Iam

diogenes

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
When BK II became a certainty, the unions had two options.

Accept the concessions and job loss, and negotiate the least pain.

Or employ the Samson defense (and mean it; no bluffing).

ALPA, AFA and CWA opted for negotiations - and they were upfront about it.

IAM straddled the fence. The concession stand was closed ('the judge opened the stand' story won't wash; everybody knew when it got to him, there would have to be talks), but the membership was not prepared for a strike (at least, not how they teach preparation at Placid Harbor).

The company's October 2004 'final' proposal varies from the January 2005 'final' proposal, and the union takes credit for the improvements.

Well, was the stand open, or closed? Negotiations, or not? Hard to tell from the rhetoric, but the results are plain to see.

If there is to be a strike, then prep the membership and get on with it.

If not, then quit fronting one and accept the consequences.

From the activities to date, I believe the IAM leadership does not want a strike.
They have had knowledge of and influence over the company's final proposal, and are letting the company take the rap for a proposal they are, however reluctantly, prepared to accept.

Otherwise, why the vote and the no-strike promise?

IF (a big if) US survives, hopefully amfa will eventually replace iam. Unfortunately, protecting the profession appears less important than keeping some dues rolling in for iam

ojxux said:
IF (a big if) US survives, hopefully amfa will eventually replace iam. Unfortunately, protecting the profession appears less important than keeping some dues rolling in for iam
[post="238211"][/post]​

You people wouldn't be happy with Jesus Christ in charge!! <_<

firstamendment said:
You people wouldn't be happy with Jesus Christ in charge!! <_<
[post="238231"][/post]​
Actually, First....xux is right........this has been going on for sooooo long, EVERYONE knew what was coming!! I feel that the IAM has been dragging their feet, and therefore, prolonged the agony that is now upon the remaining(or, soon to be remaining) members! The writing has been on the wall for YEARS, and all of the chest pounding, and bantering back and forth on these boards for the last months, hell, years, has all been just that......chest pounding by those who want U to "die", and chest pounding by those who thought "negotiation" was the key! So...where does that leave all that remain? Vote NO,lose your job,lose severance and feel good that They "pounded their chest"?.....OR Vote YES, many will lose their job, get severance/unenployment/move on, and those that remain are at least employed, if that is what they consider to be employment!! I chose to leave...walk away from 17 years! To me, was not worth it anymore!. Everyone has their own reason....I do know one thing....THERE IS LIFE AFTER USAIRWAYS!!!! GOOD DAY!!!!!!!! :D

NeedForSpeed said:
Actually, First....xux is right........this has been going on for sooooo long, EVERYONE knew what was coming!! I feel that the IAM has been dragging their feet, and therefore, prolonged the agony that is now upon the remaining(or, soon to be remaining) members! The writing has been on the wall for YEARS, and all of the chest pounding, and bantering back and forth on these boards for the last months, hell, years, has all been just that......chest pounding by those who want U to "die", and chest pounding by those who thought "negotiation" was the key! So...where does that leave all that remain? Vote NO,lose your job,lose severance and feel good that They "pounded their chest"?.....OR Vote YES, many will lose their job, get severance/unenployment/move on, and those that remain are at least employed, if that is what they consider to be employment!! I chose to leave...walk away from 17 years! To me, was not worth it anymore!. Everyone has their own reason....I do know one thing....THERE IS LIFE AFTER USAIRWAYS!!!! GOOD DAY!!!!!!!! :D
[post="238241"][/post]​

Honestly, I'm just in a pi##y mood. That ok?

NeedForSpeed said:
ok with me!! you ok?
[post="238250"][/post]​

Just over it. Last night I spent a good 6 hours with a 12 year f/a who is an excellent worker. Because of all the insanity, this wonderful person who enjoy s his job is in a bad place. Too many sorry asses keep hanging around and need to leave while those good ones put up with the crap!! I am just pissed and those "I have beened her for ever and am entitled "#### who HATE their jobs just keep hanging on with their negative bullsh!t!! I'm over it and nobody seems to give a good GD!!

firstamendment said:
Just over it. Last night I spent a good 6 hours with a 12 year f/a who is an excellent worker. Because of all the insanity, this wonderful person who enjoy s his job is in a bad place. Too many sorry asses keep hanging around and need to leave while those good ones put up with the crap!! I am just pissed and those "I have beened her for ever and am entitled "#### who HATE their jobs just keep hanging on with their negative bullsh!t!! I'm over it and nobody seems to give a good GD!!
[post="238251"][/post]​
Understand the tension....just try to hang......got to get better sooner or later!!

diogenes said:
When BK II became a certainty, the unions had two options.

Accept the concessions and job loss, and negotiate the least pain.

Or employ the Samson defense (and mean it; no bluffing).

ALPA, AFA and CWA opted for negotiations - and they were upfront about it.

IAM straddled the fence. The concession stand was closed ('the judge opened the stand' story won't wash; everybody knew when it got to him, there would have to be talks), but the membership was not prepared for a strike (at least, not how they teach preparation at Placid Harbor).

The company's October 2004 'final' proposal varies from the January 2005 'final' proposal, and the union takes credit for the improvements.

Well, was the stand open, or closed? Negotiations, or not? Hard to tell from the rhetoric, but the results are plain to see.
If there is to be a strike, then prep the membership and get on with it.

If not, then quit fronting one and accept the consequences.

From the activities to date, I believe the IAM leadership does not want a strike.
They have had knowledge of and influence over the company's final proposal, and are letting the company take the rap for a proposal they are, however reluctantly, prepared to accept.

Otherwise, why the vote and the no-strike promise?
[post="238210"][/post]​

;) :up: :up: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)