have the TWU looking out for the best interest of the ____________. (you fill in the blank)

As far as what is in our CBA? It is so vague that it gives a new meaning to Gray Area.
As far as I know the TWU may be putting together a secret letter of agreement to cover this very situation.

Well at US all three IAM CBAs and the AFA's CBA contains the language that you can honor a sanctioned strike, it was arbitrated and won by the AFA.