Is the AMT Pension next concession of the TWU?

TWU informer

Veteran
Nov 4, 2003
There sure are alot of rumors floating around the Tulsa Base about AA's desire to "buy out" in some form our defined pension.

Any bets on TWU's ability to "fight" against such a desire?

There are few details, but the widespread rumor is not your normal run of the mill type, there is something going on here.

There sure are alot of rumors floating around the Tulsa Base about AA's desire to "buy out" in some form our defined pension.

There are few details, but the widespread rumor is not your normal run of the mill type, there is something going on here.

The company will need to flush the AMT pension and convert it into a 401k in order to separate the maintenance bases from the airline. I have no doubts that the AMT's penison is on the chopping block.

Haven't heard that one yet, so I put in a call to a local insider and he did confirm that the company has expressed interest in it but nothing further as of yet.

Well if the company is successful, then every work group at aa that has a pension can kiss it goodbye....no?

Well if the company is successful, then every work group at aa that has a pension can kiss it goodbye....no?

Yes and No. Yes,every work group will probably lose their pension because of the precedent set by the TWU,and No,it will probably take a while to take it away from the other work groups since they don't have the "sheep" in their ranks that we do.

The company will probably offer to give back our holidays and sicktime for the pension "buyout". The "sheep" will vote yes like they always do and the pension will be history.

I heard today that DAL filed to stop their pilots pension. It looks like only a matter of time before all company defined pension plans are eliminated in the airline industry. I have no doubt that if that rumor is true, and the company wants our pension, the TWU will cave. It's all about the dues.

Look at it this way. It would appear that when all is said and done, AA will be the only kid on the block with a traditioanl pension plan. For AA, it will be a major disadvantage for them. I think that eventually, the pensions will become major factors.

Look at it this way. It would appear that when all is said and done, AA will be the only kid on the block with a traditioanl pension plan. For AA, it will be a major disadvantage for them. I think that eventually, the pensions will become major factors.
This company is all about the top few guys. Look at the millions reding made selling stock just 1 week before the announcement of more shares to be soled on the open market a few weeks back. Our pension plans will only last as long as the millions keep flowing into the upper tier. When it becomes a choice between their pockets and ours we dont have a chance.

According to the bubbalievers of the TWU, didn't we give up the farm to save our pensions and everyone a job?

Why then, is this even an issue?

According to the bubbalievers of the TWU, didn't we give up the farm to save our pensions and everyone a job?

Why then, is this even an issue?
Because the twu believes that the mechanics of this airline are responsible for the rise in fuel and must continue to give more by themselves in order to subsidized cheap fares for the flying public. :shock: :shock: :p

Because the twu believes that the mechanics of this airline are responsible for the rise in fuel and must continue to give more by themselves in order to subsidized cheap fares for the flying public. :shock: :shock: :p
<_< ---- That would be funny if it weren't so true! But it is, so it ain't! At the rate we're going, I'll have to work tell I'm seventy+!! :shock: Ever hear the frase: "retire on the job?" :p I know a lot of younger people doing exactly that! ;)

<_< ---- That would be funny if it weren't so true! But it is, so it ain't! At the rate we're going, I'll have to work tell I'm seventy+!! :shock: Ever hear the frase: "retire on the job?" :p I know a lot of younger people doing exactly that! ;)

I've been preparing for retirement. I've been practicing recently. "HI THERE! WELCOME TO WALMART!" I think I got it down pretty good.

what if a proposal to maintain pensions for the 45 yrs ol and older or 25 yrs of service were offered. People younger than that should be preparing via other means...

what if a proposal to maintain pensions for the 45 yrs ol and older or 25 yrs of service were offered. People younger than that should be preparing via other means...
Yes because in the spirit of true twu unionism, they would sellout their young for an "I Got Mine" deal. :down: