Is Delta handing US the Shuttle market?

UPNAWAY

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
DALLAS
Delta moves to smaller planes for N.Y.-D.C. shuttle: Embraer jets carrying 76 passengers will soon replace the 142-passenger MD-88s operated by Delta Shuttle on its New York-Washington route. The company plans to convert 50% of its flights to the smaller E-175 aircraft by Jan. 5, and 100% by the end of March. Delta said the smaller aircraft will better match reduced demand on the route. AviationWeek.com (12/12)

Most Shuttle flights are half empty.

Looks like DL will let US corner the market on those empty seats.

Exactly; I've always thought that US would put E190s on the routes (much like PHL-BOS has become) and utilize the A319s on longer routes.

Both Shuttle brands have really lost their identity over the years, for obvious reasons, and are really nothing to write home about anymore.

The DL E175s (unlike US) have 12F seats, so there's no disadvantage there. The ONLY downside to loyal DL fliers is that DL Connection will not have Wifi capabilities (not that US has that anyways), so businessman wanting to pay $9.95 for 30 minutes of internet won't have that option.

In short, no - as long as Shuttle America keeps their standards up and it seems like about every other airline police's their contract carriers better than US.

The DL Shuttle will still have F/C and this week they're starting to offer Wi-Fi access on the first 5 planes (mainline) flying Shuttle routes.

The E-family isn't your grandfather's "Barbie Jet" either.

Jim

Makes me wonder if there is enough room for two DCA-NYC air shuttle airlines these days, especially when you also consider that Amtrak high speed trains can get you to downtown NYC from DC in under 3 hours and without the hassle of TSA searches, liquids ban, etc.

I'm surprised either US or DL has not reallocated some or all of the slots used for the shuttle to other markets. All we need today is one shuttle flying standard 120-seat or so aircraft, with perhaps extra sections between 7-9 a.m. and 5-7 p.m. Acela is very nice and relatively quick, so I have no doubt people have switched to Amtrak and will never go back to flying.

Makes me wonder if there is enough room for two DCA-NYC air shuttle airlines these days, especially when you also consider that Amtrak high speed trains can get you to downtown NYC from DC in under 3 hours and without the hassle of TSA searches, liquids ban, etc.
I don't think that there ever was enough "room" for 2 airlines to operate the Shuttle. Just another competitive move to see who will blink first. I can't imagine any 2 city pairs that would require a flight every 1/2 hour all day long to begin with. I know that EA had the original one, and PA was awarded the other one to make someone happy at a later date. I seem to think that the PA shuttle came about as a result of the CO/PE/NY/TI combination. I recall that PE had a bunch of former BN 727's, and I had noticed the A/C that PA operated on the Shuttle still retained the BN/PE registrations for a while. I still remember when EA ran a Shuttle out of EWR using the Electra's....

People predicted the demise of the airline shuttles when the Acela rolled out. Now, almost 10 years later (and a few Acela press nightmares), we are down to 2 shuttles (AA used to fly it, too). Surprised it took this long. Most people I know take Amtrak between NY-DC and some take it from NY to BOS, but more fly. The Acela still is a bit long on that route, and unpredictable with the speed restrictions until it gets North of New Haven.

I still think US has the market and I thought that the shuttle was a huge money maker at one point. Is that still the case, relative to other domestic routes?

I don't think that there ever was enough "room" for 2 airlines to operate the Shuttle. Just another competitive move to see who will blink first. I can't imagine any 2 city pairs that would require a flight every 1/2 hour all day long to begin with. I know that EA had the original one, and PA was awarded the other one to make someone happy at a later date. I seem to think that the PA shuttle came about as a result of the CO/PE/NY/TI combination. I recall that PE had a bunch of former BN 727's, and I had noticed the A/C that PA operated on the Shuttle still retained the BN/PE registrations for a while. I still remember when EA ran a Shuttle out of EWR using the Electra's....

Plenty of city pairs have more than one airline flying non-stop several times a day (e.g., Dallas-Houston on AA, CO and WN). The DC-NY-Boston Shuttle is the only one that will roll out an extra section when demand warrants, and that's only because the rush hour profit is huge.

The DC-NY-Boston Shuttle is the only one that will roll out an extra section when demand warrants, and that's only because the rush hour profit is huge.

US stopped doing that several years ago, other than a scheduled 0730 BOS-LGA between the regular 0700 and 0800 Shuttles.

The old EA Shuttle would have several standby crews and aircraft in each base to protect the Shuttle schedule, and would roll out another aircraft if a Shuttle flight was oversold.

By the time US took over the US Shuttle, they were down to one standby crew and a/c in each base, and that was just for protection (as when the schedule got far behind due to weather, or a mechanical). But even that is gone now.

Now, if your Shuttle flight is oversold, or the plane breaks, you'll just have to wait an hour for the next one.

On US, that is.

Now, if your Shuttle flight is oversold, or the plane breaks, you'll just have to wait an hour for the next one.

On US, that is.

Assuming there are enough seats on the next one.

I'm not sure how the fares compare. But if I had to travel to/from Manhattan to/from downtown DC or downtown Boston, there is no way I would take an airplane and have to put up with all the peripheral B.S.

I would take the Acela. In general, Amtrak is no prize. But they do a nice job with the Acela service these days, and they rarely have to deice, hold for traffic saturation, or get vectored for weather avoidance.

Assuming there are enough seats on the next one.

I'm not sure how the fares compare. But if I had to travel to/from Manhattan to/from downtown DC or downtown Boston, there is no way I would take an airplane and have to put up with all the peripheral B.S.

I would take the Acela. In general, Amtrak is no prize. But they do a nice job with the Acela service these days, and they rarely have to deice, hold for traffic saturation, or get vectored for weather avoidance.

DCA-BOS can be a stretch on the drain. BOS-Manhattan and DCA-Manhattan are no-brainers--train it.

Latest posts