Ichan in the news

Dont call me Shirley said:
Likesome monster or ax wielding killer in a horror movie, Icahn keeps popping up again.

Family Dollar and now, Whole Foods.   Why, oh, why?

http://www.benzinga.com/news/14/08/4757057/icahn-rumored-to-be-eyeing-whole-foods

http://nypost.com/2014/07/28/icahn-pockets-200-profit-on-8-5b-family-dollar-sale/

Begone, you vile and loathsome creature, begone...
With him it would take either a silver bullet, or a stake trough his heart!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Don't look now, but he is baaaaaack.
At least the reporter got the "bandit" part right.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/10/02/us-usa-chicago-weather-idINKCN0HR1QA20141002

The legendary investor is making out like a bandit from eBay's decision Tuesday tospinoff PayPal, a move that he's been openly campaigning for since earlier this year.

Exactly how much he'll profit is hard to say, but Icahn owned over 30 million shares of eBay (EBAYTech30)at the end of June, according to a recent SEC filing. The stock rose about $3.90 a share today alone. That's a gain of almost $120 million in just a few hours.

737823 said:
And what exactly does this have to do with American Airlines?

Josh
He ran TWA into the ground which was acquired by American Airlines.

Ever play that game 7 degrees of separation?

Other than that I could not tell you.

TWA was already in the ground when Icahn bought it -- there were years of neglect under Charlie Tillinghast, followed by another ten years of siphoning off of funds to subsidize Ed Smart's diverse portfolio of non-airline companies... That all led to Icahn's arrival.

Instead of re-investing in the airline, Ed Meyer allowed the other Ed to take the cash out of TWA and put it into Hilton International, and also went on a domestic buying spree, snapping up stuff like Denny's, Hardee's, Canteen Corporation.

So, blame Icahn for what he actually did after 1985, but there's little doubt TWA was already on the decline when he showed up. It just wasn't as apparent how bad things were until after someone as critical as Icahn started paying attention to the balance sheet.

I'd be quite content to have a single day's worth of his income.

Reactions: 2 people
Unfortunately Karma never really comes around to these scumbags Icahn much like the others will rake in millions and live til almost 100 while us poor working fools will die an early death often because of actions these SOB's have done. Would love to see them burn in hell for what they have done to the working man. Would love to meet up one day with him or Doug Steenland of NWA fame or Andy Roberts of NWA even King Richard of Delta I would smash them in the face I don't care if I go to jail for it. Problem is I might not stop at just a punch in the face I have such rage thats just below the surface thats ready to come out after what they did to us. I have friends who lost everything, their families, homes and some took their own life. No sir I do not forgive or forget.  

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
He ran TWA into the ground which was acquired by American Airlines.

Ever play that game 7 degrees of separation?

Other than that I could not tell you.
As bad as TWA was USAIR is far worse.

At least with TWA the IAM walked away (after screwing their "members"), this time they are sticking around.

TWA has been a drain on AA and USAIR management is destroying AA as we speak.

Josh

Eoleson, it wasn't the purchase of Hilton, etc, that ran us into the ground.  It was the decision to form Trans World Corporation as a holding company, then spinning us off.  That's what made us ripe to be snatched by Icahn.  You can find blame leading all the way back to Howard Hughes, and probably further, but Icahn bears more of the blame than any other individual.

Nah, I'm still looking at what happened between 1976 and 1985 as the real issue. You had a chairman who saw the airline as just one subsidiary out of many subsidiaries.

It's not Icahn's fault they decided to spin out TWA.

It's also not Icahn's fault that he was brought in to fend off Frank Lorenzo. That one you have to hold the unions accountable for. They were so interested in avoiding a repeat of what happened at CO that they set all of you up for something far worse.

Here's a good article that lays out the love affair the unions had with Icahn:

http://fortune.com/2013/08/18/the-comeuppance-of-carl-icahn-fortune-1986/

The last paragraph sums it all up:

In its 52-year history, with all profits and losses taken into account, the airline has made no money. Zero. It is a tough business to be locked into.
This was before Icahn had even started to try and recoup his investment...

I've often wondered how different the airline world would have been if TW's unions hadn't been successful in fighting off Lorenzo.

Had TWA become part of Texas Air, Lorenzo would have never bothered with Eastern, People Express, or Frontier, and TWA probably wouldn't have bothered with Ozark. Maybe DL wouldn't have gone after Western, AA after AirCal, or US Airways going after Piedmont and PSA.

Without question, there would have been mergers, but they would have looked much, much different.