Immediate termination

That would be something I mentioned here. I was told that if we cannot show up to work due to non-rev travel (ie booked flight, etc.. say from Hawaii), that it's grounds for immediate termination. It is absolutely correct. If you need further clarification, contact HR. :)

Section 30-8 in the East contract clearly provides for 2 Unable to Commutes a year provided you leave yourself a backup. I would trust Tempe reads this section and would never think of terminating someone for one Unable to Commute.

Section 30-8 in the East contract clearly provides for 2 Unable to Commutes a year provided you leave yourself a backup. I would trust Tempe reads this section and would never think of terminating someone for one Unable to Commute.

I've seen this in action. I was an MDA ramper at the time, flying from PHL-DCA. Saw an MDA pilot I knew at the gate commuting down to pick up a trip to ORD. He tried for the 7:40 on an RJ, but he could't get on. Our flight was on an E-170. Wide open with plenty of seats available, but it was cancelled for mechanical reasons after two hours of sitting around. He called crew scheduling, told them of the situation, and went home! He actually knew the guy sitting reserve down in DCA that would be happy he would actually get to do something that day.

its not the companies problem that someone decides not to live in their particular city of work.you're supposed to be at your assigned duty area when scheduled.it makes it difficult to run an operation with these type problems popping up.how else should they respond?

Your right. It is not the companies problem. After a person has been extended the 2 unable to commutes per the contract, they are out of rope slack and it becomes a dependability event. The mainline AFA East contract provides for these 2 Unable to Commute events and will be upheld. No one will be fired for one unable to commute.

Your right. It is not the companies problem. After a person has been extended the 2 unable to commutes per the contract, they are out of rope slack and it becomes a dependability event. The mainline AFA East contract provides for these 2 Unable to Commute events and will be upheld. No one will be fired for one unable to commute.

You have to list yourself as a "commuter" with the company.

Its difficult to live in base as the company is still in displacing iand relocation mode. Some folks have been in a base for at least a decade and find themselves displaced.

The company should be patient on commuters until the operation is more stable. That's what I would be ranting about if I were a union rep.

No one should be disciplined for making every attempt to commute.

I thought that's what sick days were for! I tried to get on two flights, now I feel REALLY sick to my stomach... ;)

its not the companies problem that someone decides not to live in their particular city of work.you're supposed to be at your assigned duty area when scheduled.it makes it difficult to run an operation with these type problems popping up.how else should they respond?

sky high states: "Bases"
LAX
SFO
SAN
ORF
SYR
MIA
GSP
BWI...........here's some prior "cities of work". It makes it difficult to run YOUR LIFE when base after base gets closed.

sky high states: "Bases"
LAX
SFO
SAN
ORF
SYR
MIA
GSP
BWI...........here's some prior "cities of work". It makes it difficult to run YOUR LIFE when base after base gets closed.

Been there done that. Based in GSO, MIA and BWI. All closed plus furloughed twice. Yeah I'm going to move my family for this screwed up company. There are literally thousands of other employees that have lived through the same instability.

Not talking about commuting due to work, we're talking about NON-REV travel.

Those "Unable to Commutes" sound like they may be for pilots or FAs.

If you call in sick for work yet show up for a fun flight somewhere on the same day, you will be terminated. As a gate supervisor in PHX I once had a PHX gate employee call in sick yet show up and board a flight to California. One of my agents told me that so-and-so was on the flight and had been supposed to work that day. Two of us (supervisors) went to the aircraft, pulled the employee off the flight and terminated that person immediately. (BTW, the flight was also within the time of the day that person was supposed to be working.)

Commuters and especially persons on an OJI can be handled somewhat differently then the scenario I described.

Many of the commuters these days made the descision to commute a long time ago and not always by choice. A lot were caught up in the downsizing and didn't have much choice at all. The combination of high load factors and outsource flying have made commuting hazardous. Add this HR response and it justifies in my mind whatever commuters have to do to cover themselves...sick leave or otherwise.

Just my opinion

A320 Driver B)