700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
The Concession Stand is Closed!

November 20, 2003

To All IAM Members at US Airways:

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

District 141 and 141-M Representatives today met with US Airways at the carrier’s headquarters in Arlington, VA.

CEO David Siegel again spoke about the need to reduce costs, due in part to increased competition from low-cost carriers such as Southwest Airlines and JetBlue. However, Siegel did not make any specific requests to the IAM. It appeared obvious that there is a lack of a strategic plan on the part of US Airways.

While we are willing to discuss plans to permit the carrier to remain a viable employer, the Machinists Union today informed US Airways that we will not enter into any discussions to change the terms of our collective bargaining agreements – the concession stand is closed!

Our members ratified significant cost reductions while the company was in bankruptcy, providing the carrier with the tools needed to return US Airways to profitability. If US Airways’ executives are incapable of successfully running this airline within the framework of our existing collective bargaining agreements, a more capable management team should be employed.

IAM members have made significant sacrifices to save US Airways. The fate of the airline now rests solely in the hands of David Siegel and his management team.

No further discussions are scheduled.

Sincerely and fraternally,

Scotty Ford
President and General Chairman
IAM District 141-M

S.R. (Randy) Canale
IAM District 141

700UW said:
the concession stand is closed!

Our members ratified significant cost reductions while the company was in bankruptcy, providing the carrier with the tools needed to return US Airways to profitability. If US Airways’ executives are incapable of successfully running this airline within the framework of our existing collective bargaining agreements, a more capable management team should be employed.

IAM members have made significant sacrifices to save US Airways. The fate of the airline now rests solely in the hands of David Siegel and his management team.

No further discussions are scheduled.

Sincerely and fraternally,

Scotty Ford
IAM District 141-M

S.R. (Randy) Canale
IAM District 141
700uw,

The IAM's current attitude twards the management team is no suprise, The only suprise is that it took this long.

The recent communique to IAM members titled " THE CONCESSION STAND IS CLOSED" says it all, and I hope it is heard clearly by ALL. :up:

"while we are willing to discuss plans to permit the company to remain a viable employer, the Machinists union today informed US AIRWAYS that we will not enter into any discussions to change the terms of our collective bargaining agreements."

I'm not the smartest person in the world but the above IAM quote seems a bit contradictory to me. I mean exactly what can be discussed between the IAM and US AIRWAYS if no terms of the CBA will be changed?
Please don't tell me that the IAM is going to be getting involved in finding a replacement for Dave. Regardless of my feelings about Dave, the IAM has shown an incompetance in such endeavors.

I’m not totally sure about Dave’s background. It is my understanding that he ran Continental Express and Avis. That’s Great!
I will say this about our old management team, they said you can not shrink to profitability.
All the employee groups submitted to two rounds of major concessions, with no talk of growth in the mainline, now Dave says times are changing and we need more cuts. I say not with you at the helm.
You had your chance Dave and blew it, Lets runs the show or shut it down!

delldude said:
about time for a definitive statement from IAM.KUDOS!
Yea, Yea. Talk is cheap. They ( the higher ups of the IAM, Robert Roach and Co.) also stated last year they would stand behind the memberships vote and fight. Then one week later they agreed to revote the EXACT same P.O.S. contract. Yea the stand is closed for now. But as soon as another cash offer is made, Scotchy Ford and co. will reopen the Koolade stand pronto. :( Don't kid yourself Monty hall is still in the house. :down:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 94
to much time to quit - Posted on Nov 21 2003, 03:58 PM

But as soon as another cash offer is made, Scotchy Ford and co. will reopen the Koolade stand pronto. Don't kid yourself Monty hall is still in the house.

Not this time.

Now that United has jumped the fence, US Airways M&R are the only "major airline" mechanics left for the IAM.

I just don't see the IAM leadership giving up anything while they are kicking the companys butt in court. Also the mood of the membership is quite humorless right now, isn't it?

That being said; the quickest way to get me and my co-workers to submit AMFA cards would be to start recommending concessions to us.

Latest posts