Independent Study On Swa's Seattle Move

corl737

Veteran
Jun 13, 2005
This article from the September 1, 2005 USA Today's "in the sky" on line edition:

'Independent study' weighs in on SWA's Seattle move: Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (Sea-Tac) "does not face economic disaster" if Southwest is allowed to bolt for the smaller Boeing Field. That's according to a 79-page "independent study" that claims to examine the pros and cons of Southwest's airport-switching proposal without taking sides. Washington-based aviation industry consultant Scott Hamilton says he drafted his own study after growing tired of hearing the opposing public relations spins from each side of the debate. Southwest says switching airports would not only benefit it, but would create jobs and revenue while lowering airfares for greater Seattle. Opponents say the switch is not only in bad faith by the airline, but would deal a damaging financial blow to Sea-Tac, cause the city to pay for new infrastructure and disrupt neighborhoods surrounding Boeing Field.

"Somebody needed to stand and challenge it who didn't have a vested interest in it," Hamilton tells the King County Journal. "Nobody paid for it. I just put my own time into it." Along his other findings, Hamilton says Alaska Airlines would "stand to lose more" than it would gain by also switching some of its flights to Boeing field, which Alaska has said it would do if Southwest is allowed to move. He also says Southwest's stated goal of moving to Boeing by 2009 is "unlikely to be achieved." Overall, Southwest says the report is "encouraging," while Alaska questions the data Hamilton used. And, for those of you wondering, Hamilton's report may not be completely altruistic. Copies of his report can be purchased through his company's Web site, www.leeham.net. Hard copies run $195, while electronic versions are available for $5,000. Posted 8:35 a.m.

jimntx said:
And, how long has Mr. Hamilton been on retainer with SWA?
[post="295863"][/post]​

Why don't you contact him and find out if you're so sure he's in SWA's pocket. I'll even give you his contact information:

Mr. Scott Hamilton
Leeham Co LLC
704 228th Ave. NE #714
Sammamish, WA 98074

:rolleyes:

Hamilton operates Leeham Company, LLC, a firm that performs "Competitive Intelligence" studies for many different facets of the aviation industry. Take a look at their website listing the numerous studies they have undertaken. While some have been funded by other companies, most were performed for the simple purpose of cutting through all the propaganda the competing sides were spewing.

There is a free 10-page executive summary of the Boeing Field proposal available for download from their "Reports/Studies" web page. (The complete report costs $195, probably more than any of us on this board want to pay for the purpose of forum banter. However, if anyone does get a copy I'd sure be interested in reading it!)

There are still honest people in the world that do projects solely for the purpose of discovering truth and promoting it's distribution (even in an entrepreneurial way).

Who are you trying to convince? :unsure: Mr. Hamilton is probably about as
"neutral" as you or I. Would you have posted this "independent" study if the results had said that irreparable harm would come to Sea-Tac through a SW move to Boeing Field?

jimntx said:
And, how long has Mr. Hamilton been on retainer with SWA?
[post="295863"][/post]​

Watch it, Jimbo. False accusations can generate legal actions. The report stated as clearly as possible (had you bothered to read the executive summary) that there are no financial ties whatsoever to WN, AS, King County, the Port or anyone else with an interest in the issue. That's why the full report is offered only for sale.

Scott Hamilton

jimntx said:
Would you have posted this "independent" study if the results had said that irreparable harm would come to Sea-Tac through a SW move to Boeing Field?
[post="295893"][/post]​

Yes, I would have posted the information because unlike emotionally-charged, carefully-crafted press releases we usually see this is a more enlightened look at the issue. I'm interested in knowing what the real story is. The media almost always has an agenda. Similar to the Wright Amendment repeal efforts in Dallas, there will be adverse short-term effects for the dominate airport. However, in both cases the severity is being so over-dramatized that it's hard to discern what is credible information.

Reading the executive summary of Mr. Hamilton's report was a breath of fresh air. Note that he doesn't make a recommendation for or against the proposed move but rather presents the information as he has analyzed it. He also states that it is not a comprehensive report and some areas will need to be more fully explored. I appreciate his making the effort to put the study together.

Leeham said:
Watch it, Jimbo. False accusations can generate legal actions. The report stated as clearly as possible (had you bothered to read the executive summary) that there are no financial ties whatsoever to WN, AS, King County, the Port or anyone else with an interest in the issue. That's why the full report is offered only for sale.

Scott Hamilton
[post="295963"][/post]​
ahhh, spoken like a true attorney,always ready to litigate."Lighten up Francis"

mr peabody said:
ahhh, spoken like a true attorney,always ready to litigate."Lighten up Francis"
[post="296070"][/post]​
Actually I thought Mr. Hamilton's response was a reasonable and direct to the point. Considering he makes his living based on his credibility as an independent researcher within the aviation industry, any accusation of impropriety offered without supporting evidence is libel and possibly a chargable offense. From my perspective Mr. Hamilton's "shot across the bow" was warranted and a good look at the seriousness of making such statements. It could have been avoided, however, if the poster had indicated that the viewpoint was an opinion vs. stating so it could be misintrepreted as being a fact.

In the online world, write every message as though it will be read on the network nightly news. It just might. (I'm nowhere perfect in this regard but I try to keep it in mind!)

Leeham said:

Scott Hamilton
[post="295963"][/post]​

A little thin skinned for this board...threatening legal action with the first post. Thought the original comment was rather benign myself.

Latest posts