Iron Maiden's plane collides with truck

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
Iron Maiden's personal Boeing 747 collided with a tow truck Saturday at an airport in Chile, causing major damage to the aircraft and injuring two airport workers on the ground, the band said.

The plane, dubbed Ed Force One, was tethered to a truck at the Santiago International Airport and was being moved to be refueled and prepped for the next flight.

"On moving, the steering pin that is part of the mechanism that connects the ground tug to the aircraft seemingly fell out," the heavy metal band posted on its website. "On making a turn the aircraft had no steering and collided with the ground tug, badly damaging the undercarriage, two of the aircraft's engines and injuring two ground tug operators."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/12/world/iron-maiden-plane-damaged-irpt/index.html

Hope the ground employees make a full recovery - that's a lot of damage to the engines and underside of the plane.

That's a band that flies in style. Perhaps that's the future for some of the existing 744s out there after UA and DL retire theirs; they can be chartered by rock bands for world tours. :D

Reactions: 2 people
Hope the ground employees make a full recovery - that's a lot of damage to the engines and underside of the plane.

That's a band that flies in style. Perhaps that's the future for some of the existing 744s out there after UA and DL retire theirs; they can be chartered by rock bands for world tours. :D
Iron Maiden is a bit different than most groups that charter aircraft as lead singer Bruce Dickinson actually flies the aircraft!

Article:

Watch Iron Maidens Bruce Dickinson Land Ed Force One in Florida

After taking off from Cardiff, Wales on Thursday, Ed Force One, Iron Maidens Boeing 747 piloted by singer Bruce Dickinson arrived in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., yesterday.

It was his first time in charge of a 747 after having received a considerable amount of training in simulations. It was quite the experience for Dickinson, who cheerfully told 98.7 the Gater upon landing, It was excellent. Nine hours across the pond and my first landing in a 747. So, hey, whats not to love?

From 2008-11, Dickinson had flown a 757 for Iron Maidens jet, but he said that the production theyre taking with them on the Book of Souls world tour requires the larger 747.

Dickinson expects that, by the end of the tour, he will have logged about 150 flight hours on the 747.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/iron-maiden-ed-force-one-land/

Reactions: 1 person
So which pin supposedly "fell out?" The bypass and pin on the tug itself are both inserted from the top down, so they would have to fall up to come out...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=86URGgqONvA

One of my favorites of all time. I love the bass runs. I still have all of their (older) albums on vinyl. Right next my Judas Preist, Sabbath, Dio, etc.

Reactions: 2 people
One of my favorites of all time. I love the bass runs. I still have all of their (older) albums on vinyl. Right next my Judas Preist, Sabbath, Dio, etc.
[/quote]

In the 1980's and 1990's I couldn't afford to go to every concert I wanted to. So if I already had seen a band in concert I would rationalize I had seen them already I would catch them some other time. Except for Ronnie James Dio. Every time he toured I went. Sabbath and Rainbow were at their best with Dio at the lead.