Is There A Future For Isp?

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
As one of more than a few folks who prefer to fly from ISP rather than LGA, I am just wondering if anyone has heard anything about plans for expanding/cutting service here. I have heard rumors that service will be cut again (now down to 4 R/T buzz buckets [affectionate term]), that the station might be closed altogether, and that we might actually get jets before summer.

This station represents a potential strike at WN as they expand to open their new terminal. The only other company with a workable schedule is DL, and I would hate to have to go back to them........

Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

My thanks and best to you ALL........

I would hope eventually they'd add some ISP-CLT flights back in, but I'm sure they're going crazy right now trying to figure out what to put where and when. I believe its called the hokey-pokey.
You put your RJ in, you put your Saab in, you pull your jet out, then shake it all about...

tadjr: u was probably making toooo much $$$$ Clt-Isp. I remember years ago we flew PIT to San Antonia, i think at least 3-4 non-stop flights a day. Always full. You couldn't hardly ever non-rev and get a seat. Company pulled completley out. Said we weren't making any money on those flights. Go figure. <_<

Light Years,

I think that would be a great idea--the ads should play to the business traveler....use On The Road Again or similar music (Leavin on a Jet Plane is being used by the Southwest TV show).

I don't think you would have a hard time finding loyal customers who would be happy to participate---most that I speak to feel like I do about you all.....

Tad,

ISP-CLT was a Piedmont route actually, flown with BRAND NEW 737-300's at the time. Boy I wish............

My thanks and best wishes to you ALL.......

If US does something like that, PHL-BNA, LUV will simply drop 2x daily in, and that's that.

Simply put, every airline that has gone head to head with LUV on the same route has lost. Every. Single. Time.

The LUV fares are so low, they themselves _generate_ traffic. Let's face it--if you lived in Baltimore and had an office in Providence, you teleconferenced before the mid 90s. Now you fly up and back for the day.

I suppose US could try to beat LUV to the punch with LUV type fares, but will bleed to death doing it.

What amazes me about US is that they just don’t seem to know how to make money in a market or make the best of high numbers of passengers. Back in 1997, the last year USAir mainline was in ISP, they had there highest load factors the last month there were there. They used the same old song and dance to explain there leaving of Long Island, yes, we have lots of passengers, but we don’t make any money and so on blah, blah, blah. So they leave and SWA comes in and sets all-time passenger records for ISP and now Southwest is building there own $ 60 Million dollar terminal. Looks like ISP got the last laugh and US looks like it bailed out with its tail between its legs.

I belong to the loyalist crowd. To get to BWI from ORF I fly up to PHL then back. I could go nonstop on the Greyhound bus in the sky and take my chances (about 20% in ORF - this area is the obesity capital of the world - true) of having someone's buttock in my lap as I don't like showing up super early and always get the middle seat on SW. They don't care about me any more than the Wal Mart greeters REALLY care about you. Do you think any of them REALLY care?

It's the US employees who prove they do care.

And I always root for the underdog when the underdog offers the better product. It's depressing sometimes how often the best does not always succeed - look at AMD/Intel (you won't find anything Intel in my house), look at popular TV, look at airlines...look at sports....

I think that US has to worry a little right now, but there still is time to get in SWA's face at PHL. Only the PHL-PVD route had no competition on it. TPA has Airtran, PHX has AWA, LAS has AWA, MDW/ORD has everyone including ATA, and MCO has Airtran. SO on these routes I would say that US is holding their own.
Now, if SWA comes out in the next couple of months and adds on cities like MHT, ISP, FLL, PBI, HOU, LAX, and RDU, then there is definitely trouble on the horizon for US and the sun will be setting at a quicker rate.
I don't want to sound to gloom and doom, but if PHL is the most profitable hub for US, they need to add flights to cities that SWA does not serve yet and lower the prices.
And yes ART, there is a chance for ISP to survive and be a part of the US future.

I’m afraid to say, but I don’t see USAirways doing anything to improve their service at ISP in the near future. Currently, there use of decade old Dash-8’s and Beach 1900’s in an arena of RJ’s gives the appearance to the novice traveler of a sub par operation. With flights going to PHL that are always delayed or cancelled to do maintenance, SWA appears like the better operation.

If one has lmited assets (planes), why put in on an ISP route when you are not getting much rev from those flights. Are you not better off putting your limited flights on a route your not competing on, and have the ability to generate more revenue

Latest posts