iPads being distributed to pilots now

nycbusdriver

Veteran
Dec 19, 2002
The Capital of the World
Visit site
The company says they won't track us.  Maybe that's true; maybe not.  At any rate, it might be wise to make the iPad invisible to the company and any snoopy government agency when not on duty.

Here's a storage bag (large size) that's a Faraday cage and (theoretically) will block any signals.  $136 shipped via Priority Mail.  Ordered mine today.

http://www.bluelinegear.com/product/LokSak-Shieldsak

Call me paranoid, but that doesn't mean "they" are NOT out to get us.

Reactions: 2 people
Just turn it off.
Then turn off your cell phone,
Do not use your credit cards.
Do not use your ATM card.
Do not use the Internet.
Do not use your toll transponder.

We are so concerned on specific items tracking us but yet we overlook the ones we use everyday.

Monitored home alarm system.
Smart electric home power meters.
Automobile monitor system (OnStar)

The list goes on and on.

1AA said:
Just turn it off.
Then turn off your cell phone,
Do not use your credit cards.
Do not use your ATM card.
Do not use the Internet.
Do not use your toll transponder.

We are so concerned on specific items tracking us but yet we overlook the ones we use everyday.

Monitored home alarm system.
Smart electric home power meters.
Automobile monitor system (OnStar)

The list goes on and on.

Your simplistic mind obviously doesn't understand how these items actually work.  (You can't "turn off" an iPad without breaking open the case and removing the battery.  Good luck on accomplishing that without destroying it.)

I have not the time or temperament to give you lessons on living in the 21st century.

One HUGE difference, though, is that these iPads are COMPANY PROPERTY, and not personal property.

nycbusdriver said:
The company says they won't track us.  Maybe that's true; maybe not.  At any rate, it might be wise to make the iPad invisible to the company and any snoopy government agency when not on duty.

Here's a storage bag (large size) that's a Faraday cage and (theoretically) will block any signals.  $136 shipped via Priority Mail.  Ordered mine today.

http://www.bluelinegear.com/product/LokSak-Shieldsak

Call me paranoid, but that doesn't mean "they" are NOT out to get us.
It must be a surreal experience for the US employees to receive technology like this, right? Will the F/As receive galaxy tablets?

Josh

737823 said:
It must be a surreal experience for the US employees to receive technology like this, right? Will the F/As receive galaxy tablets?

Josh

Not really a surreal experience.  Every airplane we fly is computerized to some degree, the Airbuses and Embraers more than the Boeings, and a lot more than the few remaining 737s.  I have actually had to "cold boot" Fokker 100s and Airbuses on rare occasion (on the ground, of course.)  I recently sat (as a passenger) through an Embraer cold boot.

Aside from our 20+ year experience with "technology like this" while at work, we have pretty much become accustomed to "technology like this" in our off duty hours.  

Do you really think this is our first experience with iPads, or equivalent tablets, smart phones, and computers?  I bought my first computer in 1980, and have been "online" since 1986 (The Source, which then became Compuserve.)

Surreal?  Hardly.

Also, as I have been told by several FAs, they are slated to get tablets also, but not iPads.  

vsi0 said:
In all seriousness if the iPad is in airplane mode how can it be tracked?

In airplane mode, the device stops any outbound radiation of its own making.  It does not shut down the device's capability of receiving radio signals, some of which can clandestinely activate features, like GPS position, and "wipe-clean" commands.

There are anecdotal stories of hackers being able to turn on your camera and monitor the scene without you knowing it.  Is it urban myth?  Who knows?  But why take any chances?  

Tried the "help" email the company set up for issues arising from this new program.  Why am I not surprised that emails to that mailbox get kicked by the server.

So, I tried calling the Support Desk number (in the same handouts) given to pilots.  Lo and behold, the support techs have NO IDEA about any of this, except a vague notion that "pilots are getting iPads."

Nice job!

Maybe the FAA Hotline would be more responsive?

nycbusdriver said:

In airplane mode, the device stops any outbound radiation of its own making.  It does not shut down the device's capability of receiving radio signals, some of which can clandestinely activate features, like GPS position, and "wipe-clean" commands.

There are anecdotal stories of hackers being able to turn on your camera and monitor the scene without you knowing it.  Is it urban myth?  Who knows?  But why take any chances?  

Airplane mode turns off all radio receivers and transmitters on iOS devices.  You can override wifi and bluetooth when in airplane mode, but default is off. In other words, the override is use specific. If you override wifi and or bluetooth in airplane mode, when you exit airplane mode and then later return to airplane mode the override selection must be made again.

Location services require active wifi or cellular network communications to function, (a duplex operation both transmit and receive) and location services are required to locate and send wipe clean commands to the device.  If the network does not know the location of the device because it is in airplane mode, only last known location would be stored.  So hypothetically, what portion of the available network broadband spectrum do you think any carrier would permit a corporate user to use for a continuous nationwide broadcast to gather clandestine "intelligence" on it's employee's? 

Conspiracy theories aside, you may don your tinfoil hat at any time, there is no way to clandestinely activate features on a standard iOS operating system in airplane mode.  The company may install specific applications that have root access to change the behavior of the iOS, but the solution to that is to power off the device. Once the device is powered down there is no ability to "clandestinely activate features".  

If you wish to do inappropriate behaviors or activities and shield that from the prying eyes of your employer, then to not take the device with you when doing so.  Simple.

Reactions: 1 person
usabusdriver said:

Airplane mode turns off all radio receivers and transmitters on iOS devices.  You can override wifi and bluetooth when in airplane mode, but default is off. In other words, the override is use specific. If you override wifi and or bluetooth in airplane mode, when you exit airplane mode and then later return to airplane mode the override selection must be made again.

Location services require active wifi or cellular network communications to function, (a duplex operation both transmit and receive) and location services are required to locate and send wipe clean commands to the device.  If the network does not know the location of the device because it is in airplane mode, only last known location would be stored.  So hypothetically, what portion of the available network broadband spectrum do you think any carrier would permit a corporate user to use for a continuous nationwide broadcast to gather clandestine "intelligence" on it's employee's? 

Conspiracy theories aside, you may don your tinfoil hat at any time, there is no way to clandestinely activate features on a standard iOS operating system in airplane mode.  The company may install specific applications that have root access to change the behavior of the iOS, but the solution to that is to power off the device. Once the device is powered down there is no ability to "clandestinely activate features".  

If you wish to do inappropriate behaviors or activities and shield that from the prying eyes of your employer, then to not take the device with you when doing so.  Simple.

Your wrong on the receivers.  Only removing the battery will totally disable them.

The iPad is company property, and will remain on company property at all times.  I have little choice but to take it along on overnights, and the Faraday bag will be used for those occasions.  

Reactions: 4 people
Any specs on these iPads yet?  Are these wi-fi only?  If so, are they giving us a VPN connection to use, or do they expect us to use Starbuck's public wi-fi?  Essentially, I'm viewing these as a lighter version of the old cinder block cases and nothing else--lest one gets tracked, hacked, or even sacked by using it as a personal electronic device.

nycbusdriver said:
Not really a surreal experience.  Every airplane we fly is computerized to some degree, the Airbuses and Embraers more than the Boeings, and a lot more than the few remaining 737s.  I have actually had to "cold boot" Fokker 100s and Airbuses on rare occasion (on the ground, of course.)  I recently sat (as a passenger) through an Embraer cold boot.

Aside from our 20+ year experience with "technology like this" while at work, we have pretty much become accustomed to "technology like this" in our off duty hours.  

Do you really think this is our first experience with iPads, or equivalent tablets, smart phones, and computers?  I bought my first computer in 1980, and have been "online" since 1986 (The Source, which then became Compuserve.)

Surreal?  Hardly.

Also, as I have been told by several FAs, they are slated to get tablets also, but not iPads.
I'm not talking about the technology itself.

Surreal in the sense that your employer is now willing/able to provide timely technology to use in the workplace.

Josh

Latest posts