Is it just me?

MCI transplant

Veteran
Jun 4, 2003
Last week I got a strange phone call from someone who claimed to be a representative of the Teamsters Union. When I asked him how he got my home phone number, and did he realize I was retired? All I got was a silence, and "sorry to bother you," followed by a click!------- I was just wondering if anyother retirees have got simular calls?

Last week I got a strange phone call from someone who claimed to be a representative of the Teamsters Union. When I asked him how he got my home phone number, and did he realize I was retired? All I got was a silence, and "sorry to bother you," followed by a click!------- I was just wondering if anyother retirees have got simular calls?

I would be willing to bet your name has now been added to the list for the teamsters. They have already been proven forgeries and fraudulent card collectors. Now that they have verified that your retired, maybe your name was added to the list to help boost their numbers at the last minute. You may want to look into it.

And with the inevitable accusations and lawsuits that will follow from the current card drives among AMFA and IBT at AA, does anyone seriously doubt the need for AA to secure lawyers to represent its interests?

And with the inevitable accusations and lawsuits that will follow from the current card drives among AMFA and IBT at AA, does anyone seriously doubt the need for AA to secure lawyers to represent its interests?
I see your point, but why not just allow the election? According to Federal Law we have the right to choose representation without company interference. Last time all AA did was try to prevent the election, just as they did the Agents.

I believe that AA will allow the election. This isn't Carty's AA. It's not Arpey's AA. And it's not Horton's AA. AA belongs to the unsecured creditors, and the UCC wants to see AA avoid any liability connected with what will certainly be a hotly contested, rancor-filled campaign by the impotent, worthless and corrupt TWU, the proven corrupt liars at the IBT and the white-hat AMFA.

The point I was making was that among all of the known areas of expertise of AA's mechanics (at diagnosing, maintaining and fixing airplanes), there's one area where AA's mechanics as a group have almost no expertise: When it makes sense for a bankrupt $25 billion company to hire lawyers to cover AA's ass. In the previous thread, mechanic after mechanic demonstrated their ignorance for the whole world to see. You guys are experts at the mechanic part and some of you may be experts at the union organizing and leading part. But as a group, you don't know jack $%#@ about when public companies need to hire lawyers. The good news is that you're not forming your own independent union (where that ignorance might come back to bite you), as others in AMFA are knowledgable about when to hire counsel.

Despite the ignorant posts to the contrary, AA isn't seeking to hire lawyers so it can prevent an election. AA's execs and the UCC want a law firm on the hook in case someone successfully sues after the election and claims that AA did something wrong. Whoever doesn't win is likely to scream bloody murder and sue. The loser(s) will probably claim that certain actions by AA employees are to blame, and if AA's execs can point to legal advice to support everything AA did concerning the election, that could end up with the lawyers on the hook. Lawyers who give bad advice that causes liability for their clients are liable for malpractice. Lawyers don't like paying huge damage claims, and thus are likely to give AA advice that doesn't result in any liability.

I don't expect people who have never been to law school and have never run a public company to know all that right out of the box. My guess is that the only time most AA mechanics deal with lawyers is in divorce, estates or defense of minor misdemeanors. But when mechanics opine on how crooked it is that AA is hiring lawyers, that looks as foolish as lawyers giving their opinion on how to fix an airplane (your area of expertise).

Reactions: 2 people
I believe that AA will allow the election. This isn't Carty's AA. It's not Arpey's AA. And it's not Horton's AA. AA belongs to the unsecured creditors, and the UCC wants to see AA avoid any liability connected with what will certainly be a hotly contested, rancor-filled campaign by the impotent, worthless and corrupt TWU, the proven corrupt liars at the IBT and the white-hat AMFA.

The point I was making was that among all of the known areas of expertise of AA's mechanics (at diagnosing, maintaining and fixing airplanes), there's one area where AA's mechanics as a group have almost no expertise: When it makes sense for a bankrupt $25 billion company to hire lawyers to cover AA's ass. In the previous thread, mechanic after mechanic demonstrated their ignorance for the whole world to see. You guys are experts at the mechanic part and some of you may be experts at the union organizing and leading part. But as a group, you don't know jack $%#@ about when public companies need to hire lawyers. The good news is that you're not forming your own independent union (where that ignorance might come back to bite you), as others in AMFA are knowledgable about when to hire counsel.

Despite the ignorant posts to the contrary, AA isn't seeking to hire lawyers so it can prevent an election. AA's execs and the UCC want a law firm on the hook in case someone successfully sues after the election and claims that AA did something wrong. Whoever doesn't win is likely to scream bloody murder and sue. The loser(s) will probably claim that certain actions by AA employees are to blame, and if AA's execs can point to legal advice to support everything AA did concerning the election, that could end up with the lawyers on the hook. Lawyers who give bad advice that causes liability for their clients are liable for malpractice. Lawyers don't like paying huge damage claims, and thus are likely to give AA advice that doesn't result in any liability.

I don't expect people who have never been to law school and have never run a public company to know all that right out of the box. My guess is that the only time most AA mechanics deal with lawyers is in divorce, estates or defense of minor misdemeanors. But when mechanics opine on how crooked it is that AA is hiring lawyers, that looks as foolish as lawyers giving their opinion on how to fix an airplane (your area of expertise).
Nice post, thanks.

I would be willing to bet your name has now been added to the list for the teamsters. They have already been proven forgeries and fraudulent card collectors. Now that they have verified that your retired, maybe your name was added to the list to help boost their numbers at the last minute. You may want to look into it.
No,swamt! If they called me, you know they have called others!------- You've got more to gain, or lose by looking into it than I do! I'm on the outside, looking in, remember?

Unless of course the company hires a law firm thats been involved in union avoidance schemes. You don't have to be an expert in Law to figure out when someone walks into a Divorce Lawyers office that there is a good chance they are looking to get a divorce. Don't know if thats the case, I didn't take all that much interest in the thread to look it up but with AA's history of interference in these matters its not unreasonable for us to be suspicious despite your cover story.

AA will "allow" the election? So you are saying AA should have an option here?

If you ask a Lawyer when a company should hire a lawyer they would likely respond "now".

Reactions: 1 person
I believe that AA will allow the election.

But as a group, you don't know jack $%#@ about when public companies need to hire lawyers.
AA isn't seeking to hire lawyers so it can prevent an election.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2012/05/american-airlines-sues-to-stop.html/
American Airlines sues to stop union election for passenger service agents
Judge blocks union election at American Airlines
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20120614/us-travel-brief-american-airlines-union-election/
Appeals court says judge erred in blocking union election at American Airlines
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2012/10/appeals-court-says-judge-erred-in-blocking-union-election-at-american-airlines.html/

http://blogs.star-telegram.com/sky_talk/2012/11/justice-scalia-denies-americans-request-to-halt-passenger-service-election.html
Justice Scalia denies American's request to halt passenger service election
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2012/11/american-airlines-to-appeal-union-ruling-to-u-s-supreme-court.html/
In a filing Thursday with the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, American Airlines said it plans to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn a decision that permits a union representation vote by American’s passenger service agents.
The carrier asked the appeals court to recall and stay its Nov. 1 mandate while American appealed the decision. That would prevent the National Mediation Board from proceeding with an election sought by the Communications Workers of American.

Reactions: 3 people
My,my,my! ------- Things are getting interesting! ------ Hey Maan! Pass me another rum and coke!

Latest posts