Iam With A “bigâ€￾ Attitude.

D

deano

I received a call from Potomac Air Lodge 1976 telling me although I am retired from U the IAM does not consider me retired and I can apply for a withdraw card over the phone. So it went downhill from there. The lady taking the information had an attitude, a union attitude which is obviously indicative of a lot of union members especially the ones employed at USAIRWAYS. I explained to her I would probably never work in an union environment again and she didn’t like that, so much so she invented voices her mind making believe I was cursing. You see I was standing right next to my son and in fact using his cell phone to make this call and he heard every word I stated. I was told I used the “Fâ€￾ word and she hung up on me. Upon calling back, a guy answered and promptly started lecturing me on proper etiquette and use of the English language and How to Win Friends and Influence People. When I explained to him that this lady was hearing things he hung up on me as well. I love it. The IAM lodge 1976 and the way they deal with members current and EX. Then union members wonder why they are losing the battle and the numbers are dwindling big time. If I have my way, and I will, I will never be employed by another unionized shop. This trip thru U was my second and last time dealing with the IAM. The first time was back in the mid 70’s where at that time I was hired right after a strike and ended up quitting 4 years later still hearing daily how screwed up that company was, “according to the union bossesâ€￾ which closed a year later, by the way, thanks to the mighty IAM. They can have their retirement card and their withdrawal card and place them far into darkness of you know where. 700UW please feel free to respond by calling your pals at local 1976 and tell them I lambasted them on the internet. I really could not care less.

Sincerely

Curt

EX U mechanic who couldn’t be any happier to be far and away from the IAM‘s nonsense.

If you could care less, then why did you bother to post this topic at all?

deano, I agree completely with your post.

Years back when I had to join the IAM, (would I have, if given the chance to say no????) I figured I might as well be an involoved member. Well, it didn't take very many meetings to see just how they worked. The first time I was shocked, then got used to it, and finally callous. That is, watching as some guy that didn't know what was about to happen to him, made the mistake of standing up at a meeting, and saying something the IAM didn't want to hear. At least a half dozen times in less than a year, I watched as some union honcho spent 5 to 10 minutes ripping the guy to shreds, until at last, they would either storm out, or sit down with a face so red, you thought they would explode. And never, did any of them return to any more meetings. I have personally seen this happen in both CLT, and PIT.Welcome to the IAM's world. Our way, or the highway!

By the way, I later thought it might help to be a shop stupid. Nope, still don't want to hear what you have to say.

The person he talked to is NOT an IAM member it is an office person.

AP Tech said:
:p "You're out of order" :p , but absolutely correct on your observations!!
[post="229328"][/post]​
if you were told you were out of order,apparently you do not understand how meetings are run......there is a time and place for everything including comments.....
learn the rules.......

700UW said:
The person he talked to is NOT an IAM member it is an office person.
[post="229327"][/post]​
This means you checked into it 700UW and for that...thank You.

I don't need their attitude. Like piney stated, paid union dues for years and getting treated like a whipping boy just didn't sit well with me so I vented where someone will actually hear my voice.

Happy Holidays all and best of luck with the rest of your lives after U, I am afraid some of you will need it.

Curt

If it was an office person the IAM should take all necessary steps up to and including termination to ensure members are not treated in such a manner. The IAM is only there because of the dues it's membership pays, and should have anyone acting on behalf of the IAM treat people in a professional manner.

So for a first offense you want someone to be terminated?

Ever here of progressive steps of discipline.

And this is from a guy who broke and entered into a coworkers office and snooped around and took things.

Last time I checked Breaking and Entering and Theft are grounds for termination.

700UW said:
So for a first offense you want someone to be terminated?

Ever here of progressive steps of discipline.
[post="229383"][/post]​

Progressive? Like having three occurences of the SAME things within a year? Yeah, that has worked well. In all my years here, I have not seen it work effectively, and that's including attendance. That is why some people we all work with, and you all know at least one of them, are still here sucking the blood out of your company. And you all who is there to go full steam ahead to protect them.

The reason it does not work because management has no idea on how to manage.

If you checked on all the people that were terminated and got their jobs back, you will find the majority got it back because MANAGEMENT did not follow the "just cause" standard and they get their jobs back on a technicality, not because they were innocent.

And the union by LAW has to protect everyone or they can be sued for "Duty of Fair Representation." (DFR).

And I have seen it work effectively, and remember discipline is not given out to be punishment, it is given out to correct behavior.