If we merge with AA and they're not union.............

Lilly

Nov 11, 2008
Ask Velvet Grandinette Hawthorne a question on Facebook's CWA shop stewards and union members US Airlines about merger with AA if their customer service agents are not union. Could a mainline station turn into express station. She stated " Our contract dictates how a station is reduced to an express station. If we merge and AA is not union and the NMB makes us have a new election to determine if we keep representation and were are not successful, the company is free to lay all of us off in any size city and replace us! In that scenario, we would be naked or employees at will. My station in mainline but we have AA Eagle a few counters down. :unsure:

I assume you're talking about agents....

FWIW, I believe the agents at AA are getting ready to have an election - the CWA collected cards and I think that the NMB will be scheduling the election shortly if they haven't already. As far as I know CWA is the only union on the ballot. Depending on the outcome both side may be represented and it would be unlikely that you'd end up unrepresented.

Jim

This NMB decision summarized the history well: http://www.nmb.gov/representation/deter2012/39n039.pdf

Ask Velvet Grandinette Hawthorne a question on Facebook's CWA shop stewards and union members US Airlines about merger with AA if their not union. Could a mainline station turn into express station. She stated " Our contract dictates how a station is reduced to an express station. If we merge and AA is not union and the NMB makes us have a new election to determine if we keep representation and were are not successful, the company is free to lay all of us off in any size city and replace us! In that scenario, we would be naked or employees at will. My station in mainline but we have AA Eagle a few counters down. :unsure:

The information you were given is correct...

NMB + Vote < Representation Election &rarr; work group &rarr; No Union Contact = Employees at Will!

My suggestion to you is assist in the organizing efforts and VOTE!

Reactions: 1 person
Either way, I think that your days in a small station with few if any mainline flts are numbered. I'm sure the hubs and large stations will throw you under the bus if a nice raise is an option for them over your jobs. Fleet did it years ago, and the CWA group lucked out. I'm sure the company will be looking to get rid of decent paying jobs on the inside to save a few bucks with express people.

This NMB decision summarized the history well: http://www.nmb.gov/r...2012/39n039.pdf

Good info AG...

The FAA Reauthorization Act consequently amended the RLA concerning representational elections. I&rsquo;m sure this will not be the first or last legal challenge to the new law. Apparently, the CWA argued retroactivity in this case.

As I see it... we (work groups) have suffered a set-back in organizational efforts as it now takes 50% as opposed to the previous 35% to trigger a representational vote.

It&rsquo;s a much smaller, and held higher hoop to jump through now...

I agree with RB about now is the time to start lobbying the AA agents. Your union I assume is allready heavily involved. The worse case scenario is that the union is decertified and you risk losing all of your current gains. (from the snapback clause in your contract).
As wings pointed out FS at US has a contract which only considers mainline flts. When we merged with US. Our Union thought that it was fair that the east should be exempt from further outsourcing, because they had lost so much before. For FSE in AA supposedly
Doug Parker has offered them security against outsourcing. But that's only because they had the power to fascilitate a merger. Good luck to all CSRs in both US and AA. BF

If we merge and AA is not union and the NMB makes us have a new election to determine if we keep representation and were are not successful, the company is free to lay all of us off in any size city and replace us! In that scenario, we would be naked or employees at will.

More info on the AA union busing agenda
http://apsa6001.org/?cat=9
Horton Dismisses Voting Rights
Justice Department Backs NMB, Election
Election Ball in NMB Court
Agents Deliver List to NMB
Fight Moves from Court to NMB
AMR Goes to Court to Stop Election
If AA and US management gets there way the Passenger Service Agents at a combine airline will be non union. And then again the only work group without representation

The agents at AA are so dissatisfied and the morale is on the floor, I believe their union efforts will be a yes vote for CWA if the mAAnagement ever lets the election happen in BK. If not, I believe there would be enough support between the US and AA agents that if warranted, would re-elect representation. Hopefully the NMB would make the current contract be in effect until such plan is or is not needed and there would not be an "unrepresented" time period. That would be the killer. If it would go through, many "Eagle" stations would come back under a Mainline fold and that would be a win-win for all. I think AA has many stations that are run by vendors or eagle that would classify.