IFE removal and cabin safety

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Not sure if this has been raised before, but what do F/As think about the cabin safety aspect of the decision of US to remove the in flight video system on the domestic fleet?

The cabin safety demo on US is, of course, now done manually. Not only have a number of studies show that people will pay closer attention to video than a live person, but a good cabin safety video also shows actual operation of safety features (lots of them on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer..._type=&aq=f, the "naked ANZ" one being one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mq9HAE62Y). Isn't there a negative impact on cabin safety?

(Idea for side topic: what is your favorite safety video?)

Here is a good one, without body paint. A few years old. Maybe it's because I like the sound of "nosausgangen" :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-G6tx51ChI...3C2&index=0

Camera work is not the best - but interesting video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YkoWLViVRQ...C8&index=36

I hope you are not trying to suggest US is not safe because it does its saftey demo manually. That would suggest SW and all the others that do the safety demo manually unsafe. I have flown many international carriers and I can only think of a handful that use IFE for the saftey demo.

what do F/As think about the cabin safety aspect of the decision of US to remove the in flight video system on the domestic fleet?

There a substantial difference between one briefing method being less effective than another one and a carrier being "unsafe".

Huh? So in your first quote, you are concerned about the safety aspect, and in the second post, you say that it has nothing to do with safety. :blink:

From my past perspective:

The video version of the domestic preflight announcement does contain some extra material and gives better demonstrations of the door operation and flotation equipment equipment.

The live version can have more interaction and it is easier to see who is and who isn't paying attention. The benefit in that can be that if you have a potential emergency situation and need to designate able body assistants ("ABA") or enlist others to potentially assist any situation you have an idea of who listened and who didn't. These ABA's will usually get additional briefings but it can be a determining factor in who is selected by how much they paid attention earlier.

The problem is consistency. WE now have SO many variations of a demo it will make your head spin. They tell us to read verbatim.... but who's verbatim are they reading??? Some FAs have announcement books from the 80s. Or, they have their own "custom" version of a demo. You never know what you're going to get. It just looks ridiculous. Especially when you're out at the exit row, not knowing what the FA will read.

Just try being an extra on a 4-day 321 trip. :blink:

I really miss boarding music ..... It does calm the savage beast

Count me as one! I read from the 2 year old book I have. The new PHX version is grammatically incorrect and flows like a cobblestone street! It's too wordy, downright confusing and messy. Turn off your "TV" "RADIO'S or ANY DEVICE TRANSMITTING A SIGNAL"...WTF.....who the heck has a TV turned on? Maybe in Yuma or Tempe AZ Willard has his portable TV out but get real!
No way will I read that sloppy garbage put out by inflight systems. Nope you get out there and read it Tricia. Come out....come here....yes out in the isle away from your cubical. Here Kitty Kitty Kitty....please. I would be embarrassed for them to stand up and read half of what they wrote.

The OP states that more people pay attention to a video, but I would submit that more people probably pay attention on WN to catch all the funny jokes! :lol:

I really miss boarding music ..... It does calm the savage beast
at DAL on pre-merger NW aircraft (I am pre-merger NW) on the video equipped domestic aircraft we play DAL boarding music that coincides with a still screen image on the video monitors that periodically changes from "welcome aboard" to "a city destination" to an "advertisement" and passengers are fixated on that and sometimes I notice they are humming the tunes played on the boarding music/video monitors. (walking through and closing bins I have noticed that time after time)

for some reason the whole boarding process goes smoother and seems calmer.

I am really glad they brought it back, it seems to make a difference. (it really does)

and I have noticed every single passenger watches the safety video demo featuring "Deltalina".

(every single one)

If you want to see a wordy safety announcement, talk to your peers at DL/NW. Both the safety video and its manual version (which NW has to use since almost none of NW's planes have IFE) is EXTREMELY long and redundant. NW's old version pre-merger was short and to the point; DL's goes on and on and people stop paying attention.

As a "Pre-Merger" NWA FA, I agree with your assessment. Our announcements (prior to the merger with Delta) were brief and to the point. They had to be, since taxi-time at many of our stations is short.

Delta revised our announcements a few months ago and they do ramble on. The order of necessary items that must be mentioned in a safety briefing makes no sense (i.e the boarding card is the very last thing to be mentioned). Our previous announcements at NWA made reference to the briefing card right away so that passengers could follow along with the card.

As it stands right now, we are often ready for take-off before we are done with our safety checks and buckled in our jumpseats because the announcements take so much additional time to read. I sometimes wonder how the FAA could even approve of this revision. It has been brought to the attention of management, but so far our suggestions have gone unheard.