Is the West Coast Toast?

ClueByFour

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
3,566
37
www.usaviation.com
I can see how.

I've paid anywhere between $198 and $2000 to fly from PIT-LAX/SAN/SFO/SEA/SNA.

I'd pay US $400-500 for a three week AP. I won't do it when AA wants $220. I'd pay US $1000 for a walkup. Not $1500-1800 sometimes when AA/UA will sell it for $1000.
 

Seatacus

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
2,959
171
Puget Sound
www.usaviation.com
Last week we had a corporate liason person in our station (SEA) for a chat. He said the transcons are losing millions of dollars. If this is true then what is the point of the West Coast stations? Maybe it is time to say good bye to the last remnants of PSA.
 

D3o2r8kdrvr

Member
Dec 13, 2002
50
0
Where have you been?

We're all done. This place will be in shutdown mode by Thursday provided a Presidential intervention.
 

tug_slug

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
550
0
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/17/2002 8:48:03 PM ClueByFour wrote:

I can see how.

I've paid anywhere between $198 and $2000 to fly from PIT-LAX/SAN/SFO/SEA/SNA.

I'd pay US $400-500 for a three week AP. I won't do it when AA wants $220. I'd pay US $1000 for a walkup. Not $1500-1800 sometimes when AA/UA will sell it for $1000.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Your forgetting something... cargo. Its not much but it helps
 

TomBascom

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
660
0
3A
www.greenfieldtech.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/17/2002 10:11:04 PM wings396 wrote:

Do we have any routes that make a profit anymore....
----------------
[/blockquote]

Don't look at individual routes -- that's how you get into the "shrink the airline" death spiral. The health of the network is what matters.
 

Ramp Rogue

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
724
81
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/17/2002 8:38:59 PM Seatacus wrote:

Maybe it is time to say good bye to the last remnants of PSA. [/blockquote]

This is the best idea I have heard in a long time. And while you are at it, get rid of all the lazy psa ramp agents. They are the only ones that need the protection of a union, because the don't pull their weight. Crellin should be the first to go!
 

USFlyer

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
2,084
292
[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/17/2002 8:38:59 PM Seatacus wrote:

for a chat. He said the transcons are losing millions of dollars. If this is true then what is the point of the West Coast stations? Maybe it is time to say good bye to the last remnants of PSA.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Not profitable? Sheesh, you mean those $600-$1600 fares I pay every week to SEA are not earning the company any money?! It has become near to impossible to get ANY seat to SEA lately, especially this week ... look at the loads today and Friday! Upgrades, forget about it, especially when 50 percent of the cabin is a US1. I laughed last Friday when you guys started boarding... called for Preferreds... about 40-50 people on an A319 stood up!
 

Dea Certe

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
889
0
Amazing. How is it possible we lose money on the transcons? They are usually packed! I would really like to know how they arrived at those numbers. Can someone out there tell me?

Fuel costs? Aren't most of the agents pretty much part-timers? Catering? Would using the 757's make difference here? Inflight entertainment? FF awards?

I don't understand. Please explain.
 
OP
ClueByFour

ClueByFour

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
3,566
37
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/19/2002 5:24:32 AM Dea Certe wrote:

Amazing. How is it possible we lose money on the transcons? They are usually packed! I would really like to know how they arrived at those numbers. Can someone out there tell me?

..

I don't understand. Please explain.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Beats me .

The flights I'm on (albeit normally on the weekend leaders--Thursday/Friday/Sunday) are full. Always full.

And the West Coast folks rock. Last week, I was in SFO on business/pleasure for a week. A great agent from the Club in SFO called to let me know that the club would be closed for some reason when my flight departed, but they'd made arrangements with the President's Club (CO) for some access. What truly amazed me was that I was leaving on a Saturday redeye.

I miss PSA.
 

JayBrian

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
464
6
PHL
Visit site
I just had a round trip transcon and the flights were anything but full.

9 Dec. Flt 17 PHL-LAX B757 First Full, Main cabin about 20 passengers

11 Dec. Flt 64 LAX-PHL A321 First almost full, Main cabin about 30 passengers.

I asked a flight attendent each way if this was a typical load, they both replied yes because it was such an early flight. Maybe these flights could be rescheduled a bit.

Happy Holidays,

Jay
 

Dea Certe

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
889
0
Jay,

It's possible due to Dr Bronner telling the press he would take us into Chapter 7 has frightened many people from booking away from US Airways. This was not "leaked" from the unions, this came straight out of Dr Bronner's mouth.

Another reason could be Ben Baldanza's $100 change fee. Especially since every other carrier realized what a huge mistake that was and rescinded the change fee.
 

sdavis29

Advanced
Nov 13, 2002
222
0
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/20/2002 7:22:08 PM Dea Certe wrote:

Jay,

It's possible due to Dr Bronner telling the press he would take us into Chapter 7 has frightened many people from booking away from US Airways. This was not "leaked" from the unions, this came straight out of Dr Bronner's mouth.
dea,
the flt in question is a 757 departing phl at 650 am..the only people who can catch this flt have to orig in phl.

Another reason could be Ben Baldanza's $100 change fee. Especially since every other carrier realized what a huge mistake that was and rescinded the change fee.
----------------
[/blockquote]