It just keeps getting better and better

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
So far this morning...

B757, BOS-DFW, makes emergency landing at LIT, engine stalll
B737, DFW-MIA, makes emergency landing at TPA, "active decompression" (never heard that term before)
B767 arrives MIA from Santo Domingo...passenger with suspected cholera transported to hospital

(Day before yesterday morning, I had a 2+ hour delay at OKC, for a maintenance issue. The plane had overnighted at OKC. Had a plane load of passengers all connecting at DFW--probably 90% missed their connections.)

Now, is there anyone left who questions why I am still blinded by the glamor of it all. :lol:

So far this morning...

B757, BOS-DFW, makes emergency landing at LIT, engine stalll
B737, DFW-MIA, makes emergency landing at TPA, "active decompression" (never heard that term before)
B767 arrives MIA from Santo Domingo...passenger with suspected cholera transported to hospital

(Day before yesterday morning, I had a 2+ hour delay at OKC, for a maintenance issue. The plane had overnighted at OKC. Had a plane load of passengers all connecting at DFW--probably 90% missed their connections.)

Now, is there anyone left who questions why I am still blinded by the glamor of it all. :lol:

Ok so thats four flight out of over 3000 flight amr operates everyday..........What is your poing?

Ok so thats four flight out of over 3000 flight amr operates everyday..........What is your poing?
Apparently you must not be flying damajagua. You mean to tell me you have not encountered major maintenance issues? Tell me what you're flying!
BTW add Flight 802 running off the runway at Montreal, though that is probably not a maintenance issue. Thank God everyone is okay. DFW crew in cabin.

NOW here is some INSANITY!!

384 departed DFW 2 HOURS late, to AFW for MBV. DUE TO MAINTENANCE- 2 TIRE CHANGES (1 tire @ 100 psi, other changed per GPM)!! HOW LONG DID 384 SIT ON THE RAMP, awaiting Flight Crew???

My "poing" (I can't find that word in the dictionary) is that these are just the incidents that were made public--with the exception of my delay at OKC which was not. I know of multiple others that happen everyday with things that have been deferred and deferred and deferred.

I was setting up my galley at DFW recently and the captain came out of the cockpit and said, "Don't even break up your ice. We are not taking this airplane." There were 3 items in the log book which according to him, any one of them should have grounded the airplane until repaired. And, they were entered over a period of days!!!! He was most disturbed that his fellow pilots were willing to take an a/c in that condition. Even after he notified the powers that be, a maintenance supervisor/manager/flunky came to the airplane and tried to force the captain to take it. Fortunately the captain stuck by his guns. The flunky yelled at him, "I'm calling the chief pilot." Captain said, "Good. And, I 'm calling the FAA." At that point, they decided to take the plane out of service. :lol:

My "poing" (I can't find that word in the dictionary) is that these are just the incidents that were made public--with the exception of my delay at OKC which was not. I know of multiple others that happen everyday with things that have been deferred and deferred and deferred.

I was setting up my galley at DFW recently and the captain came out of the cockpit and said, "Don't even break up your ice. We are not taking this airplane." There were 3 items in the log book which according to him, any one of them should have grounded the airplane until repaired. And, they were entered over a period of days!!!! He was most disturbed that his fellow pilots were willing to take an a/c in that condition. Even after he notified the powers that be, a maintenance supervisor/manager/flunky came to the airplane and tried to force the captain to take it. Fortunately the captain stuck by his guns. The flunky yelled at him, "I'm calling the chief pilot." Captain said, "Good. And, I 'm calling the FAA." At that point, they decided to take the plane out of service. :lol:
It's refreshing thst you found a Captain with cojones...most of them are all too willing to keep deferring. It goes to show you that the almighty dollar rules in the cockpit as well.

Even after he notified the powers that be, a maintenance supervisor/manager/flunky came to the airplane and tried to force the captain to take it. Fortunately the captain stuck by his guns. The flunky yelled at him, "I'm calling the chief pilot." Captain said, "Good. And, I 'm calling the FAA." At that point, they decided to take the plane out of service. :lol:

FLUNKY? Who is the flunky? A mechanic? Who? Where are you so high on the food change that you call someone a flunky?

Let me tell you something about the FAA....If the aircraft had LEGAL deferrals that had time limits on them, THE FAA WILL DO NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! NADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As long as deferrals were made properly, that's what counts!

As far as the Captain's refusal of the aircraft, that is his call and his call alone.

When a Captain chooses to beat his chest and impress the cabin crew over a legal deferral which has plenty of time until repair, and when he/she says they will take the delay for the repair.....believe you me....................HE'S GONNA TAKE A DELAY WHICH WILL REGRET HIM MAKING THAT CHOICE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Great, now it's Maint crews fighting with CP and cabin crews, base maint against line, admin and exec mgt against everyone, oh the humanity....

Great, now it's Maint crews fighting with CP and cabin crews, base maint against line, admin and exec mgt against everyone, oh the humanity....

It has been ongoing for ages.... It's the I AM THE CAPTAIN vs. I AM MAINTENANCE MANAGEMENT vs. I AM THE PURSER "hear me roar and excercise my authority or else" game.

The captain has a right to refuse a perfectly legal aircraft and maintnenace has the right to keep the plane in service.

Just don't assume that a captain's refusal to take an aicraft means the aircraft is non-airworthy.

It has been ongoing for ages.... It's the I AM THE CAPTAIN vs. I AM MAINTENANCE MANAGEMENT vs. I AM THE PURSER "hear me roar and excercise my authority or else" game.

The captain has a right to refuse a perfectly legal aircraft and maintnenace has the right to keep the plane in service.

Just don't assume that a captain's refusal to take an aicraft means the aircraft is non-airworthy.

This gave me a good laugh, your funny. I'm on Int and each and every flight there is a Purser, but I don'y think there quite as demading as domestic pursers. I find the most respectful are on the maintnenace side. Anyway, about spot on.

I've never tried to talk a crew into taking an airplane, only laid out the facts. I trust their Judgement to know whether they are comfortable taking it or not, with one exception, when they want me to whip something so they can go. That I will not do. Its happened, very rarely but it has happened. One guy even tried to pull rank "I'm the captain and I'm telling to to sign it off". I laughed at him, siad "If you are so high and mighty you sign it off, if you didnt write it up I never would have known about it but since you put it in the book now I do and the plane is out of service'. He was quite pissed when my manager backed me up and said your plane is out of service. Like I said, its very rare, most Crews are very sensible, and I have seen where some guys try and talk crews into taking an airplane with things they arent comfortable with, I dont think its right, even if its leagl, its their call and they can settle it with the Chief pilot.

FLUNKY? Who is the flunky? A mechanic? Who? Where are you so high on the food change that you call someone a flunky?

Let me tell you something about the FAA....If the aircraft had LEGAL deferrals that had time limits on them, THE FAA WILL DO NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! NADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As long as deferrals were made properly, that's what counts!

As far as the Captain's refusal of the aircraft, that is his call and his call alone.

When a Captain chooses to beat his chest and impress the cabin crew over a legal deferral which has plenty of time until repair, and when he/she says they will take the delay for the repair.....believe you me....................HE'S GONNA TAKE A DELAY WHICH WILL REGRET HIM MAKING THAT CHOICE IN THE FIRST PLACE!
"Soupervisor/manager/flunky" is entirely correct verbage and, how stated (lumping all three titles into the same basket), is not directed at mechanics at all - rather, it's a shot at the salaried "Good Ol' Boy" club.

Apparently you must not be flying damajagua. You mean to tell me you have not encountered major maintenance issues? Tell me what you're flying!
BTW add Flight 802 running off the runway at Montreal, though that is probably not a maintenance issue. Thank God everyone is okay. DFW crew in cabin.

I fly an average of 130 hours a month..........and I have to say over 95% of my flights operates without any mechanical problems.
And pretty much on time. Maybe am just lucky.

Latest posts