Is the TWU really working out a deal with the IAM?

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
Here's the latest rumor that seems to be 'picking up steam'.
A rumor generated out of Pittsburgh has the TWU working out a deal with the IAM, thereby selling out its own membership. Supposedly, the IAM will pay the TWU so much money per member for x amount of years, in return the TWU withdraws its petition for an election which basically hands over all its America West members to the IAM.
The IAM is also apparently set to withdraw its organizing drive at Continental so the TWU can be the sole petitioner there.
That's the rumor. Maybe 700 could help substantiate this or shoot this down from the IAM's side.

My opinion on the matter is that I do not believe the above to be true, however, I'm just on the outside looking in. I think there may have been some talk between the two unions as I believe the AFLCIO did in fact get involved in some capacity but I would find it troubling if it were true. Let's hope there is an election and democracy rules. There is bad blood between these two unions which goes all the way back to the American Airlines ordeal which put the screws to IAM members, so any deal between these two unions seems unlikely IMO.

One thing I'm sure of, the TWU was given many more cards then they actually needed. CLT gave around 400, and about another dozen cities helped clean things up to secure an election if the TWU wants one. I also believe the NMB will rule on an election and that that is the only thing the TWU is wating on.

If there is an election then IMO the TWU would get more votes than the IAM and that is why the IAM is shouting from on top the hill about a complete decert.

regards,

Interesting.

If the TWU did this then what's to stop another union, such as the IBT, to come in and petition for an election? Say that the TWU did sell it's membership to the IAM, whose members are already unhappy, this would be a perfect opportunity for the IBT to organize two groups (US/AWA FSA) of unhappy people. The membership drive would be a walk in the park.

There has been no update on TWU local 580 website since mar 22. They stated on the mar 20 update to expect a decision from nmb early to mid April.

Amazing you can buy out your opponent before an election. :angry:

Oh yeah thats progress in the name of workers rights. Just goes to show you that union and the management are one in the same. It's all about money.

Amazing you can buy out your opponent before an election. :angry:

Oh yeah thats progress in the name of workers rights. Just goes to show you that union and the management are one in the same. It's all about money.

Certainly it wouldn't be done in the name of workers rights. $.

If the rumor did manifest itself as being true then I would guess that TWU represented employees might have a legal standing regarding duty of fair representation. Hopefully this strong rumor will be dispelled with an NMB determination and the TWU being placed on a ballot.

regards,

Why would you want to draga stock clerk into this discussion? It's not his place. He's not fleet service. Please don't encourage him.

It is my understanding that something for sure is being communicated between the IAM and TWU with AFLCIO assistance. I do not believe it is final though like some have said. It is also my understanding that 700 is in the IAM Boss'loop and may know what is up. Since 700 responds to everything else under fleet service and has like 9,000 post then it should naturally follow that he will respond to this rumor, unless some things are under wraps for now.

One thing is for sure, if I'm a TWU member then I'm on the phone finding out what is up.

My hope is that there will still be an election and that the IAM Regime will be booted off your property. No way do I see them winning and that is why they refuse to want an election. Again, I am on the outside so if the rumor is true then workers lose again to $.

regards,

Don't put any credence to me not posting, I have not contacted anyone on the topic, nor do I know if it is true or a rumor.

And seems similar to how the HP agents did not get to vote on any contract and was placed under the East's CBA with steps instead of immediate equality.

Don't put any credence to me not posting, I have not contacted anyone on the topic, nor do I know if it is true or a rumor.

And seems similar to how the HP agents did not get to vote on any contract and was placed under the East's CBA with steps instead of immediate equality.

700 does have a point there. The CWA/IBT didn't even allow a vote for pete's sake. And to be brought up in installments is a joke. And let's not even talk about allowing management to 'dig in' more scope language by allowing shift managers to do union work up to 2 hours a day. 70 shift managers to be hired now, many more to follow. My bet is that overtime dries up for the dues members.

At any rate, a $ deal between the TWU/IAM would be just as bad for democracy and one that I'm sure Bob Owens would introduce to the Continental rampers over on the Continental board. And justly so.

regards,

700 does have a point there. The CWA/IBT didn't even allow a vote for pete's sake. And to be brought up in installments is a joke. And let's not even talk about allowing management to 'dig in' more scope language by allowing shift managers to do union work up to 2 hours a day. 70 shift managers to be hired now, many more to follow. My bet is that overtime dries up for the dues members.
At any rate, a $ deal between the TWU/IAM would be just as bad for democracy and one that I'm sure Bob Owens would introduce to the Continental rampers over on the Continental board. And justly so.

regards,
the TWU shld cut a deal,they cant help the ramp,take what they can get and let fleet move forward with the IAM

the TWU shld cut a deal,they cant help the ramp,take what they can get and let fleet move forward with the IAM
Move forward with the IAM???
Where have you been hiding??
If you call the outsourcing of 3/4 of your stations moving forward, then you are really out of touch. If the IAM and their current CBA are forced upon the west people, you will lose most of your outstations along with many fleet jobs. :down:

Move forward with the IAM???
Where have you been hiding??
If you call the outsourcing of 3/4 of your stations moving forward, then you are really out of touch. If the IAM and their current CBA are forced upon the west people, you will lose most of your outstations along with many fleet jobs. :down:

Fleet service west will experience great 'pain' under the IAM agreement. The IAM Iron Clad agreement prohibits the majority of America West stations from having class 1 protections. I am fully aware of the reports that IAM loyalist are fanning telling the West employees how if you vote for them it will position them in negotiations to fight like hell for you. The 30% wage increases, double time, paid sick time, IAM privilige, more vacation, more holidays, etc., is witness to just how arrogant they are.

In fairness, it is possible that 3 or 4 West stations might squeek into class 1 category but even in class 1 stations, the IAM Iron Clad agreement provides for contracting out in the form of 'ready reserves', who are seasonal/promotional help who get basically nothing other than a 'cheap labor' wage.
Unfortunately, I wish the above was only opinion but it's in the agreement.

One thing is for sure, everyone is better off with no union than to be stuck with the IAM and paying over $500 a year for nothing.

regards,

Latest posts