IS IT TRUE?

Nov 20, 2005
I heard that the new US Airways is so excited about the future that they want to start a crew hub in IND or FLL (to feed the cruise connections)

I also heard that there will be satellite bases in the california and other cities if the US West F/A contract ever get settled.

With the stocks going up (now at $37) and the cheap operations, it might be a possibility they said.

I also heard that there will be flying to Brazil and Peru from PHX. Any truth? Don't you just hate rumours? :p

US AIRWAYS GROUP INC (NYSE:LCC) Delayed quote data

Last Trade: 33.05
Trade Time: Nov 18
Change: 1.27 (3.70%)
Prev Close: 34.32
Open: 34.35
Bid: N/A
Ask: N/A
1y Target Est: 30.40

Day's Range: 32.86 - 34.35
52wk Range: 20.10 - 34.55
Volume: 529,800
Avg Vol (3m): 1,073,780
Market Cap: 1.19B
P/E (ttm): N/A
EPS (ttm): -2.61
Div & Yield: N/A (N/A)

I have heard that the idea of satelite bases for US-west was tossed around or desired. Anyone from the west that would know about this? I guess if there were section 6 negotiatons going on over there we would know. As for new crew bases, well if we all think PIT is senior, just imagine how senior FLL would be as a crew base? Whewwwww. All mentioned would be pretty nice for just about everyone. Hopefully there is an element of truth to it.

Yep...open a crew base in FLL and fully staff it and in 2 years close it down. Thats the NEW USAIRWAYS..!!!

SL

From my understanding, America West approached AFA and negotiated the Satelite Bases because the company really wanted this to happen. It is to their best interest to finish the US West FA contract, if they want to make this a reality.
So the FLL could become a satelite base.
I believe the other big carriers have Satelite Bases such as American, I am not experienced in this area. Perhaps a flight attendant from another airline can explain it.

Also according to the AFA Negotiations Team, they will be meeting in mediation with the company the week of December 12, 2005. Negotiations over our current contract will once again be in focus.

I am hoping that they make some progress, so cross your fingers!

It's great to hear that US-west will be back in negotiations with mgmt. Goodluck with it! ! ! !

Is it just me or does it seem like every time we're in negotiations the "new crew base in a desirable location" gets trotted out?

Dea

Is it just me or does it seem like every time we're in negotiations the "new crew base in a desirable location" gets trotted out?

Dea

That's news to me, but I know the satelite bases have been tentatively agreed on already in the contract. I'm not really sure how satelite bases work, but I've heard that it's like an extension of a crew base. Pairings would be built in those satelite bases and block holders can bid those pairings. If not covered, they deadhead reserves or block holders there. I've heard this is especially good for commuters, so they won't have to fly to their crew base. They can just start their trip from the satelite base. If anyone here knows more about satelite base, correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe the other big carriers have Satelite Bases such as American, I am not experienced in this area. Perhaps a flight attendant from another airline can explain it.

The current satellite bases at AA are SAN, MSP, ATL. The f/as in these bases begin and end all trips at that base. The satellites are (for want of a better term) self-managing. There are no reserves, no standbys. The base management is located at the "mother ship"--for SAN, it's LAX; for MSP, it's ORD, and ATL is a satellite of MIA.

If a f/a in the satellite is sick or otherwise unable to fly their trip, they contact a phone tree of other f/as in the base. SOMEONE has to cover the trip even if they are scheduled to be off that day or days. No one is flown in to cover the trip. If trips cancel because the trip is not covered, the company will close the satellite. It's that simple. No playing games.

If one of the f/as in the satellite is abusing the system, the f/as in that satellite have to deal with the problem. The company makes it clear that either the f/as make it work or no satellite.

Just FYI, FLL is not an AA satellite. The trips that begin and end at FLL are on the MIA bid sheet. MIA, FLL, and PBI are all covered by MIA flight attendants--just as (domestically) LGA, EWR, and JFK are all covered by LGA flight attendants. (The JFK base is strictly International.) To differentiate between satellites and these situations, the company uses the term co-terminal. It gets a little messy when a trip begins at one co-terminal and ends at another. The company is required to provide transportation back to the originating co-terminal. LAX, LGB, ONT, BUR, and SNA are co-terminals. For the convenience of the f/as though, the company attempts to create bid lines that begin and end in those co-terminals; so, a f/a with sufficient seniority who lives in the BUR vicinity need never fly out of LAX.

AA has other satellites in the planning stage. I've heard rumors that TPA (or maybe MCO) and AUS are under serious consideration. One of the main criteria for creating a satellite (other than a lot of origination flying from that city) is that there are a lot of commuters from that city who would want to fly from the satellite.

This may be way more info than you wanted, but this is the way that satellites work at AA.

I heard that the new US Airways is so excited about the future that they want to start a crew hub in IND or FLL (to feed the cruise connections)

I also heard that there will be satellite bases in the california and other cities if the US West F/A contract ever get settled.

With the stocks going up (now at $37) and the cheap operations, it might be a possibility they said.

I also heard that there will be flying to Brazil and Peru from PHX. Any truth? Don't you just hate rumours? :p

Ok...let's get back to the original posters comments please.
1. Loves 2 Dish = doesn't have to be true, but good enough to insight a riot.
2. crew hub in IND or Fll (to feed the cruise connections), yep Port of Indy has 'em lined up, down the dock, all the way down to Kentucky to feed the cruise lines. USE tried with poor schedules and poor connections to feed FLL/MIA/PBI and could never figure out what time the ship left the dock.
3. The USW F/A contract getting settled = probably not in our lifetime.
4. Stocks going up??? Hearing tests will be provided to all employees believing everything they hear, and vision testing for those that cannot read the handwriting on the wall.
5. Flying to a foreign country? Not unheard of, very possible. Flying there for very long? Not likely. Profits are skimmed regularly.
In My Own Opinion of Course.

Who died and made you the newscaster?
Who are you? Miss Cleo? Sorry Ms. Negative predictor, I won't mark your words and please.... don't rain on my parade! :p

"He's the Daddy!" :shock:

"Call me now" :rolleyes:

Seriously though if there was any expansion now or in the future they would not tell any mid to lower level workers. Although it is interesting that they are amending contracts to include the possibility.

Latest posts