IDEA....to keep the clock running for flight pay.

missthe727

Senior
Dec 19, 2006
The captain I just flew with told the crew that unless there was a jetway driver he would not pull up to the gate....he will stop short.

He has been waiting WAY TOO LONG for a jet way driver and losing flight pay because the cargo bins are open and the clocks stop.

He now stops short of the jetway until he sees someone that will be there with the jetway so the door can be opened.

This continues to keep the clock running because the bins are not opened. It is not an inconvience to the pax because they would be waiting anyway and we keep the clock ticking to make our money.

Thoughts on this idea ???

Okay! What kinda of thoughts do you want?

Some might say he is robbing the company! (sad arguement after all that has happened to us)
Others will say, hell ya.... Make an extra 5 minutes per segment!!
And then others will say, they never would give that any THOUGHT at ALL!!

No the company is robbing us!!! We are on the plane with passengers on board (for whom we are still responsible) and as soon as the bins are opened we are no longer paid. In times past, the left engine could still be operating while we waited on a jetway operator. The pilots are still operating the jet, the flight attendants are still tending to the passengers, the rampers open the bins and the PAY STOPS! It was not enough to steal our retirement, but the company had to change the clock sensors from the main entrance door to the cargo bins. I bet there is not one work group in the country who would work without being paid. Only pilots and flight attendants are stupid enough to let that get started, but again, we wanted to help the company and they said it was for "on-time performance". Fool me once, shame on you...oh yeah, this bunch has no shame.

No the company is robbing us!!! We are on the plane with passengers on board (for whom we are still responsible) and as soon as the bins are opened we are no longer paid. In times past, the left engine could still be operating while we waited on a jetway operator. The pilots are still operating the jet, the flight attendants are still tending to the passengers, the rampers open the bins and the PAY STOPS! It was not enough to steal our retirement, but the company had to change the clock sensors from the main entrance door to the cargo bins. I bet there is not one work group in the country who would work without being paid. Only pilots and flight attendants are stupid enough to let that get started, but again, we wanted to help the company and they said it was for "on-time performance". Fool me once, shame on you...oh yeah, this bunch has no shame.

Easy now!! I don't disagree.... Its was about what others would think! I couldn't agree more!!
I think we should continue to be paid until the last pax gets off the plane since we are still responsible for there safety, especially the FA's.

I have never understood the boarding/deplaning for free. Flight attendants really work during boarding. Well most do except for the few that like to hide as C on the bigger jets or B in the back brewing coffee as you get bombarded up front. Seriously though, I'm all for it. Keep them babies turning till theres an agent. :up:

We ought to punch a clock like everyone else. Punch it when we show at the airport and punch it when we leave in the evening. That would stop a lot of the crap the company is pulling on us now. If they want us to sit for 3:59 in the middle of a 14 hour day, so be it, we are being paid, not sitting around for free. No need for duty rigs, just punch the clock. If they want to run understaffed, so be it (No offense to the agents, that would get you guys properly staffed instantly). And while we are at it, pay us overtime for working over 8 hours. And how about holidays? But no we have to come up with strange formulas and duty rigs...punch the clock ALPA!!!

Flight crews get paid only when the airplane is traveing under its own power. So when we pull up to a gate and wait for the agent/jetway driver to arrive, open the aircraft door to let the pax off the crew is not being paid. Sometimes coming from a redeye that can take 30 min. or more. Not through any fault of the ground crew. Its due to understaffing by mgmt. I'll be suggesting the, "WAIT FOR THE JETWAY PLAN" on my next trip. GREAT IDEA!! Also, when you've boarded an aircraft and are told there's a gate hold for whatever reason your crew is unpaid until it sits for an hour then we get holding pay at less than our hourly pay. Or if the trips has a 2-3 hour sit period (like said above) the flight crew is NOT being paid. Time clock for me too.

I'm on board. I think it's a great idea.

If I have to be on that gate to marshal it in, the jetway driver should be, too.

If I have to wait for a driver, so does the flight crew. I'm getting paid, but they aren't.

I say, "Show me the driver!"

The pay system has always been flawed imo. The unfair examples could fill many pages. Most disturbing to me is one work group (that is being paid by the heartbeat) elects not to do thier repective job while crew waits unpaid and potentially late for flight home or other obligations.

A couple snags I can see in the "park and wait for agent" idea is a safety issue. 1)Engines running around ramp personnel/equipment has its risk. less time the better!
2)Aircraft may now be blocking another(s) craft from reaching gate/taxing for departure.

FA

1)Engines running around ramp personnel/equipment has its risk. less time the better!
2)Aircraft may now be blocking another(s) craft from reaching gate/taxing for departure.

And it strikes me that by doing what is suggested in this thread, management would get the message more quickly because of 1 and 2.

[quote name='l8rd8r' date='Apr 6 2007, 03:10 PM' Also, when you've boarded an aircraft and are told there's a gate hold for whatever reason your crew is unpaid until it sits for an hour then we get holding pay at less than our hourly pay.

Only the flight attendants get holding pay, pilots don't. I understand flight attendants are responsible for the passengers and should be paid (Not just holding pay, but full pay.) I just did not want the un-informed to misunderstand.

Oh it's a fraction of the flight attendants hourly pay alright. The holding pay is around $7.00 an hour.

:up: Go for it Ill understand :up:

ALLSTRIKE <---- Gets tired of waiting on jetways also.Im always impressed when I fly other airlines and everyone is there to greet the A/C.Should be SOP :up: :up: :up:

A couple snags I can see in the "park and wait for agent" idea is a safety issue. 1)Engines running around ramp personnel/equipment has its risk...

FA

At least ONE engine must run anyway. Until the agent pulls up the jetway, ground power cannot normally be plugged in and engines cannot be shut down. The only way to avoid this is to pull into the gate with the APU running, which the company does not want started until just before the next flight.

We are being forced to comply with "circular definitions" and oxymorons, which is itself an oxymoron as well as a pun.

Latest posts