Iberia To Pull Out Of Mia

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
MADRID, July 2 (Reuters) - Spain's dominant airline Iberia will stop channelling its Central American flights through Miami and will instead fly direct to a limited number of destinations, the company said on Friday.

From October, it will run direct flights from Spain to Guatemala and Panama and will suspend another five Central American routes it now serves via Miami, which will in the future be run by associate airlines.

The Spanish airline will continue its daily flight to Miami where passengers can transfer to American Airlines, another oneworld alliance member, for onward U.S. destinations. The cost of operating a hub in Miami has in the past been offset by the local traffic it generated for Iberia. Non-stop flights are now an option after the airline began using long-range Airbus A340 planes.

Another factor, industry sources said, is that customers have complained about the strict U.S. security measures they are subjected to when they have to fly via Miami.

Iberia said last month that it was deepening ties with partner and shareholder British Airways -- another member of the oneworld alliance -- and would share profits on routes between Spain and Britain from next winter, operating there as a single company.

AA already serves the same routes IB is pulling out of:

MIA-PTY / CUN / SAP / SAL / GUA / MGA / SJO

Iberia's timing is funny, in this week's Miami Herald there was an article about abreviated security measures for connecting passenger that were not entering the USA. All Iberia passengers going to Central America were going to an "International Transit Lounge". AA passengers connecting in Miami not entering the USA will do the same.

I 've never understood Iberia's Miami hub and all the Capital in having 5 A319's stationed in Miami permanemtly, that is $250,000,000 in aircraft and all the crews from Spain to man them. Serving Panama and Guatemala with nonstop A340-300 is more efficient and convenient for the passengers.

The same "International transit lounge" also exists at DFW. Not only does it serve Central America-Europe traffic, it also serves Latin America-Japan traffic, which is huge. I've never heard any complaints about security hassles to transiting passengers.

lpbrian said:
The same "International transit lounge" also exists at DFW. Not only does it serve Central America-Europe traffic, it also serves Latin America-Japan traffic, which is huge. I've never heard any complaints about security hassles to transiting passengers.
i do not think the dfw intransit lounge is currently in use. pax. have to clear customs and then make their international connection.

Something else to think about. The U.S. does not allow TWOV (Travelers Without Visas) anymore. So if you do not have a Visa to the U.S. you cannot connect through any U.S. city as before under the TWOV exception. That might be cutting into Iberia’s loads. :huh:

JFK777 said:
Iberia's timing is funny, in this week's Miami Herald there was an article about abreviated security measures for connecting passenger that were not entering the USA. All Iberia passengers going to Central America were going to an "International Transit Lounge". AA passengers connecting in Miami not entering the USA will do the same.

I 've never understood Iberia's Miami hub and all the Capital in having 5 A319's stationed in Miami permanemtly, that is $250,000,000 in aircraft and all the crews from Spain to man them. Serving Panama and Guatemala with nonstop A340-300 is more efficient and convenient for the passengers.
I don't know about the flight deck, but the Flight Attendants for these flights were MIA based F/A's. It seemed like a waste, however, to have 5 planes based in MIA for one flight a day.

Latest posts

Back