Is AA keeeping American Eagle?

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
American signs deal to use Republic Airways jets

In this article it states that AA has signed an agreement with Republic to operate the new aircraft under the American Eagle co. What ever happend to AA wanting to rid of the Eagle brand? Is Eagle still up for sale? Unless I missed an announcement that AA was keeping Eagle, at least this article is implying that they are keeping Eagle, at least for 15 more years anyway.

In this article it states that AA has signed an agreement with Republic to operate the new aircraft under the American Eagle co. What ever happend to AA wanting to rid of the Eagle brand? Is Eagle still up for sale? Unless I missed an announcement that AA was keeping Eagle, at least this article is implying that they are keeping Eagle, at least for 15 more years anyway.

Just because they spin off the Eagle operation...doesn't necessarily mean they spin off the Eagle name and/or brand.

What is interesting is that they called the Republic service "American Eagle", rather than "American Connection". Is the Connection brand going away?

....Is Eagle still up for sale? Unless I missed an announcement that AA was keeping Eagle, at least this article is implying that they are keeping Eagle, at least for 15 more years anyway.

With my fortune teller's hat on...I'm going to predict that AMR will continue to own a regional operation although smaller than today's Eagle. AMR's goal from the beginning was to allow for competition among regional carriers to keep costs low. However, I'm guessing they'll eventually see what Delta has noticed, that the consolidation in the regional carriers has drastically reduced competition...as evidenced by Delta's decision to own Pinnacle.

I wonder whether AA will spin off Eagle now that Eagle's costs have been thru the bankruptcy wringer. In any case, this is AA contracting with Republic for feed that will remain whether or not AA continues to own American Eagle.

Just because they spin off the Eagle operation...doesn't necessarily mean they spin off the Eagle name and/or brand.

What is interesting is that they called the Republic service "American Eagle", rather than "American Connection". Is the Connection brand going away?

A few weeks ago, AA announced that it was retiring the American Connection brand and from now on, all regional flying, no matter who flies it, will be branded "American Eagle."

If Eagle the airline (MQ) is spun off, it will probably get a name change first - maybe back to one of its component airlines like Simmons or Flagship or Wings West. Or maybe something catchier.

If I remember correctly, the name "American Connection" arose when AA acquired TWA's assets and also assumed the contracts for regional flying at STL by Great Lakes and some other operators. American Eagle on the planes meant the wholly-owned and "Connection" was used by third party contractors. Makes sense to unify the brand.

I'm not convinced that MQ will be spun off. Instead, MQ will get some new 76 seaters and other operators will contract to fly some other 76 seaters. Diversification is probably a good idea and owning some of the feed may be a good idea.

Correct. The brand and the airline are mutually exclusive. For now.

As far as I know, Eagle is still for sale, but nobody is taking it any more seriously than the fact that Republic is also trying to sell Frontier.